Coronavirus - The Thread :(

Currently reading:
Coronavirus - The Thread :(

This is going to be hell, expect to know of someone who Is lost to this no matter where you are in the country.

I went out for food yesterday and there are still people in asda not social distancing at all including asda staff and I am sad to say also some with NHS lanyards :( we don't have a chance if the people who should be setting examples are forgetting.
I've already lost 2 family members this week as far as we know not covid 19 related, 1 was told he had about 6 months left 7 years ago his heart gave up, the other was in a hospice.

Whilst out to get shopping, I've seen several delivery drivers wearing thier masks while driving.

First thought, won't that make it warmer, wetter, and therefore more likely to allow bugs to pass through?

Opposite thought, removing and replacing it at each delivery means lots of face touching.

I guess someone has weighed up those, and more, and given guidance.

Whilst out to get shopping, I've seen several delivery drivers wearing thier masks while driving.

I guess someone has weighed up this and more, and given guidance.

Or not.. :eek:

I read about 3 weeks ago that a 'smartphone' assembly clean room had been remodelled to built these filtermasks

Output seemed pretty good (@10k per day IIRC)

that wouldnt keep stock in the 'Nightingale' : 16k staff

So some form of 'recycling' would
Appear to be an avenue worth investigating

Like everything else.. it will take a while

But the tech will be out there ;)

I do wonder how 2nd and 3rd world countries are going to fare.

Last edited:
With today's "scary" news (I'm getting a bit numbed to it now) that coughs and sneezes probably spread droplets far further than has been thought up 'till now and that wearing face masks might be more beneficial than thought (more to stop you spreading than prevent you catching?) I've just come across an old opened pack of dust masks very similar to these:
https://www.safetecdirect.co.uk/products/ndm1/economy-nuisance-dust-masks-pack-50-
The pack, which has been hanging on the hook beside my spray gun in the garage, was bought for when I installed insulation in the loft maybe 10 years ago, so a bit dusty on the outside and obviously no longer sterile. Visually they look quite clean though. Wonder if sticking them in the microwave and giving them a 30sec flash on max would kill off any "nasties"?

So some form of 'recycling' would
Appear to be an avenue worth investigating

Nope it’s all technically contaminated medical waste so would have to be incinerated.

I do wonder how 2nd and 3rd world countries are going to fare.

probably badly, but then they have faced epidemics like ebola, in recent years and gotten it under control so they might surprise us.

I honestly think places like the USA with their lack of funded health care, and virtually no benefits system, people will still go to work sick, people will not seek help and potentially die at home because they can't afford to call a doctor and then as is already being realised, they are the "land of the free" so imposing any travel restrictions is already resulting in law suits. I heard of one woman sueing the governor of the state she lives in because of lock down restrictions, as it was apparently her constitutional right to go to church...
With all these problems combining its going to explode, they are already seeing some pretty massive figures.

Last edited:
With today's "scary" news (I'm getting a bit numbed to it now) that coughs and sneezes probably spread droplets far further than has been thought up 'till now and that wearing face masks might be more beneficial than thought (more to stop you spreading than prevent you catching?) I've just come across an old opened pack of dust masks very similar to these:
https://www.safetecdirect.co.uk/products/ndm1/economy-nuisance-dust-masks-pack-50-
The pack, which has been hanging on the hook beside my spray gun in the garage, was bought for when I installed insulation in the loft maybe 10 years ago, so a bit dusty on the outside and obviously no longer sterile. Visually they look quite clean though. Wonder if sticking them in the microwave and giving them a 30sec flash on max would kill off any "nasties"?

To prevent you spreading germs, probably adequate, especially if you maintain your social distancing.

Somewhere, back a page or so, there was a link to an interview with a South Korean doctor. So much more informative than anything else I've seen. In normal talking/breathing, the droplets hit the ground within 2m, hence the recommendation. With shouting, singing, coughing, sneezing, the droplets are ejected further. This brings a risk of the droplets drying in the air, and the virus becoming airborne. Your masks should at least restrict any cough or sneeze.

Social distancing is causing people to shout at each other when 2m apart. Monday when queueing at Sainsbury's next two guys behind me knew each other and were gently getting louder. They were stopped abruptly when I quite rudely told them to "be quiet, you're increasing risk". Before either could speak, I explained as above. They were quiet from then.
If they were young, they'd be using phones to communicate that distance.

With the microwave idea, I think the elastic might object. Also, the microwave might smell of rubber for days.

Last edited:
Aye, got the letter owner wrong. Another day of NHS bashing here we go. Mind you I'm in agreement in the wastage of money & scams that are going on inside the NHS. I've seen a few documentaries on the television about mainly managers & people in charge syphoning off thousands if not millions in stealing major items that was supposed to be for the public use in hospitals.

The system must be blind. Of course the scynic in me brings me back to the adage, when you put a person in charge of something, it's not if, it's when, something will go wrong, just a matter of time. Greed does seem to be more of an issue these days, or is it just more covered due to modern day medium such as social devices, technology has came a long way & obviously very clever, but can be used for all the wrong reasons as well.

I do not believe in conspiracy theories but strongly believe that all governments operate by cock-up mitigation. China is no different. Two viewpoints below. Both have merit. However the second one (classic despotic cock-up mitigation) carries the most weight for me.

The Chinese Communist Party (CCP) ignores the risks of viruses from it's wet markets. Nothing has changed there.
CCP Hid the breakout probably some time in late summer but did have researchers on the case.

By November CCP realised it was serious so went into one party state control mode and locked everyone down. Big numbers were dying.

By December they could hide it no longer so told the world, but play down the severity.

Alarm bells must have rung in nearby countries because the information CCP released would have needed far longer than the CCP admitted start date would allow.

Here's the it's nothing to worry attitude from Trevor Kavannah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DypFvcJyHOQ&t=6s

Here's the evidence that China CCP is downplaying its actual death rate by at least 40 times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFftsn6izic&t=14s

Last edited:
anyone else get their letter from boris yet?

i had to red out the swear words due to forum rules

4.jpg

Back