General Cheap front wiper blades

Currently reading:
General Cheap front wiper blades

The inner one on the tailgate was ok, as were the two the other side, but the outer ones are the legal ones, as tailgate ones can 'disappear' if travelling with the lid open.

Not sure on the accuracy of that as there are plenty of vehicles with tailgate only mounted lighting, as number plates ;)

Certain vehicles do have additional lighting so that lighting to the rear is still visible when the tailgate is open, such as the Audi A1 (inside the tailgate enclosure), and BMW i3 (below the tailgate on the rear bumper, but these repeater lamps only operate when the tailgate is open / unlatched and are dead the rest of the time), but that’s more for safety when loading / unloading rather than so you can drive about with the tailgate open.

Not sure on the accuracy of that as there are plenty of vehicles with tailgate only mounted lighting, as number plates ;)

Normal tail lights, indicators and brake lights have to be visible, so will always be on the main body. Number plates have been on tailgates and bootlids for ever, and can be invisible temporarily as not covered by the same requirements. Only lights that could only be on the opening part are number plate, and reverse lights. Lid can have additional ones of the others.

Normal tail lights, indicators and brake lights have to be visible, so will always be on the main body. Number plates have been on tailgates and bootlids for ever, and can be invisible temporarily as not covered by the same requirements. Only lights that could only be on the opening part are number plate, and reverse lights. Lid can have additional ones of the others.

Normal vehicle type approval isn’t done with the tailgate open. That’s the point I’m making. As such there are vehicles without having lighting on the main body.

I’m not aware of any legislation specifying that lighting must be on the main body so people can drive about with the tailgate open.

Normal vehicle type approval isn’t done with the tailgate open. That’s the point I’m making. As such there are vehicles without having lighting on the main body.

I’m not aware of any legislation specifying that lighting must be on the main body so people can drive about with the tailgate open.

There are lots of vehicles with main lighting on the tailgate, but they are additional lights. There will always be some main lighting on the fixed parts of the car.
I bet you cannot list any vehicle with main lighting only on the moving parts.

Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations, Regulation 19.
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/regulation/19/made
Many years ago, I had to read the whole thing, for my job. Much has stuck.

Last edited:
I’ll get my coat. I won’t lie, I did try and have a look but other than the A1, which has the additional lights on the body under the tailgate which come on when the boot is open, I couldn’t find any without additional body mounted lights. Those regs will be why - you learn something every day! (y) :)

...I bet you cannot list any vehicle with main lighting only on the moving parts....

You're right - but, what about the current version Ford Transit van? It's rear lights are on the body, yes, but perfectly obscured by the rear loading doors when they are open. Ford realise this and actually put a sticker on the doors to explain the problem and suggest putting a warning triangle at the rear of the van if parked at night with the door open! I couldn't believe that when I saw it... (you can see the problem in the photo here, and look closely at the edge of the right hand door for the warning sticker) https://vanguide.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/customdim.jpg )

Last edited:
You're right - but, what about the current version Ford Transit van? It's rear lights are on the body, yes, but perfectly obscured by the rear loading doors when they are open. Ford realise this and actually put a sticker on the doors to explain the problem and suggest putting a warning triangle at the rear of the van if parked at night with the door open! I couldn't believe that when I saw it... (you can see the problem in the photo here, and look closely at the edge of the right hand door for the warning sticker) https://vanguide.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/customdim.jpg )

Interesting. Just see this when doing an image search, both blocked if only opened to 90 degrees :eek:

So the Transit seems not to comply with the regs. Been allowed a let with stickers, which will not last the life of the van. Euro legislators should have made them comply, even recalling all vans already sold. That would have caused a bit of an upset. Perhaps Ford carry some clout still, despite moving production from UK to Turkey, so not even in the EU. Could have been a coup for EU manufacturers.

Matters little anyway. The silly narrow lights on current Transit are all but invisible in daylight. Even checking they're working can be a challenge, especially when sunny.

I worked for Land Rover when the original Discovery was launched , and with the rear door open the spare wheel covered the rear light so an additional light was fitted in the edge of the door which from the rear when open, gave two symmetrical lights . This lasted a couple of years before it was deemed not legal by the type approval people. We ended up fitting an extra set of lights in the bumper which was below the door and wheel when open so could still , rear door open or not.

Last edited:
I worked for Land Rover when the original Discovery was launched , and with the rear door open the spare wheel covered the rear light so an additional light was fitted in the edge of the door which from the rear when open, gave two symmetrical lights . This lasted a couple of years before it was deemed not legal by the type approval people. We ended up fitting an extra set of lights in the bumper which was below the door and wheel when open so could still , rear door open or not.

Ah that’s why the lights became repeated in the rear bumper. Learn something every day! :D

Back on topic (!) can someone please confirm the correct part no for the origiial Fiat blade pair for a 2015 RHD Panda - I think the Mopar site whilst cheap may only be offering LHD at the moment

For the benefit of other users these are the part numbers I have been given for genuine wiper blades for a RHD UK car:

51846060 Left & 51846061 Right

Currently about thirty quid the pair delivered via Mopar

After 84 cars and 1.5 mllion miles and 47 years of driving I think I can say with utter confidence that there is no such thing as a cheap wiper blade. Or not one that is of any use at all. I just go for BOSCH blades and pay under £20 for a pair these days. These work every time and last OK they dont judder and they resist smear. All the times I tried cheap ones without any exceptions I wasted my money. Ditto tyres. If you really cant afford to buy decent ones is a big pain in the bum and you have to compromise, but its more expensive in then long run so you take the double whammy of extarx costs more time spent getting and fixing parts and poorer performance.

Thankfully these days even the cheaper parts are better than they were 20 or 30 years back.

I have just fitted new wipers to my panda, Lucas airflex at just £7 each. I think these are actually better than the overrated Bosch Aerotwins & Heyner blades I had previous to these, much quieter, clear better & a fraction of the cost. I always use Fiat 500 blades as whenever you see wipers in the motor factors that are supposed to be for the new panda the connections are always wrong so I gave up & used 500 blades ever since. Only difference is the passenger side blade is an inch shorter but not really noticeable once on the car:D

Back