Technical Coolant leak on 100hp

Currently reading:
Technical Coolant leak on 100hp

MAKn

Hi. The coolant system on my Panda 100hp has sprung what appears to be a tiny leak. There is a small damp patch beneath the car where the drip drops off the engine. Some also runs through the foil/foam that surrounds the exhaust sensor cables and finally collect on the exhaust.

I can't spot the exact location of the leak but is it likely to be from where the coolant hose runs into the block near to where those sensor cables connect? There is some salt type stuff collected at the end of the hose.
20220428_122759.jpg
20220428_122918.jpg
20220428_123002.jpg
Hoping its not a gasket leak but the oil is clear so no water appears to be getting in.

It's a little tricky to get to so potentially a garage job and the expense involved. What are anybodies thoughts on using one of the poured in leak fixers? I've heard mostly good and some bad about it.

Many thanks

Almost certainly your thermostat housing. They all do that. If its an original then there is a plastic tube that usually splits.

You have to buy the whole housing with a new thermostat fitted inside. Some replacement thermostats come with this plastic part replaced with an aluminium/steel one instead.

Its an easy DIY fix, especially if you remove the battery an tray for access, and you'll lose about half your coolant when you disconnect it..

It'll probably weep like that for a while, but if you touch it, you'l probably break it altogether, so I'd recommend you get a replacement handy before you start twiddling with it!

One other word of warning, I got one from ebay, and two weeks after fitting, a part broke off inside that rendered the thermostat useless, and I had to replace it again with one from Euro Carparts. They looked identical, but it's lasted a year or two now. Perhaps it was just bad luck.

Almost certainly your thermostat housing. They all do that. If its an original then there is a plastic tube that usually splits.

You have to buy the whole housing with a new thermostat fitted inside. Some replacement thermostats come with this plastic part replaced with an aluminium/steel one instead.

Its an easy DIY fix, especially if you remove the battery an tray for access, and you'll lose about half your coolant when you disconnect it..

It'll probably weep like that for a while, but if you touch it, you'l probably break it altogether, so I'd recommend you get a replacement handy before you start twiddling with it!

One other word of warning, I got one from ebay, and two weeks after fitting, a part broke off inside that rendered the thermostat useless, and I had to replace it again with one from Euro Carparts. They looked identical, but it's lasted a year or two now. Perhaps it was just bad luck.
That's great 👍. Many thanks for the info.

without further investigation it will be hard to pin down. Just a matter of finding the highest damp location.

could be a simple as a loose pipe, weeping corroded front pipe or cracked plastic pipe on thermostat all simple and cheap to fix

But needs sorting ASAP as this simple fix will soon turn into a major repair if left.

Last edited:
If it is the thermostat, get a replacement from Shop 4 Parts. I've been happy with everything bought from them. Buy some coolant as well and you'll get free delivery.
Also check the water pump pipe that runs under the exhaust manifold as these are known for rusting.
S4P don't list a specific 1.4 coolant pipe, though it might be the same as used on 1.1 and 1.2. Call them to ask.

Many thanks again for the replies on this 👍. Got a better photo showing the location of the leak. It's wet where the yellow arrow points, both on that face and underneath. Suggests that the coolant is following the red arrow and running through the foam/foil cable wrap and dripping out of the bottom end. Does this suggest a thermostat housing issue as discussed above? Is there a gasket on the housing that could be the problem? Thanks
20220430_113937.jpg

Looks to me like you have least one fault at the hose clamp

You can see a wet patch on the rubber large hose and a streak of red coolant stain to the left of it (right hand side of photo)

The pipe that normally fails is further to the back and isn’t in the photo

This may or may not be the only problem. But needs addressing

Thanks for that. I hadn't spotted that possible wet spot. I'll check when I get a chance. Wonder if it's firing out of the end of that pipe onto the engine and running down the side? The staining would suggest so.

Thanks for that. I hadn't spotted that possible wet spot. I'll check when I get a chance. Wonder if it's firing out of the end of that pipe onto the engine and running down the side? The staining would suggest so.
its been leaking slightly from there for some time. (coolant deposits) the wind turbulence will move it around

on the later 1.2 engines with the same thermostat housing, when stationery it drips onto the top of the gearbox. Not sure if the 1.4 drips into the same place

it needs fixing anyhow.

