Coronavirus - The Thread :(

Currently reading:
Coronavirus - The Thread :(

For a break from serious virus discussion , this annoys me beyond all reason .

Some moron in my area has done this multiple times , they paint , highways people remove and a few weeks later repeat over and over .

also seen on street furniture , bus stop and another local road .

Also "Covid lies"

Hope they get caught

Last edited:
The death figures are given with a known set of parameters, this is done for ease of collation and comparative reasons.
Yes, some deaths may not actually be covid, but covid will have been a factor. The deaths where covid actually played no part are in the minority, less than 1 percent and so the figures do have some value.

I'm not sure it's wise to dismiss deaths on the basis of "they were dying anyway".

As for the anti covid graffiti, these people are going to paint something, this is just flavour of the month.

Well, we're all going to die of something, sometime. Who cares if some of us die before our time? Sheesh.

It amazes me how the appalling level of Covid-related deaths in the UK has apparently been normalised, such that many people seem not to turn a hair at another 140 deaths reported today - a level which, averaged out, would produce another 36,000 deaths over the next year, on top of the 132,000 (within 28 days) that we've already seen. The schools are about to go back with virtually no protective measures in place, and our government appears to have given up on exhorting the public to act safely. No other government - not even the freedom-loving U.S. - has washed its hands of responsibility for Covid like ours has. It's insane.

So, I can't understand why more people aren't hopping mad about the incompetence of our government in tackling the pandemic. People seem prepared just to shrug their shoulders and say, What's to be done? Life must go on.

But it doesn't have to be like this. This isn't normal, or inevitable, and we shouldn't meekly accept it as such.
I can't see any proposed solutions in the above text. Do you have any proposals, or are you just criticising the decisions that have been made?

A large proportion of the public will not behave as directed, so it would be impossible for any government to control the population. What would you have them do?

The death figures are given with a known set of parameters, this is done for ease of collation and comparative reasons.
Yes, some deaths may not actually be covid, but covid will have been a factor. The deaths where covid actually played no part are in the minority, less than 1 percent and so the figures do have some value.

I'm not sure it's wise to dismiss deaths on the basis of "they were dying anyway".

As for the anti covid graffiti, these people are going to paint something, this is just flavour of the month.

I heard this week that deaths due to Dementia are dramatically down on previous years. Can anybody explain that?

So, I can't understand why more people aren't hopping mad about the incompetence of our government in tackling the pandemic. People seem prepared just to shrug their shoulders and say, What's to be done? Life must go on.

The current politicians have take the blatant disregard for responsibility to a whole new level. The whole avoiding a question qould be funny were it all not so serious.And the majority of the public re-inforce that to them by re-electing the buffoon back into number 10!!!

The current politicians have take the blatant disregard for responsibility to a whole new level.

I'm not wishing to deliberately stoke the fire or unnecessarily wind people up, but perhaps the current politicians, who after all are just allegedly normal human beings like you and me, have cottoned on to the fact that undoubtedly a fairly large proportion of the population have quite simply had enough of the whole Covid thing?

I don't really know of many people who are talking about Covid as the armageddon that some espouse. People are just mentally tired of hearing about it day in, day out and they are adjusting their lives accordingly. I suspect most sensible people are actually taking precautions even if it's being done subconciously.

And the majority of the public re-inforce that to them by re-electing the buffoon back into number 10!!!

I'm at a bit of loss how to answer that one really. At the end of the day, everyone of voting age has the right to vote how they want. Agreed there's this whole thing about proportional representation versus first past the post etc, but are we saying here that the electorate who might re-elect a particular politician with scruffy hair, are also buffoons? That would clearly mean there are an awful lot of 'buffoons' out their who may not share your political views.

Like it or lump it, Covid is here to stay, just another thing the human race has to deal with. I would humbly suggest though that curbing every persons freedoms to the point of making peoples lives a total misery, would eventually cause more damage and possibly deaths than Covid ever will.

The reason why the media have "moved on" from Covid is because they are (with a few honourable exceptions) the mouthpiece of our present government, which appears to have washed its hands of the pandemic.

