Anti Virus Software for older computers

Currently reading:
Anti Virus Software for older computers

Howdy

on my laptop & netbook i use AVG free as my antivirus, combined with Malwarebytes anti-malware. both machines run great and you dont notice them running. these are reasonably high spec machines.

I have recently repaired an old desktop thats running 1GhZ processor and 512mb RAM. this is going to be used as an office PC so it will be running office 97 (word and excel mainly) and the internet. (IE). when i got it running it was running symantec antivirus that wouldnt update (the machine hasnt run for 2 years nearly) so i presumed its no longer supported.
I have also repaired a laptop of similar spec, (256mb RAM) and this had no virus protection at all. again this is used for MS office and internet/citrix clients. both run windows xp and have always had XP on them. These are for a student (mrs going back to uni!) to use.

I have installed AVG on the PC as it was just within the specs and it scanned the machine and now, when using the PC, the PC is running like a dog... 20 minutes to start up and then at least 10 minutes to open a program. AVG is the culprit. I havent even bothered to put this on the laptop as it hasnt got anywhere near the required RAM.

im not looking to up the specs of the machines, i was just wondering if anyone could recomend a supported free antivirus for running on older spec machines?

any ideas?

Brother uses avast, free version. Might be worth a punt?

Also if your not doing it already, fix the pagefile size at double the memory for a PC speeds it up a bit, and also set it at minimum graphics on XP, this will make it look like win 2000 though

Brother uses avast, free version. Might be worth a punt?

Also if your not doing it already, fix the pagefile size at double the memory for a PC speeds it up a bit, and also set it at minimum graphics on XP, this will make it look like win 2000 though

the laptop in question is running like that, the pc isnt.

if i can blag another 512mb i'd upgrade it. with only a 1ghz processor i didnt feel it was worth it

Try Clam AV.

Of course, you could save yourself the problems by running Linux and Open Office Org. OOO is now a more competent and more stable suite than MS Office ever was, and just about every file format is covered.

Recently there was a joke on the Alonya Show (Russia Today): "How do you tell if someone has a low IQ?" "They're still running IE".

Everyone has switched to Mozilla or Chrome.

Recently there was a joke on the Alonya Show (Russia Today): "How do you tell if someone has a low IQ?" "They're still running IE".
That was part of some spoof research that the BBC commented on and also got removed within a few hours. Those pesky Ruskies!!!

I still run IE - and I don't have a low IQ - so not that funny is it! :p

Tbf I think IE security is grossly underestimated mostly by people stuck in their ways or browser snobs. I know for a FACT one of the browsers you mentioned has more current and serious security issues outstanding *cough* FireFox *cough* than IE8 & 9.

I am ofcourse asuming said user has Windows Updates enabled.

Last edited:
Back