Technical Weak front arms (wishbones)

Currently reading:
Technical Weak front arms (wishbones)

Whilst the OE parts were upgraded, it is likely that Fiat will now only supply the later, stronger ones. Aftermarket manufacturers will have taken an early example to copy, and may not have picked up on the upgrade. Aftermarket parts are therefore likely to be of the earlier, weaker design. If you know who the manufacturer is, a short email, asking whether theirs is to the later design, might prompt an upgrade, but it won't be quick, and not until existing stock is gone.
Try some later OE ones, and drive more gently on rough roads.
I believe latter iterations (post 2016) have a mixture of parts on them. LEMFÖRDER make the ball joints, as you can see this by the logo embossed on the rubber boot. Arms & bushes made by Fiat, as the FCA logo can be seen on the rear most doughnut bush of the wishbone.

2012-16 wishbones were known for the rear most bushes separating from the pressed in sleeve, causing the arm to become loose as well as a few examples of the pressed steel being weaker. They are good for 30-70k depending on use. I have first-hand experience of this with a 2012 model I used to own.

Post 2016 wishbones come with LEMFÖRDER ball joints and modified bushes that are more resistant to separation, delamination and most likely thicker pressed steel arms. I may add they are still very light vs old cast version on the previous panda/500. They are good for 100k with very little effort with no play.

In fact, I contacted LEMFÖRDER a few years back and they specifically stated that the pre 2016 arms they produce (38555 01/38554 01) are not to be used as replacements for post 03/2016 cars. That’s why I decided to purchase, in anticipation some good used post 2016 arms should I need them in the future.

Post 2020 hybrid models come with further modifications. This is where things get a little complicated. Both hybrid models (panda/500) have a new front sub-frame. Some panda models continued using the post 2016 arms (52013959/52013960), whereas, the 500 got new arms (52013961/52013962).

The two arm types appear interchangeable as they share the same front sub-frame (are they using old stock arms for the panda?). The new arms appear to have a substantially reworked (beefy) looking rearmost bush and will be a massive improvement over the original cast steel arm of the 500 from 2007 which were poor at best.

Hopefully this makes sense and clarifies a few things. It’s useful to know. I did my research into those just because I was curious as to why newer panda models were far less prone to needing suspension work than pre 2016 models.

Back