Technical Engine ECU access via MultiEcuScan on a 2007 1.2 8V

Currently reading:
Technical Engine ECU access via MultiEcuScan on a 2007 1.2 8V

ArttuNaattor

Hello, i have purchased a 2007 1.2 Petrol as a second car. The problem i have is accessing the Engine ECU via my pre-modified ELM327 interface and MES. Same cables and adapters have been used successfullly in a Fiat Bravo, Alfa Giulietta and Giulia so i know they are good. I can access the Proxi Alignment and Service menus just fine without any adapters. However when trying to access any of the Engine ECU variants i always get a no communication response back. I have correctly selected the 03 Panda 1.2 8V variant from the menu. I tried without adapters, and with the yellow adapter. Checked via an online Eper by the cars VIN that it definitely is the 1.2 8V variant.

This is just a sanity check for me to ask if i am missing something obvious or is there a special trick for these cars that's needed to gain access? Car runs just fine so ECU itself is good.

Cables i have are these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201357279123

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
No special tricks or cables needed as far as I know

Except you may need to open the car with the remote not key.

Depending which ECU is fitted you may need the full paid version

It could be hardware or software problem

I would try some different software first

If your ELM is Bluetooth and you have an Android phone "car scanner" works on my phone(set as a 500), and "torque lite" works on a different android phone

If you are connecting via a PC then there are similar free generic programs to test with

It's possible the pins are damaged in the socket, I have seen them spread by front probing with a multi meter

Screenshot_20230517_091127.jpg
Screenshot_20230517_091412.jpg

Press the scan button on mes does it find any modules at all?

Do you get any communication lights on your interface when it's plug into the obd port
Without adapters connected it finds:

Body
Body Computer Siemens
ISO Code: 40 83 98 83 B3

Dashboard
Instrument Panel Marelli (Base)
ISO Code: 32 83 94 02 20

Both of which i can access without problems.

Yellow adapter plugged in it finds no modules when i press scan. Tried to connect to ABS via green adapter as instructed by MES and that one fails too with the same "no communication" error.

When i was scanning the modules from left to right the LED's on the interface were two red LEDs next to the side where the port is on the interface. And a variable mix of yellow and green for the remaining three LEDs

Except you may need to open the car with the remote not key.

Depending which ECU is fitted you may need the full paid version
This sounds interesting. Sadly i did not get the car with the 3-button remote key. Only 1 mechanical key was provided, it is however an original key and does have a fully functioning transponder chip. When i turn it in the drivers door it activates the central locking just fine. I did find the Ecode keycard inside the manual booklet so i have already ordered a new 3-button remote key which i can use MES to program into the car since i can access the Body computer just fine. I am running a full version of MES. Will try different software and my phone and report back!

All
I read your original post as

You can connect to other modules

But not to the engine module

@ArttuNaattor is this correct

Do you have a multimeter?
Yes this is correct. Right now i have successfully connected to

Body Computer Siemens

Dashboard

But nothing else is found on the CAN network if i click scan. I do have a multimeter if there is anything i can check with that.

Thank you for the replies so far! The pins on the OBD socket looks fine.

Attachments

• IMG_20230517_133714 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20230517_133714 (Medium).jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 31
Measure the voltage between these two pins

Just touch the top of the pins with the probe

If you jam a probe in it will damage the pins
IMG_20230517_115911.jpg

Thank you again for the help. I looked the pin7 K-Line voltage and it was 10 volts, which means there was voltage in the pins and it should work. Went to the autoparts store that is right next door and bought a cheap generic ELM327 Bluetooth brick. Tried it with Torque -> worked. Paired it with my PC, did the interface connection test inside MES and that resulted in "this interface is not compatible with ELM 1.3 and won't work with CAN". Tried it with the Engine ECU and that one did connect to the ECU without any problems. So i guess i need to use this cheap bluetooth adapter for the Engine ECU and for all the CAN stuff the pre-modified interface that i have too will work. Managed to get the info i required which is that the car indeed has an oil pressure switch circuit fault. Fuel pump error code is because the pump is out of the car at the moment.

Factory radio or aftermarket
Factory unfortunately, at least for the moment

Hopefully this thread serves someone else struggling to connect with their pre-modified ELM327 cable sets as i understand these are pretty common.

Attachments

• IMG_20230517_140044.jpg
    IMG_20230517_140044.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 24
Without adapters connected it finds:

Body
Body Computer Siemens

Dashboard

Both of which i can access without problems.

This sounds interesting. Sadly i did not get the car with the 3-button remote key. Only 1 mechanical key was provided, it is however an original key and does have a fully functioning transponder chip. When i turn it in the drivers door it activates the central locking just fine. I did find the Ecode keycard inside the manual booklet so i have already ordered a new 3-button remote key which i can use MES to program into the car since i can access the Body computer just fine. I am running a full version of MES. Will try different software and my phone and report back!
Obd2 port is locked out if the car is locked by the remote from 2012 to stop people from programing a new key via the obd port. A few cars may be similar before that especially if a factory alram is fitted

New remotes have to be pre programed before mes can add them. Here in the UK people rarely bother as they are £250 each

If it's an Active it's unlikely to have all the wiring present for remote opening

Thank you again for the help. I looked the pin7 K-Line voltage and it was 10 volts, which means there was voltage in the pins and it should work. Went to the autoparts store that is right next door and bought a cheap generic ELM327 Bluetooth brick. Tried it with Torque -> worked. Paired it with my PC, did the interface connection test inside MES and that resulted in "this interface is not compatible with ELM 1.3 and won't work with CAN". Tried it with the Engine ECU and that one did connect to the ECU without any problems. So i guess i need to use this cheap bluetooth adapter for the Engine ECU and for all the CAN stuff the pre-modified interface that i have too will work. Managed to get the info i required which is that the car indeed has an oil pressure switch circuit fault. Fuel pump error code is because the pump is out of the car at the moment.

Factory unfortunately, at least for the moment

Hopefully this thread serves someone else struggling to connect with their pre-modified ELM327 cable sets as i understand these are pretty common.
Cool

Well done on sorting it 👍

Back