(See also the unwillingness of the same media to attribute food shortages, price increases in building materials, etc, to Br*x*t)

To try to be even-handed about this my experience is that the food shortages are partly due to a shortage of lorry drivers - yes partly due to brexit and an awful lot due to driver absence because they have been pinged by the ludicrous covid app.
Building materials have been hit for many reasons. For example because a cement producing plant was closed due to covid and doesn't seem to have recovered.
People sat at home furloughed and unable to go on holiday have embarked on home improvement projects in a big way.
Also building materials and many other commodities have been hit by astronomical shipping costs due to covid, and not just brexit.
The sudden closedowns have lead to a shortage of containers and containers in the wrong place. And containers stuffed full of useless PPE.
Brexit should never have happened, but I can understand why it did, and the terrible and late brexit deal illustrates the naivety of our politicians perfectly.
But to try to pin all the delays and shortages and price increases solely on brexit is wide of the mark.

Picking up on a point above, I think a major problem is that a large number of people are now genuinely scared of Covid.

Don't get me wrong, I'm more than aware of how dangerous it can be, even to a young and healthy person..... however, I think we are approaching the point where a balance needs to be struck. We need to be careful, but at the same time, we need to live our lives.

I'm currently on holiday in Spain, and 90% of the population appear to be wearing masks..... everywhere. And this is where my point about fear comes in.

I've seen dozens of people walking down an empty street in 40 degree heat wearing their masks. We went to a restaurant with an outdoor terrace with plenty of space between tables. People were literally lowering their mask to take a bite of food, then raising it back over their nose and mouth while chewing!!

A friend of mine does.....I asked her why.....and her response is that even in an empty street she's scared of catching it. I explained to her the chances of catching it while walking alone are virtually zero.... but even so, she won't take her mask off until she gets inside her house.

I went on a walk into the mountains in central Spain.... people hiking wearing masks.

Of course, it's everyone's personal decision....I'll continue wearing a mask in shops etc and in crowded places, not because I'm personally worried about catching Covid (I had it in January last year before it "officially" was in UK, and I've had 4 doses of Vaccine (clinical trials), I've done everything I can, so I'm living my life, but out of respect for others, I'll wear a mask......but I can't help but feel a "fear" has been created, that will be very difficult to remove as time goes on.

I am quite sure that by this time next year, we'll be in a much better place. A friend of mine works for a pharmaceutical company in the UK, and he said they've developed a pill that basically stops Covid in its tracks....if you test positive, take a pill, job done. It's currently going through clinical trials....but I think with all the other pharma companies around the world working on the same thing, like the vaccine, almost miracles can be achieved in a short time.

However, even so I think many will struggle to get back to some sort of "normal". For example those who physically haven't left their homes for 18 months because they're so scared of catching Covid....I really think they'll struggle.

And this is where I feel the media is to blame. Every time there's mention of a new variant for example, it gets blown out of all proportion, plastered across the front pages as "Deadly Mutant Variant" etc, which causes genuine fear.

They fail to mention for example that there have already been HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of variants already, and as the "real" scientists will tell you, even after hundreds of thousands of changes, the vaccines still work etc.

Of course, that doesn't sell newspapers or make good news headlines.

And it's not just the UK.

Here in Spain almost daily the news is specifically reporting about how many fully vaccinated have died, especially if they're younger people.... almost deliberately trying to scare people....and how the countries ICU's are "buckling under the strain" (whereas reality is just 18% of all ICU beds have Covid patients).

The media also have a massive responsibility of how the pandemic has been and will continue to be dealt with. Unfortunately, I doubt they'll ever be held to account.

Aye Cinq, it's all about balance I think but I don't mind admitting I'm scared of catching it! I'm in my mid 70's and the thought of catching this scourge does frighten me, especially the thought of Long Covid if I were fortunate enough to survive the main event. However I'm much more frightened that my wife gets it as, whilst not a "sickly" person, her health is not as good as mine and she only just survived pneumonia a couple of years ago following a bout of Flue "A".

Notwithstanding these issues we've decided that we just have to live our lives so we go walks together, Mrs J still has her coffee mornings with her pals and I drop in on my garage pals for a cup of tea and a chat from time to time. We meet regularly with family members and childmind a couple of days a week on average. We wear masks in shops and anywhere else we feel appropriate - as is still legally required here in Scotland - but not when just walking down the street or on our walks.

