Technical Check engine

Currently reading:
Technical Check engine

Sorry I don't mean to be rude, but obviously the original poster needs to get the code read asap, and for EML, a cheap and cheerful generic code reader will do just fine. Let's not over complicate and analyze things too much. o_O

EML (engine management light) means that ECU has discovered a serious fault, which needs to be sorted as soon as possible. That code can be read with a generic fault code reader, like Bluetooth EML327 dongle with that Carscanner android app. That is the quickest and cheapest way to get the code. Tell it here, and some of us should be able to tell if it's serious enough to stop driving.

It's possible that your good neighbor has a reader like that and can assist you.(y)

This is what I found 😁

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-03-19-18-53-34-640_com.ovz.carscanner.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-03-19-18-53-34-640_com.ovz.carscanner.jpg
    382.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot_2023-03-19-18-55-27-734_com.ovz.carscanner.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-03-19-18-55-27-734_com.ovz.carscanner.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 52
It's great that you were able to sort it out.

Unfortunately I think the code may be quite severe. It may leave you stranded on the side of the road, but it's very difficult to know because this code is only a result of something. It depends on what's caused it. Sometimes heater element may fail, as it says, or there's a wiring fault. I'd just take a bus to the airport.

https://mechanicalboost.com/p0054/#P0054_Code_Definition

Also just noticed the start /stop button light is always on(can't switch it off). If i long press it I get the messege " start / stop connected/disconnected" but the button is still on. Might be related? 😬

Stop start won’t work if there is an engine warning light on, you might get a message saying stop start unavailable at some point either while driving or on start up.

That list of fault codes is pointing to the O2 sensor that is screwed into the exhaust. The way these sensors work is by heating a medium up and then oxygen can pass through it, if the heater isn’t working then the sensor will not read correctly, normally in this instance the engine will run on a default program and shouldn’t (theoretically) breakdown, but it’s not something you can ignore and carry on driving, you’ll need either a new sensor which are fairly common and not very expensive and you can fit it yourself if you’re handy with spanners or you can get a garage to do it, either way it’s a quick-ish job and unlikely to be anything to do with the MOT unless they somehow broke a wire while jacking it up or poking around.

We have three separate fault
Engine check light
Start stop
Exclamation warning light

The exclamation we are fairly sure is the new LED bulbs

Start stop I am going to skip over for now

Right the engine check light

Both are for the lower under the car O2 sensor.

The main job of the post catalytic O2 sensor is to monitor the CAT it’s self. It has very little to do with the running of the car.

There 2 separate circuits running to the sensor. The first is a simple heating element. The second monitors the oxygen in the exhaust gasses

P0054 post cat heater
P0136 post cat signal

It’s as if it’s not plugged in as you you have both circuits fail

Have you had any exhaust work done lately or hit any debris on the road ?

I’d start by having a look its connector.
Is it damaged,
is it plugged in.
Is it corroded,
Has water got in.

Also follow the wires a bit have they got damaged

I wouldn’t buy any parts yet. We can check voltages to the heating element and the resistance of the element and so on.

It’s a hard one to advise on whether it’s okay to drive. Post CAT has very little to do with the running of the engine.

We have three separate fault
Engine check light
Start stop
Exclamation warning light
If the engine light comes on stop start.... stops working.

The triangle is a generic warning light it comes on when ever a fault is displayed on the dash info panel so in this case its all likely connected with the engine warning light, or if there is a bulb issue (except headlight bulbs) it can also come on, but clearly the OP acknowledges the LEDs possibly being the cause of this.
I'll take it to Manchester and leave it to a Garage there, i'm back on 5th, they can sort it out by then 😬❤️
Seems to be a pretty reasonable course of action.

Back