General EGR Valve or Boost Solenoid

Currently reading:
General EGR Valve or Boost Solenoid

...Tis a good point you make there mate! It does get sheilded pretty well in the standard punto setup, but like you say theres nothing as such infront of it with the GSR kit on.
Moving it should sort it though if thats the case.

Any progress?? You still having the problem?

Alan

Keeping the car off the road until next week as I then have 2 weeks away from work to sort everything out at once :) Hate driving a car when there is something wrong with it if you get what i mean

Made a big list of about 6 or 7 things to do and will hopefully have it running top notch for the RR day on the 3rd Feb :D

Gonna buy some vacuum hose and have a good look around the bay for a place to put it, what effect does increasing the length of the vacuum hoses have?

Last edited:
fiat changed the design of the boost valves so that the atmosphere side with the little sponge filter on was more protected

if you want to do anything with your boost valves to combat the water problems just enclose the atmosphere side connect it to a large vacuum pipe say 8 or 10 mm and run that somewhere high and dry then it wont go wrong again or just buy one from fiat then you'll have the later design

it has one pipe to vacuum one pipe to atmosphere and one to turbo boost control vacuum pot

the one that goes to atmosphere has a little filter to stop dirt getting into the system but they get blocked with crap and when water hits the dirt it completely blocks them meaning the car will not stop boosting at this point the ecu will back off the fuel injection until the problem either stops or the engine stalls basically fail safe this is why you get juddering or hesitation under acceleration

cleaning them out with carb cleaner is a good idea it saves buying a new one and aslong as it's protected in some way they don't go wrong again you can unclip the little filter housing off them an give it a proper clean if you like that's the most affective way to clean them

if you lengthen the hoses to the valve you will cause a slight delay to the valves action on the turbo meaning more lag but you may not notice it but the ecu might so be careful what you do with it as i say best way is to run the atmosphere side somewhere dry as it just has a cover over it were it is

The pipe at the bottom of the solenoid comes FROM the turbo, then the one at top left goes FROM the boost solenoid to the actuator on the turbo, and then the third one goes from the boost solenoid up into the intake manifold.

I'm not sure I can picture where the 'to atmosphere' pipe runs to but I'm sure a quick look around the bay will clear it up :)

it doesn't it's not a piep it's a filter on the valve casing

the valve has a little sponge filter on it covered buy a plastic cover clipped on that is the atmosphere side but the sponge gets filf in it so when water gets in it it wont let air back in to allow the boos off

you need to enclose this opening completely with a pipe and run that somewhere dry if you know what i mean it will take a bit of bodging and glue

you see the valve opens to allow vacuum to apply boost

when boost is no longer needed it close and allows air from atmosphere in to let the boost go but if air cannot get in enough it wont stop boosting

the valve runs on pulse width modulation so it has full control over the boost not just on and off

this filter is were the dirt is coming from when you clean them with carb cleaner

Last edited:
Back