General Brake lights working but no tailights

Currently reading:
General Brake lights working but no tailights

tjordan

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this question, new to the forum.

The taillights on my 06 Fiat Panda 1.2 aren't working, but the brake lights do. I've taken the casings off and checked the connectors for debris and gave it a gentle clean, but still no luck.

Anyone have any thoughts on why this is happening?

Thanks

Have you tried new bulbs

Or measure the resitance

Were they bulbs LED or filament?

Are the replacement LED?

It's not unusual for bulbs to go in pairs they are the same age

Last edited:
have you checked the bulbs? They are dual filament, so there is a possibility that the taillight filament has blown on both bulbs, but the brake light will still illuminate if that filament is fine.
Have you tried new bulbs

Or measure the resitance

Were they bulbs LED or filament?

Are the replacement LED?

It's not unusual for bulbs to go in pairs they are the same age
I've replaced both bulbs (filament) and still the same thing happens - brake light works, taillights don't. I've checked both fuse boxes (under the steering wheel & under hood) and every fuse is fine. Bit lost at this point...

Might be wise to check your alternator output which should give a voltage at the battery when engine is reving of no more that 14.4 volts

Great that eliminates quite a bit

All the inputs are working

We need to focus on the outputs

The body computer (BSI) will shut off the power if it detects the wrong current, Are you 100% sure the bulbs are the correct type and wattage

Do you have a multi meter or test light

If you but the hazard on, do the brake lights dim in time with the flashing?

Last edited:
Great that eliminates quite a bit

All the inputs are working

We need to focus on the outputs

The body computer (BSI) will shut off the power if it detects the wrong current, Are you 100% sure the bulbs are the correct type and wattage

Do you have a multi meter or test light

If you but the hazard on, do the brake lights dim in time with the flashing?
I put these bulbs in from Halfords.

Got a slight other problem now - when I indicate right, the right brake light flashes. I had this problem recently where when I indicated all the lights started flashing, and I fixed it by cleaning out the tailight connectors as there was some sort of debris that was causing a problem with the connection.

Just checked the hazards - only the right brake light dims in time with the hazards.

I haven't got a multi meter but feel like this is a sign to get one.

I haven't got a multi meter but feel like this is a sign to get one.
I find one very useful not just for the car. Checking fuses, cables, sockets and bulbs and so on

This is about as cheap as you can go, when I last looked and still have the ability to measure amps

It's no really rated 1000V though, 240V and under is fine

Ordering from China and waiting 6 weeks is no problem now we know what the two problems are

Great. Sorted the flashing brake light after scraping the rear light connector. So next step to sort out the rear lights is to get a multi meter and check the earth, is that right?

Back