General Back again..Dumb Question(s)

Currently reading:
General Back again..Dumb Question(s)

Hello Fiat Fans

Been more than a couple of years since I posted on here last...Been a bit busy work wise and doing other 'shizzle'.

It's now the time to register my Spanish Seicento in the UK, it being in storage since driving over here quite some time ago.

I need to buy headlamps so they are 'R/H drive/UK compliant' I assume? I know some cars have 'universal lenses' but think Seciento's have 'handed' lens'?
If so would anyone have a good set for sale?

Also under current MOT regs I would need to 'swap out' the speedo OR fit a transfer over the current dial(?) to make it 'legal' for UK road use..I seem to remember watching a video that the speedo activation was modified during production to a stepper motor type...although they look the same they are not. So looking for an easier fix as electronics are not a strong point for me. Plug and play is 'doable' if a similar speedo from a UK car would fit..otherwaise would anyone know where to get the 'transfer' type (or be able to make one)

Other than a certifcate of Conformity I think thats about it. My Seicento is a 600 Van, manufactured in 2007 (in Poland I think) and registered in 2007 in Spain

Off out to wash 'Noddy' down as 'storage' has left him a in a dirty state...

Thanks in advance

Malcolm

You will need to source UK headlamps, probably used ones now, so shop carefully for good ones.
You will also need to swap the rear lamps for UK ones, and change the wiring to put the rear fog lamp on the right. Might get away with just a right lamp, and have two fogs, losing the reverse lamp. Not sure if a reverse lamp is mandatory.
If an aftermarket foglamp is available, you could mount it low on the bumper, anywhere between central or the right side, and disable the one in the lamp unit.

Speedo may be a used option. Mileage will become a challenge, as the display will not match the body computer. It should be possible to 'match' these, but only upwards, so it takes on the higher of the speedo or computer.
Alternatively, taking the display apart is fiddly, but possible, and a simple paint pen for the significant mile marks would be OK. This gives you an opportunity to make it more accurate than standard. Use a satnav to drive at 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 & 70, and note the actual needle positions, ready for permanent marking.

You will need to source UK headlamps, probably used ones now, so shop carefully for good ones.
You will also need to swap the rear lamps for UK ones, and change the wiring to put the rear fog lamp on the right. Might get away with just a right lamp, and have two fogs, losing the reverse lamp. Not sure if a reverse lamp is mandatory.
If an aftermarket foglamp is available, you could mount it low on the bumper, anywhere between central or the right side, and disable the one in the lamp unit.

Speedo may be a used option. Mileage will become a challenge, as the display will not match the body computer. It should be possible to 'match' these, but only upwards, so it takes on the higher of the speedo or computer.
Alternatively, taking the display apart is fiddly, but possible, and a simple paint pen for the significant mile marks would be OK. This gives you an opportunity to make it more accurate than standard. Use a satnav to drive at 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 & 70, and note the actual needle positions, ready for permanent marking.
Many thanks took the display in mine apart today to check the part number against a used U.K. one but it’s not the same unfortunately. Good experience none the less. Spent the day going through a bit of a deep clean as ‘Noddy’ has been sat outside for 3 years after the mice ‘had him’ in the garage.. they still visit him outside but less so and now don’t live in him at least. Was thinking that the ‘white lines’ drawn on the ‘speedo dial’ was a thing of the past but if it’s allowed all good..

So add the fog lamp/rear lights missed that one will keep the reversing lamp as it’s mandatory on cars originally fitted with one.

Strangely when I removed the wheel centre to get at the airbag…it doesn’t actually have an airbag nor has one ever been fitted. Probably as it’s classed as a van? No airbag sign on the centre pad either nor a light on the dash. My mate owned this van beforehand(from new) and I had it for 5 years and ‘ITV’d’ it each year and no mention of airbag was ever made. Spanish MOT’s are strict in that respect and modifying ANY car is not allowed… although you do see boy racers etc fooling around in some dodgy looking set ups! Already on the hunt for headlamps will source some rear light clusters also.. maybe some indicators to as the ones I have are a little opaque..

Many thanks again..

👍🏻

Re the reversing light.
The GB MOT currently only checks reversing lights on cars first registered from September 2009, so a 2007 car wouldn't fail with no reversing light.

Re the headlights, LHD headlights will pass the MOT with the stickers on the front to blank out the kicked up part of the beam.

There is also no mention of the speedo needing to show MPH.

