Coronavirus - The Thread :(

Currently reading:
Coronavirus - The Thread :(

My workmate has an over-active immune system and she struggles to maintain an adequate blood titre of vitamin D. She's been tested positive for Coof antibodies and T cells so she's got the full weaponry. But she's also been told the vaccines could make her very ill indeed. No kidding! When my boss and I had our second jabs, she was coming down with symptoms just from the fragments we were shedding.

It's really not a simple "get jabbed get safe", though in most cases the vaccine does make sense.

Well you've given me a good laugh.

Where do we start, Vitamin D is not a titre. we all have T cells. Covid vaccines don’t cause shedding. If she has covid antibodies then the implication is she has had covid and therefore the vaccine should cause her no problems.

I’m sure I remember you once claiming you were as qualified as a doctor ?

Vaccine shedding, one of the classic anti-vax/disinformation myths.

Vaccine shedding only occurs in live attenuated virus vaccines.

None of the COVID-19 vaccines contain live SARS-CoV-2.

The nasal spray flu vaccine has been known to shed, as well as Chickenpox and Polio vaccines, as they carry weakened but live versions of the virus. COVID-19 vaccines cannot be shed.

Last edited:
I will be soon able to get my flu vaccine through work, and as a healthcare worker I will be able to get COVID booster as well; however, I do not fancy having both vaccines on the same day.

Had Flu (right arm) and Pneumonia (left arm) vaccines on same day a couple of weeks ago.
Right arm fine, left arm painful for about a week. Good job I've got a Dualogic Panda in the "collection" as it hurt much more reaching for the gear lever than the steering wheel.
Covid booster next...
Guess I'm getting a full set this year.

Getting them all done at once ticks the boxes but the immune system gets a kicking. Far better to spread them out despite the extra hassle.

Getting them all done at once ticks the boxes but the immune system gets a kicking. Far better to spread them out despite the extra hassle.

Something else to consider is that if you have two jabs at the same time and develop a systemic reaction, you won't know which one is responsible. Not very likely, but it can happen.

My GP has asked me to delay my pneumonia jab for a couple of weeks after having my flu jab, for this very reason.

Last edited:
Something else to consider is that if you have two jabs at the same time and develop a systemic reaction, you won't know which one is responsible. Not very likely, but it can happen.

My GP has asked me to delay my pneumonia jab for a couple of weeks after having my flu jab, for this very reason.

That sounds like a very sensible precaution to me.
I remember donkey's years ago I had to make a trip to India and the Far East so I went to see the GP (remember those days?) and he dug out a list of countries and appropriate jabs for where I was going and he gave me the lot all in one session, plus malaria tablets.
By the time I got home I didn't know where I was and for the next twenty fours hours I was freezing cold and bordering on delirious (according to Mrs Codger who came home from work and wondered what had happened).
So ever since then I have always stayed away where possible of having more than one jab at a time.
But as I say that was a long time ago so maybe irrelevant.

he dug out a list of countries and appropriate jabs for where I was going and he gave me the lot all in one session, plus malaria tablets.
By the time I got home I didn't know where I was and for the next twenty fours hours I was freezing cold and bordering on delirious

Strange, I've been to the far east working many times, and had all the jags in one go for the usuals a few times, and never had any side effects.

Got my Covid booster yesterday and feeling lousy today. This has quite surprised me because I had only quite a mild reaction to the first two.

Getting the jags has been a very mixed experience. The first two were very easy. Up here in Scotland you are sent an appointment by mail - the "famous" blue envelopes - and we were invited to attend our local treatment centre (a sort of mini hospital just 10 minutes drive away with plenty of parking - you could walk it easily in half an hour) where we were given the Pfizer product, first one in January and second in April. I had minor reactions, which is usual for me, much as I get with a flue jag and Mrs J got almost no reaction at all - again not unusual for her. It all went very smoothly with minimal queuing and no confusion.

Then the summer went by and a couple of weeks ago we got invitations to get our flue jags. Strangely this was not at the local treatment centre but involved a considerable journey to the Royal Highland Showground at Ingliston out to the west of the city. Before the due date we began to hear that other neighbours had also been assigned to this centre and had had considerable problems, one having to queue for around 3 hours and that doesn't take the journey time into account. We both have health problems and decided this would not work for us so rang the phone number to rearrange our appointments. A disaster! waited for ages and gave up a couple of times before the call was answered and got absolutely nowhere once we got through. Very annoying also when they keep telling you that the average wait is three and a half minutes and are still telling you that twenty minutes later but with no indication as to where you are in the queue. The biggest problem was that the person on the phone was obviously in a big answering centre somewhere and had absolutely no idea where the venues being offered to us were actually located. Most were actually further away then the Highland Show Ground! We gave up and decide to try again on another day!

