General Damn knocking noise again!

Currently reading:
General Damn knocking noise again!

I swear this Seicento will be the last old Fiat I ever buy! :bang:

After just two weeks of ownership my 899cc Sei SX has developed a knocking noise from the offside rear. I'm guessing it's the bloody bushes meaning the whole suspension arm will have to be removed and a new one fitted? :rolleyes:

The reason for this topic is the noise seems to have started at around the same time I jacked the rear up to get the wheel trims off. It's a long shot but is there a chance I've disturbed something? :confused: The noise is definitely not the back wheels coming loose before anyone suggests it. ;)

I swear this Seicento will be the last old Fiat I ever buy! :bang:

After just two weeks of ownership my 899cc Sei SX has developed a knocking noise from the offside rear. I'm guessing it's the bloody bushes meaning the whole suspension arm will have to be removed and a new one fitted? :rolleyes:

The reason for this topic is the noise seems to have started at around the same time I jacked the rear up to get the wheel trims off. It's a long shot but is there a chance I've disturbed something? :confused: The noise is definitely not the back wheels coming loose before anyone suggests it. ;)

Is it just me or do any others fail to see the logic in these type of rants?

Does anyone expect things NOT to wear out or break... on ANY car?

The car has been owned for 2 weeks, when you buy a used car you buy all its known and developing problems too, you should budget for that when buying, its a fault, just fix it!

:shrug:

Where else is a man to moan ? if you do it at home the wife :worship: will only tell you to shut up and stop moaning

but your right in one way S**T happens fix it and move on

did you jack the car under the bottom of the shock or on the sill? does the knocking happen on all bumps or just the bigger ones?

I jacked the car up on the sill and the noise only happens over big bumps.

Is it just me or do any others fail to see the logic in these type of rants?

Does anyone expect things NOT to wear out or break... on ANY car?

This Seicento replaced an N reg Cinquecento which was a pile of crap, it had the knocking noise too as well as a host of other problems like rot. I stupidly thought that if I bought a newer Seicento it wouldn't need any work for a long time.

I jacked the car up on the sill and the noise only happens over big bumps.

This Seicento replaced an N reg Cinquecento which was a pile of crap, it had the knocking noise too as well as a host of other problems like rot. I stupidly thought that if I bought a newer Seicento it wouldn't need any work for a long time.

Unlucky Phil, hope its an easy fix, cant be that bad. We do unfortunately inherit all the bad things the previous owners did when we buy an older car, had similar with both my daughters Micras, but I budgeted for the known problems I know they have and especially those I knew they had. Good Luck and let us know what it is!

Things to eliminate first:

1.Is there anything in the boot loose?
2.Are the brake shoes rattling about (tired fixing pins, completely shot brake springs)
3.Is the hub nut loose?
4.Are the shock rubbers knackered? Can you push the shocks from side to side?

But chances are it's the bushes. Fluffy does them for about 6 quid a hit, so it's not that expensive. Plus gas on all the relevant bits, take em down to somewhere with a press or FIAT to pop the old ones out and new ones in.

No need to buy new trailing arms, but you will need new hub nuts.

It's definitely not coming from the boot as all that's in there is the spare wheel which is bolted down and the jack/wheel brace. I know what the noise sounds like as it's the same as the Cinq and a garage diagnosed that as the bushes.

So are Sei's different as I was told with the Cinq it's easier to replace the whole suspension arm as the bushes are a bugger to remove? If it's a simple case of buying new bushes (4 @ £6 each) then perhaps I can relax? ;) I just didn't like the sound of paying £150 after only owning the car for 2 weeks.

Same as Cinq. If you use the FIAT ones they really need to be popped in and out with a press. Your local engineering shop will be able to do this. Kripit has used some wierd device to pull them out (photo somewhere), but I tend to burn them out with a blowtorch and replace with (much more expensive, but much longer lasting) polybush ones which will push/bop in with a rubber hammer.

So the easiest & cheapest way is to buy some bushes, (I think Shop4Parts charge £7 each or something like that), blow torch the originals until lightly toasted ;) then wollop the new ones into place?

no, you won't get those back in as the have the metal sleeve.

You would need to take them to a garage to be pressed in.

Factor that into the overall cost and £48 for the powerflex bushes, that just press in by hand, and it doesn't look so expensive.

they last longer, feel better, and are easy to fit (y)

Kristian

///EDIT ---

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/POWERFLEX-COM...eZWD1VQQtrksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

£52.95 delivered. I have used that seller a++ :p

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
So it is my fault? :cry:

I didn't really jack the car up so that the wheel was off the ground, in reality I just wanted to take some of the weight off while I changed the trims - the tyre was still on the ground the whole time.

not funny. !!.. u cant get the trims off unless u take a bolt out. dem r holded on by a wheel nut bolt. mayb he thought he was not sposed to take the bolt out without takin sum wegiht off hte wheel

Back