I got away with syphoning some coolant out, remove the battery and trays, disconnect the hose cleaning the end with wire wool and tightening the clamp back up. Mine already had a standard screw type Hose clamp so simple, quick, and free fix for me.

If it was me I would inspect it properly. If it has a plastic spigot at the back and looked old I would replace with a new housing, If the housing looked new or had a metal spigot I would be happy to clean and refit the hoses.

I did one on my 1.2 Panda last year, which is basically the same as yours, and the large diameter pipe, that goes into the top hose, was very crusty and nobbly with corrosion. some of the bits of alloy had actually adhered to the inside of the top hose and was quite stubborn to scrape out.

I bought an "Original Birth" thermostat from Shop 4 Parts and it's been very good. They sell the genuine Fiat item too but it's more expensive and you have to buy the gasket as a separate item whereas the Original Birth jobbie has a gasket in the box with it. When I first started buying stuff from S4p, quite a few years ago now, I was very suspicious of some of their brand names as I'd never seen them at any of my local suppliers. However I've had no problems with any of them and I've rebuilt my entire front suspension using their products. I asked Mick on one of the occasions I rang them (they are very good people to speak to and carry stock not shown on their website so always worth a call even if you can't find what you're looking for on the site) about these "unknown" brand names and it turns out it's because they source direct from aftermarket suppliers in Italy - I believe Original Birth actually supply OE to the factory? So you can buy from them with full confidence. (there's a forum discount too if you're a donated member. Probably not worth ordering just one single item like this though because there will be shipping to pay. Last time I ordered, if you spent more than £25 shipping was free and when you add on the discount (10% last time I ordered) it was well worth it.

PS. Mine is the 60 hp engine so doesn't have the temperature sensor or heater hose spigot

Great info there..as always :cool:

The photo I took is of my 500

The furry white corrosion of the housing against the clean and shiny clip

Is VERY similar.. the 500 is a 2018 with 50,000 miles covered.. so its probably worthwhile changing your housing (and clip)

I plan to change mine..and coolant.. this summer.. To an 'all metal' thermostat assembly :)

If it is the thermostat, get a replacement from Shop 4 Parts. I've been happy with everything bought from them. Buy some coolant as well and you'll get free delivery.
Also check the water pump pipe that runs under the exhaust manifold as these are known for rusting.
S4P don't list a specific 1.4 coolant pipe, though it might be the same as used on 1.1 and 1.2. Call them to ask.
the original part has a plastic spigot, this is one of the few places where I would choose/prefer not to fit original.

Thanks again for all the great information 👍. Went out for a 5 min run in the car this morning to get the temperature up. Popped the bonnet when I got back to have a see what's going on with the engine running and coolant hot. Took a video on the phone and took a couple of screenshots of anything interesting. I've attached a shot of what seems to be damp around the bolt to the front lower section of the housing. Is there a gasket on the housing? A leak there would explain the drip onto the wrapped cables beneath. It could also explain the red staining in that location.
Screenshot_20220507-114307_Gallery.jpg

yes

if its gone there's a chance the coolant has gone acidic

its one of the few times I wouldn't just change the gasket, For the cost of the new parts including Hose clips its probable with just replacing the full housing. Its not difficult but it is fiddly to clean the matting face properly face and would be annoying to have to the job twice

temp.jpeg

You have to be VERY careful.
"Buy Car Parts" has Fiat 1.4 thermostats with metal hose spigot for around £15. Use your reg number and its much the same. Most look too cheap to trust.
Search eBay using "Fiat 1.4 thermostat" and they'll be much the same.
Search eBay using "Panda 100HP thermostat" and the price goes near £60 for what looks like the same part.
The 1.4 500 and Abarth seem to have the same component. Knowing Fiat, it's probably the same part.

Thanks all. Looking at ordering this Vernet thermostat off carparts4less.co.uk
Screenshot_20220514-122405_Chrome.jpg

It has the metal spigot so seems more a decent one. Anyone any experience of these? Thanks 👍

Back