Ebay having a laugh

Currently reading:
Ebay having a laugh

Did anyone see "Made in Britain" on Monday? Its a 3 part series by the guy with the duff eye off Dragons Den
http://www.radiotimes.com/ListingsServlet?event=10&channelId=105&programmeId=196158795&jspLocation=/jsp/prog_details_fullpage.jsp

Basically he said it was good that a lot of the manufacturing had gone to china as its unskilled labour which requires no skills or knowledge, whilst Britain has always been at the forefront of technology and manufacture. Evidently we are still the 7th highest manufacturer by turn over i think, whilst China just creates a large volume of low cost products, only which 25% of the cost of the product stays in China, whilst the rest goes to companies based here and the surround infrastructure such as haulage, rent etc. He was saying about how we manufacuture things on a smaller scale but to a much higher quality using, such as aircraft and folding bikes, but he did admit that we dont do enough of this to bridge the gap between the amount with import and export.

In response to Garlicbread22, I am a process engineer in electronics manufacturing in mid cheshire, we are doing quite well at the moment, and export a significant amount to european, especially scandinavian countries. We are a small to medium manufacturer of medium to high technology PCBs. The volume stuff has gone forever from the UK, but the smaller, higher technology work is here to stay in the UK

In response to ebay, I agree that the fees are extortionate, I sell far less than I did 5 or 6 years ago.I first started on ebay in 2000, and I am sure the comission back then was around 3.5%, with no listing fees. Mind you, back then, there were Yahoo auctions, with no fees whatsoever................. Must admit, I havent had a look on ebid for yonks

Back