General Dell'orto FZD

Currently reading:
General Dell'orto FZD

I currently have my FZD stripped for cleaning. I didn't do this when I got it - just checked the jets etc., bolted it on and took off down the street. If there is any interest, I could take a heap of photos of the 'rebuild' and post them in a new thread much like the IMB one I did a while ago.

Chris

Hi Chris

If you are prepared to go to the effort of doing this, it won't be in vain as it would be greatly appreciated by me at least.

cheers, Steve

Marcos;
With regard to your query as to where to put the rocker-cover breather. I also no longer use the air-filter housing and have found a piece of hose the correct diameter (luckily found one with a bend in it) and led it down the back of the engine/side of the gearbox. I hold it in place with a large ( and well 'tweaked') 'P' bracket, utilising one of the rear cowling bolts to locate the 'P' bracket. Does the job and looks neat and tidy.
thumb.gif

All,

lot of talk about carbies has got me thinking.

I may be able to locally source a 32/28 (apparently never used 'brand new') but it comes without an inlet, manifold, mounting studs or any form of insulating spacers.

Inlet may not be an issue as the solution that Chris uses would work for me. Question is, does anyone have a manifold, studs and spacers kicking around that they can part with?

I have to work out if the sum of parts is better that getting a complete unit from somewhere or if I can afford it in the first place. Please PM me and let me know what you have.

Also, are there old original Dellorto units and new copies, and if there are, how do you tell the difference? The unit I am looking at does not look shiny new so I am trying to work out if it could be original/new rather than copy/new.

This is all part of a larger consideration of using a 650 motor, heresy after nearly 30 years of running a stock 500 but I think I have served my apprenticeship.

Regards

Joe R

The manifold and spacers are easily available and come with the extended studs - join the gang!!!!

I have managed to obtain (at a fairly sensible price!) a Dellorto FZD 32/28 carb. Sadly, the accelerator pump rod (the one with the spring)was bent in transit, so I have had to remove it in order to straighten it---does anybody know what the correct measurement is for the spring adjusting nuts are, so that I can re-set it properly? Any help would be appreciated , as any jet settings that people have found work. It is going onto a tuned 652cc 126 engine.
worship.gif
smile.gif

A couple of photos - best I can do as the pump rod is on the front side of the carby. Looks like I might have to do a bit of cleaning around there soon :eek:

There are 8 and a bit threads poking out below the locknut.

Chris

Attachments

• Accelerator Pump Rod 2.jpg
    Accelerator Pump Rod 2.jpg
    649.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Accelerator pump rod.jpg
    Accelerator pump rod.jpg
    443.9 KB · Views: 40
Thank you for your efforts Chris, very much appreciated. I have measured my rod, and I had set it (purely by chance!) to 10 threads showing--5mm. This gives an adjustment of 1/2mm per thread. I am going to leave it at that and see how it pans out. Your answer, and its rapidity, just goes to show how good the site is and what a great bunch of people are on it
worship.gif
smile.gif

For those members of the forum using the Dellorto FZD 32/28 carb, hopefully this will help. I was recently able to lay my hands (at a VERY reasonable cost) on a Dellorto FZD 32/28. I took it down to our local rolling road today, ostensibly to set up the carb. The engine specs are as follows:---Raised compression (copper head gasket), 36mm inlet valves, 500 flywheel, fully ported head and exhaust elbows, single outlet sports exhaust, 35/75/75/35 camshaft and of course, the Dellorto. We ended up with the following jets:- main--132, idle (aka starter jet)---45, pump---45, air correction---190 and emulsion tube---6747/8. The accelerator pump rod has been set with just about 3/8in showing below the nuts. (I am told that the accelerator pump should produce 6cc per 20 strokes, but I haven't worked out how the measure that yet!). The engine produced 28bhp at 5,200rpm (at the wheels, and still going up), which equates to 34 bhp at the flywheel. I was pleasantly surprised!! The rolling-road operator commented very favourably on how smooth the engine was when being revved. This engine makes for a very pleasant little car to drive around in. I am sure that a lot of people have more grunt from their engines, but my target was a grunty (relatively speaking!) little car that would put a smile on my face and surprise a few people---object achieved
thumb.gif
smile.gif

Capacity is 652cc Andrew. As the purpose of the exercise was to set the carb up, we didn't go beyond 5,200, but as the power was still going up, we reckoned that we would have got approx. 30bhp at 5,500, which equates to 35bhp at the flywheel (18% transmission power loss). It just goes to show how different engines, although ostensibly of the same specification, end up being jetted differently; something that can only be done on a rolling road. I did a quick run up the road after the r/road session---0--60 was 23 secs. No ball of fire, but when you remember that the 500 didn't have a 0--60 time, and the 126 was 46.6secs. 0--62 (100kph), quite a satisfactory improvement! My next engine will be the '695', complete with 4 port head and 5 speed 'box.
thumb.gif
smile.gif

Guys,

I asked earlier but everyone was asleep....

Are there old original Dellorto units and new copies, and if there are, how do you tell the difference?

I am looking at one that is 'brand new never been used' so I am trying to work out if it could be original/new rather than copy/new.

Regards

Joe R

Morning Joe;
I am led to believe that LAVAZZA RACING in Italy had a batch of 32/28 DFZs made. As far as I know, they look original; so how to tell the difference between them and the "by Dellorto" original? I honestly don't know. I am told that my DFZ came from that batch, and it seems to work fine---and it does have 'Made in Italy' cast in the body of the carb.
confused.gif
banghead.gif
smile.gif

Tom
Are you intending to build the five speeder yourself?
I have been considering a steel cranked engine to build getting me to 70 hp
I had all my internals balanced so should be straight forward and then look into panda 30 and big Webber

Andrew:- I was able to obtain the 5-speed gear-box when I was in Italy last year (for the Mille Miglia) at an 'in Italy' price. I won't tell you what I got it for, because it would make you cry! With regard to a 70bhp engine--you have to do an AWFUL lot to a 500/126 based engine to get to that figure--check out the 'Lavazza', 'Gozzoli' and 'Gattegna racing team' sites; they are only JUST getting that figure from their racing engines. You would also need a fairly major up-grade on the transmission---fully c/v jointed (i.e. both ends--they are available) drive-shafts being just one that springs to mind.
Joe:- your carb could be original---the fuel inlet pipe on your carb has a flared end---my carb (the new batch carb) has a straight fuel inlet pipe--no flare.
thumb.gif
smile.gif

So your box is pre-built?

I'm aware of the fun involved of 100hp per litre engine..... And already plan CV joints in transmission

Having not got car on the road - I cannot tell if it's fast enough for my plans - but if it isn't I've already got the tx, front and rear discs , updated master cylinder, independent adjustable front suspension and adjustable rear - so it would only be a question of finance for the engine unit!!!!
Gotta dream......works a bit dull at the moment.....

Back