Technical Punto 2004 1.2 16v valve shim clearances

Currently reading:
Technical Punto 2004 1.2 16v valve shim clearances

Tawclay47

Hi All,
Recently the engine started making tappet noise when accelerating at low revs. Also noisy about 4000 rpm. I changed the oil. I am going to check clearances on the valve shims. Does anyone know the correct values?
Also correct shim size might be useful.
Thanks in advance

Hi All,
Recently the engine started making tappet noise when accelerating at low revs. Also noisy about 4000 rpm. I changed the oil. I am going to check clearances on the valve shims. Does anyone know the correct values?
Also correct shim size might be useful.
Thanks in advance
There are no shims. There are 16 self adjusting hydraulic lifters (pistons with internal valves) between the camshaft lobes and the valve stem. And getting to them is not just a case of taking the cover off as there is a head extension containing all of the components to operate the valves. The hydraulic lifters cost about 10-20 euros. You can dismantle the lifters and clean them by placing them in the palm of your hand and repeatedly smashing them down onto a wooden table but that hurts! Youtube videos describe how you do that. I taped mine to the end of a hammer and then smashed the other end of the hammer onto a rock. that works well if you make sure the tape is still ok. But once the lifters get damaged with a cross forming on the slightly curved flat looking end that touches the camshaft they don't work properly. If you listen to the top end with a screwdriver handle placed to your ear you can have a good idea which lifters are not working. You will need to make some right angle tools to hold the lifters in place as you move the head extension or they drop out onto the floor. Diagram in the haynes manual. You need a long reach Ribe socket to reach the bolts under the round aluminium screw caps and you want to use a strong magnet to remove those bolts before moving the extension or they annoyingly get stuck and take forever to get out. I used about a hundred turns of thin wire and the car battery to make an electro magnet on the long reach ribe socket. Not a simple job to do all of this.

Last edited:
Invaluable video thanks. I may leave the maintenance see if the noise subsides with recent oil change.
Cheers

Back