Technical Copper particles in coolant

Currently reading:
Technical Copper particles in coolant

Just bought a cinq with a blown head gasket as a project. I drained the coolant today and apart from being murky with oil contamination it also had a lot of cooper particles, almost like there was a copper colored glitter in the coolant.

Any idea's as to what this could be ? I thought maybe a water pump bushing, the rad was replaced less than a year ago so not sure if that could have anything to do with it, as some rads are copper ?

Kev.

It's possible although the previous owner failed to mention it if they did use a radweld like product (n)

The system was going to get a proper flush anyway, although this hose ban won't make it a quick job.

Sounds like K-Seal. http://www.kalimex.co.uk/
It is a rad seal product but it is surprisingly good at what it does. I've had it in one of my cars for nearly 2 years without losing a drop of water since. However these types of thing are not everyone's cup of tea so you will get people on here slagging it off. You seem to already know about the head gasket failure so it's not like you have been tricked, maybe the seller just forgot to mention it.
Give the system a proper flush after you have changed the gasket. If the hose pipe ban is a problem put your water in a watering can and pour it in from there (y).

Ian.

Back