Technical Crank & Cam Issue Scudo 2004 Van

Currently reading:
Technical Crank & Cam Issue Scudo 2004 Van

jackstorm

Hello everyone,
Have searched the forum to an answer to my problem but have not had any luck. I have a 2004 {GD04 RCY} Scudo Van. So I thought I can change the Timing belt Can’t I ??????
So got to work dismantling from end to fit new Radiator and Check engine over as I am off to work in the Alps in a few weeks time. [Sorry I live in France}
Ordered Timing Belt water Pump and auxiliary Belt.
There were old markings on Crankshaft and Cam so I thought it would be straight forward to swap out the Belt.
Researched online for best procedure and printed off Workshop Manual.
First problem. Could not locate Flywheel looking pin Hole. Was advised it was behind starter motor, but after much degreasing and searching could no find The hole. Removed starter motor for better access still no joy.
Eventually got crank bolt undone using a method proposed on line, without locking flywheel.
while waiting for parts to be delivered carry out other routine maintenance {rust removal and some other not so important things.
NOW for the BIG confession. I removed the auxiliary belt and the timing belt. While looking for the Flywheel locking hole I turned the crankshaft pulley with my ratchet. I know I am going to hell for this. In my defence I am 69 and probably should stop playing with BIG BOYS toys.
Now I can only turn the crankshaft through nearly 1 revolution and the crank will not go past this point. I have NO idea what I have done, and would be really grateful if someone can see my Bad silly boy mistake and help me. Thank you in advance for any assistance or advice you may be able to offer. Just to be clear I have only turned the crank over by hand.

The Van is a 2004 Scudo 2.0 JTX with 125.00 miles recorded. It appears to have had a timing belt change but not during my ownership. I normally do very little mileage probably less than 5000k per year.

Many Thanks

Allan.

Hi Allan

Is it a JTX.. or a JTD.??

lots of JTD info dotted around the car sections on here

Stilo and Brava being favourites

So Im a bit wiser...

You say youve turned the crank 'by hand'..
Is this with the Timing belt still turning the cams..??
Hi Varesecrazy

Thanks for getting involved. It’s a 2004 JTD Scudo Van 1 220 80KW /109PS.
Unfortunately I turned the Crank by hand with my 22mm Socket without the cam Sprocket in place. Now when I try to turn the crank shaft it will not make 1 full revolution. Please know I feel like a real lunkhead. I live in France but I am originally from Cardiff.
I should be grateful for any advice on how i may solve/rectify my problem.

Cheers,

Allanj

Hi Varesecrazy

Thanks for getting involved. It’s a 2004 JTD Scudo Van 1 220 80KW /109PS.
Unfortunately I turned the Crank by hand with my 22mm Socket without the cam Sprocket in place. Now when I try to turn the crank shaft it will not make 1 full revolution. Please know I feel like a real lunkhead. I live in France but I am originally from Cardiff.
I should be grateful for any advice on how i may solve/rectify my problem.

Cheers,

Allanj
Sorry Varescrazy just checked, Badge on rear door says SX JTD.

Hi VaresEcrazy,

Having taken a break from a full day attempting to solve this, and having just finished a beautiful meal cooked by my French wife, who has been incredibly supportive. I believe I could be in for the Most stupidest fiat forum member of all time achievement for lunkheadidness Award.
Of course the rockers wont turn if I don’t have a Belt ON. OMG how could I have been so stupid. The lock is probably being caused because the camshaft IS NOT ROTATING.
If you think this is the correct observation, I would love to hear your response. Please be kind I am getting on a bit.
But mainly I am great full to you for reaching out so soon. If ever your in France, We are in the Beaujolais and you would be most welcome to visit. Hope you Like Huskies👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Allan

Yes.. of course it all needs to be connected..and rotate as a set

Can you re.time it though..?

That will be the tricky bit..

You can sometimes use the shanks of twist drill as 'dowels' to peg the relative components

You will have to find the relvant info though

Charlie - Abertillery

This informative old thread may help.. it was updated yesterday :cool:

This informative old thread may help.. it was updated yesterday :cool:

Thank you Varesecrazy 👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Yes.. of course it all needs to be connected..and rotate as a set

Can you re.time it though..?

That will be the tricky bit..

You can sometimes use the shanks of twist drill as 'dowels' to peg the relative components

You will have to find the relvant info though

Charlie - Abertillery
Hi Charley, Wow my best Mate Mike Hill was form Abertillery, has lived in LLANTWIT MAJOR for many years now.
So an update for you. Put new Timing Belt /Water Pump/Auxiliary belt/New Radiator/New inter cooler on, Filled and bled radiator and Header tank. Wife stood back twenty paces and I fired her UP. Shazam running like a cheap Singaporean Rolex. Cant believe I have been able to do this. Thank you sincerely for your support and advice.
However I do have one question: there was NO {must be the model she’s getting on a bit} tensioning guidance and was wondering should I let her run for a while and then maybe look at adjusting the tension on the belts. She sounds different so don’t want to put her under any unnecessary loads as some of the other parts are older.{Power steering & fuel pump, alternator} my main concern.
In any case if you have time to respond fantastic, if not no worries. Thanks again for your support. Gonna have a shower and A nice cold Leffe to celebrate.

Allan.👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🍻

Back