General Broken transmission part

Currently reading:
General Broken transmission part

fma1964

Hello All,
I have a FIAT 500 with automatic transmission and I have a small plastic part that came out. I have a hard time placing it back.
Do I need that? I am attempting to cut it. Please see the picture attached. Thanks. This is the FIAT 2012 500.

Attachments

• IMG_20240108_145324911.jpg
    IMG_20240108_145324911.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 63
Hi sorry to here of your problem! someone with a greater knowledge of the auto transmission will pick up on this eventually and give you a decent answer! 🤔In the mean time DONT cut it or try to adapt it in any way! it MUST be there for a reason( even a small and pointless one!) it was fitted by the maker so must go back in without being modified its just about knowing how and why?:rolleyes:
As some one who has jumped in and done similar in the past without thinking due to frustration and the like i can wholeheartedly tell you that in some cases a little restraint and patience is a good thing! (y)and might save you bigger problems in the future!:eek:
hope you sort it!( and let us know what the part is ands does!).🤨

Hi sorry to here of your problem! someone with a greater knowledge of the auto transmission will pick up on this eventually and give you a decent answer! 🤔In the mean time DONT cut it or try to adapt it in any way! it MUST be there for a reason( even a small and pointless one!) it was fitted by the maker so must go back in without being modified its just about knowing how and why?:rolleyes:
As some one who has jumped in and done similar in the past without thinking due to frustration and the like i can wholeheartedly tell you that in some cases a little restraint and patience is a good thing! (y)and might save you bigger problems in the future!:eek:
hope you sort it!( and let us know what the part is ands does!).🤨
Thank you. I will wait. Appreciate your feed back.

Sorry, not obvious to me.. 😕

@Rocco Reviews could you post a pic of an undamaged one? 🤔
(I think it will be different to a Poland built car.. As its a different Gearbox.. and motor..)
Basically that piece is supposed to be underneath. Mine had that issue but instead it got lodged in the assembly so I couldn't shift it easily. To the OP @fma1964, since it's sticking out like that, just take a utility knife and cut it off. It'll leave a little hope but it's small and It'll fix it permanently.

Basically that piece is supposed to be underneath. Mine had that issue but instead it got lodged in the assembly so I couldn't shift it easily. To the OP @fma1964, since it's sticking out like that, just take a utility knife and cut it off. It'll leave a little hope but it's small and It'll fix it permanently.
Thanks. I think it is used to prevent any water or other items from falling into the small hole! To fix this, the proper way might require lots of work in removing items, which might result in more issues!! T

Guess it depends on if your competent enough to take it all apart and fix it properly! or prefer a quick fix( i hesitate to use the word "bodge" as its a bit judgemental!) and can live with the results! personally if it was not right and did not "look" right it would drive me to distraction! id HAVE to do it properly whichever route you take i hope it works and your happy with it!.

Thanks. I think it is used to prevent any water or other items from falling into the small hole! To fix this, the proper way might require lots of work in removing items, which might result in more issues!! T
Yes that’s exactly what’s it’s for. The proper repair is to replace the shifter assembly as a unit which the past itself costs over $250. My studio tech told me to just cut it out. 45k later and so far so good. I’m just careful with what I do around it, I’m just careful in general bc my OCD for a clean car is really high so I try to never spill, but whatever route you go, let us know how it turns out!

Back