Then, whilst collecting our medications at the local pharmacy, I was served by our neighbour's daughter (one of the assistants). We know this family well so I was chatting and mentioned our problem and she said "Oh, we are doing those, would you like me to book you in"? Within the week we had received our flue jags!

A couple of days later I was checking the blue flue invitation letters to see if I could bin them or if they had info I needed to keep, when I noticed Mrs J's seemed to be also inviting her to have the Covid jag at the same time (mine only mentioned the flue). Info was now circulating that some of the folk who had been out to the Show Ground had been given their Covid boosters at the same time as the flue jag. So, now worried we'd "short circuited" the official way of doing it by getting our flue jags at the pharmacy, I rang the phone number again. Another long wait but I persevered, and ran into the same problem. Yes we could make appointments to get our boosters followed by a whole load of totally unsuitable venues. I got so fed up with this I handed the phone over to Mrs J and went off to buy a wedding anniversary card and also found a nice Christmas card too. Returned home to find Mrs J had managed to get a booking at our local treatment centre in two weeks but they refused to reserve one for me as they needed to speak to me personally to verify my identity! What ???!!!***

Anyway, I made a nice cup of cappuccino and settled down to sort an appointment out for myself. Another long wait before getting through. Specifically requested an appointment at the local treatment centre only to be told there were none available in the foreseeable future - for two months minimum. Then it occurred to me that my older boy had got his initial covid injections at a centre out in a village south of the city, so I asked if there were any appointments there (thinking I could travel out to my boy's house prior to the appointment and then nip along "just in time") Oh yes sir, there's three tomorrow, when would you like to go. I ended up with one in the early afternoon.

So yesterday, I jumped in the car and left home at around midday - which was just as well because the traffic through town was horrendous, roughly doubling the usual journey time. Arrived at my boy's house in time to spend ten minutes with them and admire my grandson's latest Minecraft construction (including a train journey through the wee world he's creating - amazing!) Then it was off to the covid centre. Very well organized. Lots of signposting and quite a big centre with lots of staff directing you, a reception desk to initially channel you, then a medical chap in a booth - one of many - to do the computer questions and log you in, then passed on to the nurse in another booth - again one of many - who actually sticks the needle in your arm. All very efficient indeed and I was in, jagged and sitting in the waiting area, within about 15 minutes. Absolutely wonderful! Very friendly nurse/assistant to chat to while doing the compulsory 15 minute wait too! It really couldn't have been done any better!

The strange bit, considering how difficult it had been to get the appointment, was that I saw hardly a soul who was not a staff member. It was like the ghost of the Marie Celest. There was noone in the treatment booths near where I was and only three other people in the recovery seating area. One other person joined us before I was told I could go. How was it that the booking service thought there were only three appointments available when there were potentially a lot more, possibly even hundreds? Had I know this I would have taken Mrs J with me and I'm sure they would have given her's to her at the same time. Now she's got to wait for the end of the month and she's much more vulnerable than I am.

I find myself wondering what on earth is going on? The process of arranging to get the appointment was not easy at all, I suspect many would just give up and you couldn't afford to waste so much time if you were still working etc. But the reality at that treatment centre was that they could have done hoards of people even just in the time I was there. The biggest problem though is that if you can't avail yourself of the appointment sent to you in the "blue" letter and have to rearrange, None of the people I spoke to on the phone had any real idea where the treatment centres are geographically situated or where I geographically am so they couldn't identify suitable venues to match up for me!

This time I didn't get the Pfizer I got Moderna and my body isn't too happy with it. As the first two Pfizer jags didn't cause me more than a wee bit of discomfort, maybe I wasn't prepared for this Moderna. I have a pain from the left side of my skull, down my neck, shoulder and down to just below the elbow, when I move it's like bad arthritis - injection was given in my left arm. Also a bit of a headache and some mild shivers - like a mild fluey feeling. I don't like taking medication unless I have to but Mrs J says I'm so grumpy I have to take Ibuprofen and Paracetamol. She's shoveled some into me just before I started doing this post and I'm beginning to feel quite a lot better already. So, I'll just have to keep "taking the pills" I suppose?

