Technical ECU Disconnect Procedure

Currently reading:
Technical ECU Disconnect Procedure

dawpooldad

Hi,

I wonder if any knowledgeable member can describe the correct procedure for disconnecting the ECU.

I have a problem with the engine momentarily stopping and the engine light coming on, then the engine restarting on over run and the engine going out and everything back to normal!

I'm sure that it has something to do with the ECU connection, so I'd like to check the contacts.

I've noticed that the battery earth connector has a quick release clamp, so does this mean that the battery should be disconnected beforehand?

Also, exactly how are the connectors removed.

If anyone can help I'd be grateful.

Best Rgds

Dawpooldad

Whoops!
Sorry, forgot to say, that it is an '09 Panda 1.1 Eco model!
Rgds
dawpooldad

For safety you could disconnect the battery first. ECUconnectors (if they are the same as on other FIAT-ECU's) have a red lever. Release the tab that holds the lever in place (IIRC push in the tab) and lift the lever.
If you want to use Electrical Contact Cleaner (please don't use WD40) make sure everything is dry again before reconnecting.
Have you considered the cranksensor to be the cause of cutting out?

gr J

Hi J
thanks for that, but this particular model doesn't have red clips or levers.

Also, I've seen a pic on the forum showing the type of connectors you're talking about and the ECU is mounted at the back of the engine.

On mine they're mounted on the side of the battery box and have some sort of sliding clip that I've tried to move but no dice and I'm frightened of doing any damage.

Thanks for your reply though.

Best Regds

dawpooldad

Hya I've got a Panda multijet with the ecu mounted alongside the battery,

There are 2 plugs each with a yellow tab and a black lever, slide the yellow tabs back and this will allow you to lift the levers, you can then pull the plugs out vertically.

The pins in the plug sockets are quite fine so don't be heavy handed when you put the plugs back in.

hope this helps (y)

Thanks blod / M.E.P
there appears to be two plugs going to my ECU!
There are like sliding clips on the plugs, but they aren't coloured and I can't see any levers.
Rgds
Dawpooldad

Thanks M.E.P.
Here's a photo.
Sorry it's not in the post as I can't get it there!!!

Rgds

Dawpooldad

Attachments

• DSC08298.JPG
    DSC08298.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 193
i very much doubt removing the multiplugs will sort out this issue
i would spend my time checking battery leads and earths then moving on to stored codes for indicators of possible engine management failure reasons then go from there

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the advice. Sorry I've not got back sooner, but the weather has been too bad to try anything.

However, I've since managed to do what you said about the clips and re-seated the plugs.

I have to say that even with the clips pulled out, the plugs were very hard to move. I did notice though, some movement in the rear plug before I got them out completely.

Since re-seating, both plugs are rock solid and since then there hasn't been a re-occurring of the engine stopping problem, so I'm hoping that it has been put to bed(fingers crossed!).

Thanks again for the help.

Rgds

dawpooldad

Back