Technical Changed ignition barrel and housing immoboliser kicked in??

Currently reading:
Technical Changed ignition barrel and housing immoboliser kicked in??

dobbypopty

Hi guys been using the forum for a while but my first post should be a good one

So Doblo 04 plate. Classic key not turning and the jiggle method stopped working (don't use GT85) so couldn't get the barrel out.

i took the steering wheel off with a good youtube video to help, when i got to the sheer bolts i cut a line in them with a hacksaw blade and they came out easily with a flat head screwdriver. as i've got a spare doblo i repeted the proceduce and swapped the whole ignition barrel housing over

I thought i was a genius until the car wouldn't start. i guess its the immoboliser and i'm hoping you guys have some information to help me get her going myself

can i buy some type of obd port reader thing suggestions would be awesome on where to go next

The 'new' ignition barrel comes with a 'new' key. Each key contains a microchip, which the immobiliser reads. The 'new' key does not belong, so the immobiliser will refuse a start.
Around the outside of the barrel is the aerial for the immobiliser. Remove it from around the barrel, and relocate it as far away as possible, whatever its cable will allow. Place your original key in the aerial. Now try a start. Hopefully should work.

If this works, a temporary fix would be to tape the old key and aerial inside the cowling, out of sight. Easier if the spare key is a plain, non-remote type. Downside is that the spare key is now inside the vehicle, and the immobiliser is effectively by-passed.

Permanent fix would be to recode that key to the vehicle, losing the originals.

Ideal answer is a new barrel, ordered using the VIN, so it comes keyed alike to the original. Budget and availability permitting.
Alternative, is a full set of locks, body ECU and ignition ECU from a scrap identical vehicle. Electronically your vehicle takes on the identity of the donor, including its mileage.
Complicated solution. Dismantle both barrels, and try to replicate the internals of the 'new' one to match the old one, so using the original key.

Thank you crazy and a big thank you to Bill for so much detailed information i love to know every nut and bolt type senario i'll get back to you the thread and keep everyone informed how it went.

also planning on getting my other doblo running at some point. i saw a good youtube video of someone reconning a ducato barrel so hopefully i can get my stuck one out recon it and swap everything back over agin.

Any tips on getting the stuck one out ? does the tab have to be drilled?

I THINK there is a position where the key just brings the innards out..
Should be the case. There is usually a little pin that needs pushing out.
With key in, turn it usually one click, then the pin should push out, and the innards come out with the key. Often will need the barrel out of its housing on the column, as that housing will mask the pin as a security precaution.

Back