General EGR Valve or Boost Solenoid

Currently reading:
General EGR Valve or Boost Solenoid

a1ant

-~Moderator~-
Staff member
Hello,

Car: Punto 1.9 JTD
Question: Quick question for nyone out there. Recently the power delivery on my JTD has been a bit jerky. Nothing major, and all the power is there, its just not as smooth as it normally is. I notice it most at about 2.5 RPM where there a very little "blip" in the power. Im guessing its likely to be something to do with the EGR or Boost solenoid. My thought is either that the EGR valve is sticking, or that the boost solenoid needs cleaning? Anyone had a similar problem, or have knowledge or any ideas re the above??

Any advice much appreciated!

Cheers, Alan

.....oh, and one more thing, does anyone know if/how its possible to test/clean egr valve?

Cheers, Alan

had a similar problem with a power drop arond 2.6krpm turned out to be a problem with the map, have you had yours remapped?
have you tried the afm test by disconnecting it.
i used 10k boost in mine and that made a big difference just remember to remove the afm before you use it, thats not a mistake i'll make twice

I havent had it re-mapped. I've disconnected to AFM and theres no difference, only replaced it a few months ago anyway. It feels like it might be overboosting slightly. Like i say, all the powers there, and then theres like a little hickup then its off again. Only does it occasionally, normally when accelerating in second gear and hitting about 2.5krpm. What happens if you dont disconnect the MAF when using 10k boost?

Cheers, Alan

krpm. What happens if you dont disconnect the MAF when using 10k boost?

Cheers, Alan

if you don't remove the afm when applying 10k boost you'll have to buy a new one as it will kill it. only apply it when the engine is up to temp and make sure no one stands behind the car as they'll get covered in soot.

is the power drop more noticeable at half throttle and not at full throttle as this is what mine did, it was 1st diagnosed as the afm but that did not solve it, i had a new map put on and its been fine since

I like your thinking Custard!! LoL.
Yea, its when your accelerating away (not full throttle but accelerating say away from a junction) and you've got your foot about 1/2 way down on the throtle, theres just a bit of hesitation, almost like a single misfire and then off again.
Is 10k boost a fuel additative?

I like your thinking Custard!! LoL.
Yea, its when your accelerating away (not full throttle but accelerating say away from a junction) and you've got your foot about 1/2 way down on the throtle, theres just a bit of hesitation, almost like a single misfire and then off again.
Is 10k boost a fuel additative?

its a spray goes into the air intake, about £20 i think make sure you get the diesel one, hellfrauds stock it.
i've used fuel additives and haven't noticed any difference in mpg or performance

Done a full service today, used a can of that 10k stuff! The car runs much much smoother now. I also re-set the ecu, however I still have that little stutter! Its anoying me now!!

Bit of an update.... i've narrowed it down, and it the boost solonoid. I've tried cleaning it out etc, but still not having it! Does anyone know if you can fit a manual boost contoller to diesel turbo??

Cheers, Alan

Just to bring this back up, I think mine is doing this now.

Also think that it's overboosting as usually the GSR kit makes a fluttering noise around 2-3k then a big tish if you let off the accelerator at this engine speed. Higher up the rev range the flutter usually disappears but if you take your foot off the gas it has a high pitched but quieter squeaky tish sound.

Tonight on the way back from work it when I put my foot down in 2nd or above it would lag for a second then full power, but the fluttering sound wasn't there! When you let off between 2-3k you get the higher pitched tish sound that is usually higher up the rev range...

The EGR valve has less than 600 miles on it and the MAF is disconnected

Did you ever solve this a1ant?

Just to add, when refitting the engine, the boost controller (little black box with vacuum pipes coming from it at the front of the engine which i assume is the boost controller) clip on the back of it had snapped, meaning we had to cable tie it to the bracket. Some of the vacuum pipes were stretched slightly or bent around due to us only being able to put it back one way. Could this be related? The engine has run fine up to now...

Last edited:
Hi mate,

Yes i got to the bottom of it in the end. it was the boost solenoid (or overboost valve). It was sticking slightly meaning that it was still providing boost, but wasnt providing it smoothly. In the end, i disconnected it from the car, and sprayed carb cleaner in each of the holes whilst activating the solonoid with a 6v source. lots of gunk came out and then it boosting smoothly again. Whilst i was at it, i also found the small pipe coming from the turbo to the boost solonoid was kinked (like when a hospipe gets twisted) meaning that it was restricting the flow somewhat.

Hope that helps,
Alan

Cheers for the reply mate :)
Yeah that looks like it could be my problem then! Is the boost solenoid the black box i was talking about?
Also, just driven the car and stopped to let some people driving the other way through a puddle. Pulled away again and the car went mad! Barely any power in 1st, and in 2nd as soon as the boost kicked in there was no power and the car shook really violently! Put my hazards on and rolled along at 10mph for about 30seconds and then braved the accelerator again. The shaking stopped!
It's still not boosting right though!
Any ideas what it could be? No warning lights and just used my dtc scanner with had no fault codes :(

Can driving with this problem damage the engine at all?

Hi mate,

Defiantely sounds like your boost solonoid. Its very common on the Stilo JTD that when it gets when it causes similar symptoms to what you just descibed. Most of the Stilo JTD owners move it onto the side of the battery box to stop it getting wet, and indeed some dealers are also aware of this and move it too. It doesnt get mentioned much here in the Punto section, but its in exactly the same place in the punto as it is in the stilo, and therefor suseptable to the same problem.

The boost solonoid is mounted just on top of the gearbox where it metts the engine, directly underneath the thromostat housing. It has 3 small pipes going into it and an electrical connector plug (probably blue)

My bet would be that its suffering from all the rain we have had and soaked roads. try disconnecting it all, drying out the connector with a hairdryer and squiting some carb cleaner in it.

I will be replacing mine with an electronic oost contoller in the coming months, and i certainly wont be mounting it where the current one is. If you have the time, its best to move it to the side of the battery tray.

Good luck,
Alan

I've got the one off of my old engine which looks in good nick with the clip still intact :)
Sprayed it with a bit of carb cleaner and some muck came out but not much, and I have no 6v source to activate it with :( So think I'll just fit this one when I get some time to do it! The problem has gone for now anyway but bet it will be back lol

I'm guessing I'll be needing to fit longer vacuum pipes to move it, where do i get these from?

Hello mate,

You can but the vacuume hose from places like "ratsport" thats advertised at the top of the FF page. (decent coloured stuff) or you can get plain old ordinary vacuume hose from most motor factors and even Halfords I believe.

By the sound of it changing the boost solenoid will sort the problem, as it sounds like it got soaked yesturday and was playing up and is now working better today as its not soaked.

Good luck,
Alan

IIRC its 8mm but i'd give it a quick measure when you take it off. And as for the clips, I snapped them off and replaced them with dubalee clips. Have done that to all of the fiat type clis on my cars, makes things a lot easier.

Alan

Last edited:
Back