CD's to MP3 what software do you use?

Currently reading:
CD's to MP3 what software do you use?

I am looking to convert all my CD's to MP's so I can use them in the car without having to use CD's (stereo, takes SD or USB thumb drive). Also want them on Laptop for when out and about / work etc.

Storage space isn't too much of an issue so not too bothered about size and would like to keep quality fairly high.

So what software do you use to do this?

i generally use Itunes in lossless format

my music goes on my ipod so makes sense to just use Itunes

I dont think there is much difference when it comes to CD ripping software

If size isn't an issue I would definitely use a lossless format (check your headunit can play the format first) like .wav etc. (Google is your friend)

However each song can be around 100MB each so this might take up a bit too much space. However, if you use a little compression on for instance an .m4a file 320kbps quality you will be able to store a lot more. (Each song about 5 - 10MB)

I personally use iTunes because I use my iPod in my car but you'll find lots of software online which all basically do the same thing.

For car audio going lossless is pretty pointless unless you have a really top of the line sound system and have invested a lot in sound deadening for the car.
Otherwise the quality you gain from lossless formats is negated by the cacophony of other noise that you get in a moving car.

For car audio going lossless is pretty pointless unless you have a really top of the line sound system and have invested a lot in sound deadening for the car.
Otherwise the quality you gain from lossless formats is negated by the cacophony of other noise that you get in a moving car.

True, but would you not much rather do it right first time than cut corners just for the sake of saving a few MB on a USB stick?

I've checked and my head unit can only play MP3. It does however have audio in.... so I may go down the route of using my laptop as the player, but that's more ball ache than swapping CD's... and there's another project behind that anyway. For now I think I'll just go for high quality MP3's store them on my central server and that'll be fine for playing remotely on other devices, and I can pick a few albums to bung onto CD / Pen drive etc as and when.

I've given free rip a go and it's done the job well.

Thanks everyone :)

Back