Technical Engine cutting out

Currently reading:
Technical Engine cutting out

GBUK101

Hi, new member and new to the Fiat 500. I have a 59 plate Fiat 500 Pop which is great apart from my one issue. Often when I start the car and put on the rear window heater the engine cuts out, this also happens occasionally when sitting with the engine running at lights or junctions. My initial thoughts are it's battery related as the battery in looks tiny in comparison to the space it sits in. Just looking for a little advice on what the issue could be? Thanks in advance ?

Hello it could easily be the hatch wiring, but if it's not been replaced it will certainly need a new engine earth strap, this goes from the body to the gearbox under the battery tray 300mm long 25mm2 thick and 8mm holes on each end, battery will look small but is correct we have a 59 plate too.

Last edited:
Hello it could easily be the hatch wiring, but if it's not been replaced it will certainly need a new engine earth strap, this goes from the body to the gearbox under the battery tray 300mm long 25mm2 thick and 8mm holes on each end, battery will look small but is correct we have a 59 plate too.

Thanks for the reply, is this an easy job to do? The car is still in its 3 month warranty period but if it's an easy fix I can do it myself.

If battery looks lost in battery tray, you need a Stop Start one instead. typecastboy has found somewhere useful online.

Thanks for the reply, is this an easy job to do? The car is still in its 3 month warranty period but if it's an easy fix I can do it myself.

Yes if you're good with a spanner, remove battery and tray, next bit is trickier remove the clutch slave cylinder( just un bolt don't remove) not hard but prevent the piston pushing out or you'll have to bleed the system then it's just the two bolts one at each end, clean the mating surfaces if it's original it's probably dust or snapped.

Does it stall at idle when a large electrical load is applied? If say the headlights are on the fan and you flash the main beam all at the same time, my though is power loss due to a possibly failed main earth strap meaning the alternator cannot charge enough(though a good condition battery should make up the difference in the short term)
Or is it just the rear screen causing the issue?

Last edited:
Does it stall at idle when a large electrical load is applied? If say the headlights are on the fan and you flash the main beam all at the same time, my though is power loss due to a possibly failed main earth strap meaning the alternator cannot charge enough(though a good condition battery should make up the difference in the short term)
Or is it just the rear screen causing the issue?

Just been out to give it a try, turned on everything, fans on full, rear screen heater and lights and it ran fine, no cut out at all. Now thinking about it, it does seem to happen when the has been running for a short time without issue. For example as I park at work, I will pull into a parking bay and as I come to a stop the engine will cut out every time. Another instance that I've noticed it happening is after being parked and need to do a u turn, often when I put it in reverse the engine will cut out. Then intermittently at idle waiting at lights or a junction, but it does restart straight away when I turn off and then turn on again with the key.

Last edited:
Still check those items might I suggest servicing it even if the garage has done some things like changed the oil?

Check air filter
Install Iridium plugs not standard ones( a common upgrade )
Check breather hoses thick on top of cam cover and thin one to air filter
Check the plug leads when doing plugs
Check coolant level using a dip stick

Unrelated but needs looking at look underneath the rear at the spring cups ideally right up to them or by removing the wheels, one of ours cracked off! its not an uncommon thing on the older cars check this whilst under warranty ?

There are some common items that often require replacing
Most of the front suspension, rear shocks, door handles, thermostat(plastic body version), metal cooling pipe along front of engine, all parts are cheap.

Replacement key fob covers are available( genuine Fiat about £20) which is a nice touch as is new button covers

Last edited:
Well I thought it might have sorted itself out as it didn't cut out at all until I was just around the corner from home, so has gone from doing it 5/6 times a day to just once. Going to get the guy from my school's vocational centre mechanics section to have a look at the things mentioned above, thanks for the advice, will update when I know what's happening!

The guy at work is going to have a look at it on Monday, I've taken a picture of the battery as I'm still not sure it's right! Will post it when I figure out how to do it!

Here it is!

Attachments

• IMG_20210128_163313.jpg
    IMG_20210128_163313.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
Yes that's the right one, though you've lost the cover that goes over the positive and the cables look a bit corroded, this is a old pic of ours since replaced.yhe lower fixing could do with a paint if you really want.

Attachments

• 20190729_190023.jpg
    20190729_190023.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, that's one less thing to worry about! Will look into painting the lower fixing, is there a particular type of paint I should use or will any metal paint do?

Back