Technical Clunking noise from the steering rack and suspension

Currently reading:
Technical Clunking noise from the steering rack and suspension

randomitaliandude

Hi everyone, i was traveling far from home when I hit a hole in the road and then the suspension started making more noises than usual and when I turn close to full lock the right the steering box makes a clear "clunk". Now im far from home so i couldn't do a full service. I just lift it up with the jack and found a loose wheel bolt, the shock bolts were all loose and the left link of the steering rack moves a bit jerky. Now it tightened everything and did a bit of testing around here and everything seems to be holding in place. Is it safe to do the 200km in order to come back home?

Hi everyone, i was traveling far from home when I hit a hole in the road and then the suspension started making more noises than usual and when I turn close to full lock the right the steering box makes a clear "clunk". Now im far from home so i couldn't do a full service. I just lift it up with the jack and found a loose wheel bolt, the shock bolts were all loose and the left link of the steering rack moves a bit jerky. Now it tightened everything and did a bit of testing around here and everything seems to be holding in place. Is it safe to do the 200km in order to come back home?
Unlikely that running through one large pothole would slacken off anything, 'specially just one wheel bolt of the four? I'd be more concerned regarding the "left link" of the steering - are we talking the rod that runs from the rack to the track rod end at the wheel steering arm? With a description like "moves a bit jerky" I'm concerned there may be damage to the rack/pinion teeth?

Impossible to say with out "eyes on" whether it would be safe to drive 200km.

Unlikely that running through one large pothole would slacken off anything, 'specially just one wheel bolt of the four? I'd be more concerned regarding the "left link" of the steering - are we talking the rod that runs from the rack to the track rod end at the wheel steering arm? With a description like "moves a bit jerky" I'm concerned there may be damage to the rack/pinion teeth?

Impossible to say with out "eyes on" whether it would be safe to drive 200km.
It's that rod, at a point it makes a clear click

Back