So you may only need the stickers on the headlights to get an MOT on the car.

Re the reversing light.
The GB MOT currently only checks reversing lights on cars first registered from September 2009, so a 2007 car wouldn't fail with no reversing light.

Re the headlights, LHD headlights will pass the MOT with the stickers on the front to blank out the kicked up part of the beam.

There is also no mention of the speedo needing to show MPH.

So you may only need the stickers on the headlights to get an MOT on the car.
Thanks David..Interesting information indeed...

Importing a car from say japan use to need the SVA (IVA now), and part of that is converting the speedo to mph, there are quite a few kits out there.

Always thought it was strange that they never test the speedo on the MOT, it is a key safety item.

Importing a car from say japan use to need the SVA (IVA now), and part of that is converting the speedo to mph, there are quite a few kits out there.

Always thought it was strange that they never test the speedo on the MOT, it is a key safety item.
That is what I have just been reading through today..Not just an MOT so to speak but to register your car thats the first thing thats mentioned...Yep an IVA now required. When I started reading it seemed to apply to car importers/businesses...reading on ...joe public as well..

Thanks for the info..

As it is over 10 years old, do you still need IVA?

1652914821001.png

I wonder why they would have a 10 year limit on that?
I could see 30 or 40 year old cars may have a problem with some parts of the rules, but anything made in the last 30 years should be compliant.

As it is over 10 years old, do you still need IVA?

View attachment 407005
I'm not sure it's one of the questions I have to address as ever the rules are only interpreted by the station or person you ask...much the same with any UK GOV blurb its contradicting and opaque and made so that they can 'feck you' if the need arises...nothing is black and white even if it's on their website...'written' in black and white... Will hopefully be able to say 'Not needed' sometime soon..(once I get the car 'ready' so to speak...B-)

This car will have been built with European Type Approval. Surely IVA is for vehicles outside of that. Shouldn't be a problem.

For reverse lights, here are a few options. Others may be available.

There seems to be the VCA, vehicle certification agency that decides what's allowed to be on the road. Speedo does look to be on the list of things required.

Because of brexit, I'd not be so sure it automatically means it's ok. Europe hsould be seen as no different to Japan or any other country now.

This car will have been built with European Type Approval. Surely IVA is for vehicles outside of that. Shouldn't be a problem.

For reverse lights, here are a few options. Others may be available.
Still trying to decipher whats what..I believe all cars imported these days reuire an IVA and not just an MOT..although reading here and elsewhere there are some exceptions which can cause confusion. Before all that was needed was a 'certifcate of conformity' I believe??

Did a ‘thing’.. still getting things sorted on Noddy. Headlights are swapped out for U.K. ones, now rear light clusters have been fitted. Reversing lights on Spanish car was blue and white wire and the fog grey and white. Both run next to each other and after slicing through the tape located and confirmed each with a test light. Which I didn’t really need to do but ‘dumb and dumber’ can creep up on anyone. Anyhoo, cut both wires next to each other, and after prepping them reconnected using those soldered heat connectors. Result is fog is now working where it should and so is the reversing light..no need for fitting an aftermarket fog lamp. Almost looks British..

Attachments

• 6348CE29-ADB8-4E33-ADD2-774ECCA22FA0.jpeg
    6348CE29-ADB8-4E33-ADD2-774ECCA22FA0.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 32
Did a ‘thing’.. still getting things sorted on Noddy. Headlights are swapped out for U.K. ones, now rear light clusters have been fitted. Reversing lights on Spanish car was blue and white wire and the fog grey and white. Both run next to each other and after slicing through the tape located and confirmed each with a test light. Which I didn’t really need to do but ‘dumb and dumber’ can creep up on anyone. Anyhoo, cut both wires next to each other, and after prepping them reconnected using those soldered heat connectors. Result is fog is now working where it should and so is the reversing light..no need for fitting an aftermarket fog lamp. Almost looks British..
Nice to see a tidy Seicento, they're pretty rare here now. I have fond memories of three and a half years with mine.
Is that the view from your home, or do you often travel to the countryside to do maintenance?

Nice to see a tidy Seicento, they're pretty rare here now. I have fond memories of three and a half years with mine.
Is that the view from your home, or do you often travel to the countryside to do maintenance?
It’s where I live with my sister (long story) we rent it together. Has a decent garage now full of my junk and daughters Freelander getting fixed!

Back