Technical DPF won't regenerate, rough idle and oil consumption

Currently reading:
Technical DPF won't regenerate, rough idle and oil consumption

SunEVO

Hi

I recently acquired a Fiat Punto Evo 1.3 MJT, with the highest trim level, which i have been looking for for a long time.
One of the hoses going to the differential pressure sensor was faulty when i bought it, casuing it to run in limp mode. I replaced the hose and thought it would all be good. After approximately 200 km it entered limp mode once again due to the dpf exceeding blockage level. Around this time i noticed it used a considerable amount of oil aswell.
I put an OBD 2 scanner on, deleted the fault code and it started regenerating the DPF. I can't seem to understand why it would only start regenerating when it is clogged beyond 100% and i delete the codes.
I am planning to open the engine to see if it salvageable and change the piston rings - would the oil consumption cause the DPF to clog without the ability to regenerate on its own?

Other than this i am experiencing rough idle on startup. I tried changing an injector, which had fault code tied to it, but it changed noting about the idle. The EGR-valve seems to be in good shape and pretty new. I am thinking the rough idle might be connected to poor compression.

What are your thoughts?

Kind regards Sune

Just buy a new dpf. I found main dealer supplied and fitted one for less than eBay part cost. If the old one cleans up keep as a spare. Its not worth messing about with these things in my experience.
I never found dpf made running rough, just SLOW.
Maybe try a fuel additive / cleaner next. It will take time to work though.
Then check injectors.

Yes engine consuming engine oil will cause the dpf to clog more quickly than usual.
Investigating why engine consuming engine oil required.
Engine compression check a good idea.

If you can find a good used engine that could be cheaper and quicker than trying to repair your engine.

Back