Technical Coolant header expansion tank leak

Currently reading:
Technical Coolant header expansion tank leak

Rogereld

Just when I thought I had got everything running on the panda 100hp I spotted a slight wetness round the horizontal seam of the plastic radiator header expansion tank. Water was weeping from the top expansion hose where it connects near the top of the tank and running down to rest on the seam join. I released the clip to check if the hose was leaking and discovered a small crack in the plastic spout where the hose pushes on. Attempting to remove the hose has significantly increased the split where the plastic nozzle joins the tank. I assume driving with the top hose loose or disconnected will soon cause the coolant to disappear so I will need a new tank before driving any further.

Removing and fitting the tank was a 10 minute job. Removing and replacing the hose clips took more than 30 minutes. They must be designed for single use or require a special tool. Suggestion to anyone else who needs to replace the tank is make sure you have some new clips ready before starting.

Removing and fitting the tank was a 10 minute job. Removing and replacing the hose clips took more than 30 minutes. They must be designed for single use or require a special tool. Suggestion to anyone else who needs to replace the tank is make sure you have some new clips ready before starting.
As I repair things I just wiggle them with some mole grips till they snap and replace with jubilee clips that tighten up with a 7mm socket,

If it the same as my other hoses, Yes they are suppose to be a one shot deal and fastened with a speciel tool

As I repair things I just wiggle them with some mole grips till they snap and replace with jubilee clips that tighten up with a 7mm socket,

If it the same as my other hoses, Yes they are suppose to be a one shot deal and fastened with a speciel tool
I had a couple of jubilee clips in my toolbox but both were the same size. They were too small for the large hose and too big for the small hose. If I had realised when I ordered the tank that I would need new clips I would have ordered some. My comments here are to forewarn others. Fiat hose clips are very difficult to remove and re-use without ruining them.
It made an easy job difficult.

Due to the age of parts, when replacing a unit that is connected to rubber hoses, be prepared to also replace the hoses and clips as over time, rubber perishes and the OEM Fiat clips can't really be opened and reused. Also, the clips tend to squash the rubber so tight to imprint their shape in the rubber to such an extent that a standard jubliee clip of same diamater won't usually work.

Back