We are retired so can minimize risks as we perceive them but those still in the world of work don't have that "luxury" - my boy's doing their supermarket delivery runs being a very good illustration - and also the world of work has to go on for the good of all and the country. I don't have the answer to this but, for sure, we have to get back to productive working especially considering the labour shortages - haulage drivers, horticultural workers, etc (lets leave the health and care sector out of this particular particular argument, sympathetic as I am to their plight).

I'm considerably less than impressed by the way the authorities have handled things and by the obscene amounts of money spent, quite some proportion of which seems to have been very poorly allocated. However I'm much more upset just now by the appalling events playing out in Afghanistan. Of course it's easy for me to criticize from my position as an outsider but our seemingly calous abandonment of people who have helped trying to bring a humane and reasonable standard of living to their fellow citizens and in the process reduce the risk of terrorism to us in the west is requiring me to find words I don't posses and fills me with a deep sadness.

Just received word for my booster jag vaccine. No surprises there, but time has just flew past. I’ve also received my flu jag.

I’m hearing that if you were unlucky enough to catch both COVID and the flu, that would very bad indeed.

We both had flu jabs on 18th September.
Mrs C has her 3rd Covid jab next Saturday(23rd Oct), which will be just over 6-months since her 2nd jab. She got the text to book her 3rd last Sunday, but didn't book it until Wednesday, so if she actually clicked straight away it could have been done yesterday, which would have been exactly 6-months since the 2nd.

My jabs have been 5-weeks after hers, so I expect to get a text for mine around 14th November.

My first jab was as most folks say - down a bit for 24 hours. Nothing much.
My second jab had me feeling quite ill for a week with regular flare ups for another month. Frankly Im in no rush to repeat that. I had the lurgy in 2020 and the second jab felt like a repeat performance.

I'm 65, and all I had to deal with is a sore arm for a day, or two. Big deal,...I do not know what all the HYPE is about,...! Perhaps 'wimps'?

Same age as I. I never feel anything apart from the initial prick from the needle. But people are all different, it’s just their makeup, how their system handles/deals with vaccine when injected into their body. Some, all be it a very small percentage, have quite a bad reaction. It’s still better receiving the vaccine than not. But some people just don’t see the wood for the trees. That’s a whole different story. The power of social media is a multi tool with some using it for serious/bad use. Blethered on there a bit….:D

My first jab gave me a very stiff muscle, made worse by the second jab. Last jab was 21st April, muscle still sore, restricted movement, painful if taken too far. Am told, it will recover, might be some time.
Now booked for booster and flu jabs this Friday, there will be tears. Wimp.

I didn't even feel my first jab, jsut got "that's you" before I knew it. Second jab was pretty painful, think she must have been in a bad mood.

After the first, the next evening I had aches in my neck and shoulders, very tired and went to bed early. Second one had no side effects at all.

Seems to be random for everyone I've spoken to.

My workmate has an over-active immune system and she struggles to maintain an adequate blood titre of vitamin D. She's been tested positive for Coof antibodies and T cells so she's got the full weaponry. But she's also been told the vaccines could make her very ill indeed. No kidding! When my boss and I had our second jabs, she was coming down with symptoms just from the fragments we were shedding.

It's really not a simple "get jabbed get safe", though in most cases the vaccine does make sense.

Last edited:
I know about these things, I'm a registered nurse in the state of Colorado,...
Folks that have allergies and compromised health could very well have difficulties with any vaccine, especially one for a virus as deadly as COVID.
Everyone will have some inflammatory response effects, locally (injection site), or systemically (regional, like your arm, or 'all over' kind of stuff), THAT is how the vaccine gets the job done.
Yup, my arm was quite sore for a day after each injection, but ANY injection will make your arm sore. I did find that the Moderna injections that I received hurt a bit more than that, but it was not 'bad', and beat the hell outta getting deathly ill with COVID and possibly dying!
If at all possible, get vaccinated,...and if you are worried or undecided, please talk to your doctor, or a trusted health professional that can give you good advice!
I'm REALLY tired of living in a pandemic!

Back