Please don't think I'm ungrateful NHS people. You've done some wonderful and invasive things to my body over the years and it's all been a great success. The attention I received at the covid centre just couldn't have been better and all the medical and admin etc staff were so friendly and efficient. Something it seriously wrong with the telephone booking setup though!

There we are then, I'm done - both in terms of being completely inoculated and my moaning! - Until the next time anyway.

It's been on the news quite a bit, the system seems to have messed up the third jag appointments badly.

I'm another NHS Lothian, Scotland user. The appointments I received were unsuitable times for me so I rebooked them online. I'd recommend that instead of phoning.

Got my booster and flu jabs yesterday.
I got a text message, with a web link. Went on there, booked the appointment. Text on Monday, appointment on Friday. Could have had Wed or Thu, but was working. With Friday, have all weekend to recover any side effects.
Flu jab in right arm, a little sore until early this morning, now ok.
Covid booster, in the left arm. Pfizer this time, originals were Astra. An hour after, it felt like they'd injected lead, much like the originals. Very sore overnight, today soreness at last reducing at teatime. Woke with heavy head, also just disappearing now.

My partner had her initial jabs before me, but not been invited for the booster. No mobile phone, no emails, so perhaps that is now too difficult for them. Emailed surgery to enquire, told to speak to them on Monday for appointment. Hopefully will be done at the surgery, not the temporary centre, as getting the wheelchair up the stairs might be challenging.

I'm another NHS Lothian, Scotland user. The appointments I received were unsuitable times for me so I rebooked them online. I'd recommend that instead of phoning.
We tried to do that but couldn't log in with any of the info on the letter they sent us. It just kept on saying "invalid". Of course we are old and not very in tune with modern tech (don't even have smart phones) but we buy stuff on ebay and do emails and I lurk about on a couple of forums and I keep photos on my computer and a separate hard drive - sometimes though images "disappear" never to be found again!

Anyway, we got there in the end and that's the main thing - although it'll be the end of next week before Mrs J gets her one.

Just thought I'd give you all a wee update. By about 19.00hrs yesterday I wasn't feeling too good at all - on reflection I think it was the lemsip and ibuprofen Mrs J had forced me to take early afternoon wearing off - It felt just like the flue does early on. Headache, shivering and some general aches and pains but especially on my left side down my neck, shoulder, upper arm and down to below my elbow. That felt like arthritis and the shoulder in particular was quite sore to move. By then we'd had our evening meal so I took another lemsip and two more ibuprofen and went up to bed to read. Hardly read at all and fell asleep, didn't even hear the book hit the floor.

Woke at about 00.30 hrs for the loo and realized I was feeling rather better. Woke again at around 04.00 and 07.30 - you older guys will know the pattern? but the shoulder was a bit sorer, probably because the drugs had worn off.

Got up just before 0800, washed, dressed and went down to make Mrs J her morning cuppa and took more paracetamol and ibuprofen whilst the kettle was boiling. Pain went away almost immediately and hasn't really returned (just a bruised feeling about a couple of inches in diameter where the needle went in). It's now past 15.00hrs and there's no return of the arthritic type pains in neck, shoulder and elbow (no more than normal anyway) so I guess that's it just about done - still a wee bit dizzy though.

Strange how I got such a minimal reaction to the Pfizer - both times - and such an unpleasant reaction to the moderna - and I believe the moderna was only a half dose? - I'm telling myself that it means I can be reassured my body has really fought this one though so my blood must be full of lots of "good soldiers" this time?

In the early 1950's when I was dragged into the RAF (National Service) we lined up for the MO both arms outstretched and BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG four jabs one in each upper arm and one in each forearm. We had no idea what they were,( still don't) and you did not ask!! Some of the big "Toughies" were spark out on the floor after the guy in front of them, got his.
Later in the same week we were doubling round a small hut wearing gas masks while the place filled with Tear Gas. When we were breathing heavily from the trotting round we were ordered to remove , the gas masks and carry on as long as possible, which was not very long. Those who could still breathe dragged out those. who could not.
Three Covid and a flu jab, "Piece of Cake".
Mind you, I've often wondered why I'm only three feet two inches tall, can't breathe properly and have a morbid fear of Nissen Huts. Apart from that I'm perfectly...........Can't think of the word, but at least I've not got flu nor Covid 19 (sounds far less threatening than "Corrona Virus, does'nt it) And in the "First Book of Pessimists, Ch 1 Vrs 1" "Blessed is he who expecteth the worst, for him shall I not disappoint" says it all really. ( What on earth has this got to do with Fiat Pandas!)

Back