Technical Diesel noise after timing/variator cam change 1.4 8V

Currently reading:
Technical Diesel noise after timing/variator cam change 1.4 8V

Arceye

Hi All,
engine idle
I have just done a timing belt change on my 09 1.4 8v.
after starting the engine i got the diesel noise, following research on this site assumed I had damaged the variator cam when removing it to change the cam seal.
i replaced the variator, reset the timing using the tools, but still get the diesel noise.
I have checked the solenoid and it appears to be working correctly. activated it using 12v and checked its resistance. 8.5 Ohms i think.
the oil is not low.
there are no codes.

when replacing the variator, is there anything specific i should have done to ensure it is in the correct position?
i have attached a screenshot of the readings i was getting.

thanks in advance
Jim

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-04-02 165400.png
    Screenshot 2022-04-02 165400.png
    48.5 KB · Views: 126
Simple answer is: you did something wrong.
Or engine needs further maintenance (most neglected thing ever is: valve clearances), breather hoses (therefore vacuum leak), EVAP solenoid, ignition, fuel, exhaust system and so on.
Procedure is pretty straight forward, a Guide: https://www.fiatforum.com/guides/1-2-8v-evo-2-engine-cam-belt-replacement.732/
Study the Discussion section (all 3 pages): https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/1-2-8v-evo-2-engine-cam-belt-replacement.237966/
That's all, really.
Simple (primitive) FIRE family engine, not much to screw up (but "timing belt + seals" is not recommended as a very first DIY job).

Last edited:
Hi Jim

I see your post was 10+ days ago..
Have you made more progress...?

If you know the car..and its behaved for months : thousands of miles

No need to look deeper than what you have disturbed

The screenshot does seem to suggest that something is out of range..

The info linked to should answer most questions.

Let us know what you find :)

@puntodeltathema may have come across this...

Charlie

Hi,
been a while, car has been on the backburner.

thanks for the info.
I looked through the attached examples and nothing stood out as different to what I had done.

I decided to take the variator off and replace it, I assumed the aftermarket one I bought originally may have been bad.
when I took it of I expected to see oil seeping out, as I had seen on the original. there was none.

this leads me to the earlier statement that I did something wrong.

as part of my servicing of this car I had to fix the exhaust, in the process of removing the exhaust manifold I manage to break of 2 of the studs.
1 came out on the car, but the second would not come out with the typical methods.
long story short i took the head off to get better access and fit helicoils.

I ordered a new head gasket and bolts, and put it all back together.
I did not compare the head gaskets before and after. At the time it was cold, dark and i was hungry.
in hindsight not the best time to be doing this kind of of thing.
with this being a VVT head is there a different head gasket to the non VVT head.
if I had put a non VVT head gasket on, I presume this would block oil galleries that feed the VVT solenoid and variator, hence leading to no oil in variator?

the 350A1000 engine does seem to have a few applications.

do you have an example of what readings I should be seeing in the MES readout?

engine has 42000 on clock.
checked valve gaps to make sure I had not mixed up the valve caps.
this is not my first timing belt or head gasket Job.

thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi,
Maybe contact GSF and ask them to double check they sold you the correct head gasket set. If you have the packaging with part number check the manufacturers website to make sure it is correct for your application.
The special timing tools you have are they a decent brand?

Good luck.

Jack

Back