Technical Problem with the transmission?

Currently reading:
Technical Problem with the transmission?

Gail80

Hello, I hope you might be able to help! I have had my Fiat 500 Lounge (2009) for 2mths. Yesterday, I was having trouble getting the gears in, especially 1 & 2. I had to put the hazards on in heavy traffic whilst I tried for 10mins to sort it out. I eventually managed to get it going after turning the engine off and starting it up again. However, the same thing happened not too far along the road and I called the breakdown company. When he finally came, he had no trouble getting it onto and off the low loader.
Any suggestions as to what it might be?

Possibly clutch hydraulics, slave or master cylinder leaking. Does the clutch pedal feel firm with steady resistance all the way from top to bottom of travel or a little soft or freeplay at the top as you start to press pedal.
If the fluid in the reservoir is dropping (maybe taken from brake reservoir to clutch master cylinder) that might be a pointer, also if when it next does it and with car in neutral do a couple of steady presses to the floor with the clutch pedal and then see if it goes in to gear easier, this can be a guide to above issue.
If you have a habit of holding the clutch pedal down longer than necessary in traffic this will exaggerate the problem, particularly if it is a master cylinder fault, under those circumstances, say holding pedal down whilst in first gear you may find it hard to pull the lever back in to neutral.
As a get you home trick you may switch engine off, put car in gear , then start with clutch pedal down and drive off in an emergency.
On a less serious note I have had customers with that problem when carpet jammed under clutch pedal or seat to far back.;)

Hello, I hope you might be able to help! I have had my Fiat 500 Lounge (2009) for 2mths. Yesterday, I was having trouble getting the gears in, especially 1 & 2. I had to put the hazards on in heavy traffic whilst I tried for 10mins to sort it out. I eventually managed to get it going after turning the engine off and starting it up again. However, the same thing happened not too far along the road and I called the breakdown company. When he finally came, he had no trouble getting it onto and off the low loader.
Any suggestions as to what it might be?
Hi :)

Is it a manual gearbox ..with a clutch pedal ?

or an auto.

A good test:

Turn OFF ENGINE

Try and change gear now..is it easier

If so its the clutch..not the gearbox

Back