Cheapest 2010 antivirus software

Currently reading:
Cheapest 2010 antivirus software

Time to renew yearly computer protection software. Used McAfee past couple of years and cheapest I've found is, McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2010 for £14.50 from PlayTrade for 1 user license (its all I need). Any body point me in the direction of cheaper? Or better?

i've never noticed mcafee taking up too much resource, so never had a problem in the respect.
i noticed a mcafee antivirus plus 2010, 3 user license for £13.99. so £4.60 for a years cover each isn't bad really.
is avg any good though?

I've never paid for AV software and never will! There are plenty of good free alternatives out there...AVG being one of them. I've never had a problem with it.

I use AVG Free. I did use Norton, but that was like a huge bouncer, consuming resources and very slow to react. AVG is fast and nimble, like a Ninja!

The one thing you must do with AVG is make sure that the updates have completed. If it gets disturbed whilst updating, it can sometimes requires you to update manually to ensure you are protected. A small price to pay since it is free.

AVG or Avast, both free, both perfectly fine for a domestic user.

AVG or Avast, both free, both perfectly fine for a domestic user.

Had avast on ours up till two days ago ..researching online got me one mother of all viruses that wiped our pc and gave me a bloomin headache I can tell ya..my lad said i was lucky it didnt fry the mother board and drives..he did manage to get the PC up and running after 4/5 hrs work and now we have a Microsoft protection one [I think] till he sorts it out next Sunday ..I been told not to be to eager to click on links in the future..just in case anyone is researching the same be careful if your looking at the case where Mobil took castrol to court..:p or if you looking at the scooby forums..:doh:

Had avast on ours up till two days ago ..researching online got me one mother of all viruses that wiped our pc and gave me a bloomin headache I can tell ya..my lad said i was lucky it didnt fry the mother board and drives..he did manage to get the PC up and running after 4/5 hrs work and now we have a Microsoft protection one [I think] till he sorts it out next Sunday ..I been told not to be to eager to click on links in the future..just in case anyone is researching the same be careful if your looking at the case where Mobil took castrol to court..:p or if you looking at the scooby forums..:doh:

I dont mean to sound "arsey" here, but can you ask your lad what the name of the virus was please? The reason I ask is that the days of viruses "wiping your pc" are LONG gone, and absolutely none have the capability of frying motherboards or drives!

Viruses these days rely on the machine being on, and able to replicate and send itself on. You'd have to go back to the mid/late 90s since I last saw a virus that would delete multiple files maliciously.

Hi, reply for papa p, there was a virus last year, which actually knackered the hard drive, it was on the news etc, not sure what it was called thou, there was a warning about it thou. Also avg is ok, however, I have had to sort a lot of computers out with the free avg due to viruses, alot of getting a virus is user error, as most of the time people dont look at what there downloading. I use bit defender, have done for 9 years now, never had a virus yet, touch wood lol

I dont mean to sound "arsey" here, but can you ask your lad what the name of the virus was please? The reason I ask is that the days of viruses "wiping your pc" are LONG gone, and absolutely none have the capability of frying motherboards or drives!

Viruses these days rely on the machine being on, and able to replicate and send itself on. You'd have to go back to the mid/late 90s since I last saw a virus that would delete multiple files maliciously.

Thanks for that I dont think your being arsey one bit..not a PC geek myself and I had never used or wanted to till I bought a stilo..that car has a lot to answer for..:D all I can tell you is I had a message come up saying that a worm/virus was attempting to get banking and password info and to counter act it i could press a button on a problem clearer to counter act it..this I did but then the application to clear the problem wanted paying to have the file..I then found I couldnt clear the file from the home page where all my file symbols were and i couldnt find it either in the control panel..things went from bad to worse and the PC finally went black screen [any idea why]..I lost the lot all my files and fav's the lot :( and the wifes office stuff :D..pc was dead as a dodo..zilch nothing nada..:(

Last edited:
Thanks for that I dont think your being arsey one bit..not a PC geek myself and I had never used or wanted to till I bought a stilo..that car has a lot to answer for..:D all I can tell you is I had a message come up saying that a worm/virus was attempting to get banking and password info and to counter act it i could press a button on a problem clearer to counter act it..this I did but then the application to clear the problem wanted paying to have the file..I then found I couldnt clear the file from the home page where all my file symbols were and i couldnt find it either in the control panel..things went from bad to worse and the PC finally went black screen [any idea why]..I lost the lot all my files and fav's the lot :( and the wifes office stuff :D..pc was dead as a dodo..zilch nothing nada..:(

the message that came up wasn't from your own anti virus program. they are a special scam designed especially for people like you. you should have just ignored it and called for help.

Back