Technical Does this car have a dpf

Currently reading:
Technical Does this car have a dpf

It's worth about £500 at best. But if its done more than 100,000 miles its worth closer to £100 as you'll be spending at least £300 on parts plus whatever problems the wanton neglect has caused. Plus A LOT of labour costs.

Now it's done I love my Multijet - surprisingly quick and rides very smoothly, but it's fought me all the way. So far 55 mpg around town driving.

It's worth about £500 at best. But if its done more than 100,000 miles its worth closer to £100 as you'll be spending at least £300 on parts plus whatever problems the wanton neglect has caused. Plus A LOT of labour costs.

Now it's done I love my Multijet, but it's fought me all the way.

Attachments

• 20230621_160253.jpg
    20230621_160253.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
Moorings are you on a boat
We have a small, rare breeds farm, with moorings, holiday cabins and, of course, sheeps, pigs, geese n chucks…we have a house, but it’s not near the farm, so we bought a Leeds Liverpool Short Boat…
14’4” wide and 57’ long

I have a feeling that they are going to try and not fix it and fob me off with excuses as to why they can't fix it but I'm hoping it will be fixed.
I have seen a few comments on the egr valve replacement and it seems to be a real pita to do, am I also right that this is the same engine that is used in the vauxhall corsa 1.3 cdti.
Yes and yes

We have a small, rare breeds farm, with moorings, holiday cabins and, of course, sheeps, pigs, geese n chucks…we have a house, but it’s not near the farm, so we bought a Leeds Liverpool Short Boat…
14’4” wide and 57’ long
That's great we live on a marina on a 36ft narrowboat for the lady 9 years and it's great

Now it's done I love my Multijet - surprisingly quick and rides very smoothly, but it's fought me all the way. So far 55 mpg around town driving.
It has a lot of service history in the book by main dealers for most of its life so should not be too bad.

Cam chain kit £120 (or less) make sure it contains a new damper pulley hub and oil seal
Cam followers and lifters (aka tappets) £150.
Injector seat washers £10 approx for the set. You might need a puller to extract stuck injectors (I have one).
If the inlet manifold is sooted up, the engine has to be supported on jacks and leaned forwards to access the bolts. Soak the manifold in caustic soda and have the inlet ports blast cleaned with walnut shells.

Is the car worth it? Personally, I prefer it to the 100HP but we all have our opinions.

you’ve only had it since Sunday and he’s a trader, so even if it was ‘sold as seen’, it was sold as a working car, therefore It’s not ‘fit for purpose’ and you have your statutory rights
If they can't, or won't, repair it, then you have a statutory right to reject the car and have your money refunded.

From what I've seen of this thread so far, this would be by far the best outcome. This is not a car that makes any sense unless you have the skills, enthusiasm and facilities to carry out major engine work yourself. Getting it properly repaired professionally would likely cost more than it's worth. If you can get your money back and walk away, do so.

That said, having rights, and enforcing those rights, are not necessarily the same thing. If the dealer won't take the car back and refund your money, then you may have to resort to legal action. Whilst I think you'd win your case in the end, you'll have to stop using the car, put some more money upfront now, and you'll be unlikely to get anything back for at least a year. If the dealer stops trading before the case makes it to Court, you'll likely get nothing.

My thoughts about this car, is no matter how much you may like it, you may be better off getting a full refund and searching for a more genuine car at your leisure whilst your boss has kindly loaned you a vehicle, possibly paying an independent engineer to give it the once over prior to purchase for peace of mind.
It was something my regular customers often asked me to do when changing vehicles, one lady many years ago paid my hourly rate for an entire day whilst we checked dealer forecourts in a 30 mile radius, she didn't buy a single one, but she was happy and said she had learnt a lot, including avoiding a car that had been in a serious accident that was for sale on a Main Dealers Forecourt!

My thoughts about this car, is no matter how much you may like it, you may be better off getting a full refund and searching for a more genuine car at your leisure
Exactly.

This is a 15yr old car. It matters not a jot how much is right with it; its value is determined by what you'd have to spend to fix what's wrong with it.

My gut without seeing the car is the car sat for a bit before being sold

It's the sort of car I would buy as most of the problem will just require time and effort for me time is free

Problem is if you have to pay a garage their time isn't free.

My thoughts about this car, is no matter how much you may like it, you may be better off getting a full refund and searching for a more genuine car at your leisure whilst your boss has kindly loaned you a vehicle, possibly paying an independent engineer to give it the once over prior to purchase for peace of mind.
It was something my regular customers often asked me to do when changing vehicles, one lady many years ago paid my hourly rate for an entire day whilst we checked dealer forecourts in a 30 mile radius, she didn't buy a single one, but she was happy and said she had learnt a lot, including avoiding a car that had been in a serious accident that was for sale on a Main Dealers Forecourt!
I think I'm going to get a refund. Thank you

If they can't, or won't, repair it, then you have a statutory right to reject the car and have your money refunded.

From what I've seen of this thread so far, this would be by far the best outcome. This is not a car that makes any sense unless you have the skills, enthusiasm and facilities to carry out major engine work yourself. Getting it properly repaired professionally would likely cost more than it's worth. If you can get your money back and walk away, do so.

That said, having rights, and enforcing those rights, are not necessarily the same thing. If the dealer won't take the car back and refund your money, then you may have to resort to legal action. Whilst I think you'd win your case in the end, you'll have to stop using the car, put some more money upfront now, and you'll be unlikely to get anything back for at least a year. If the dealer stops trading before the case makes it to Court, you'll likely get nothing.
Yes the refund route may be the best this time.
Luckily my wife's cousin is a solicitor if we need any help I'm sure he would be very helpful but I would just prefer a peaceful resolution to this.
I have only ever had 2 cars in the past from dealers and both times they were rubbish out broke down a few months after buying them.
Thanks for your advice.

Back