General No warning light, No oil in engine, I may have killed it.

Currently reading:
General No warning light, No oil in engine, I may have killed it.

How were the fluid levels?
The fluid levels were Ok. But the mechanic says he is struggling to reprogram the replacement throttle body to get the Panda to accept it. He says he is going to try disconnecting the battery to tomorrow morning. It was going to get MOT'd tomorrow but no point if he can't get her going.

The fluid levels were Ok. But the mechanic says he is struggling to reprogram the replacement throttle body to get the Panda to accept it. He says he is going to try disconnecting the battery to tomorrow morning. It was going to get MOT'd tomorrow but no point if he can't get her going.
It very confusing from this side of the desk and messages passed on

It's a 69HP

No oil the VVT can't work, engine check light on and limp mode, error codes present

Misfire, equals a Throttle body, back to at least being plausible if very unlikely

Can't program the new throttle body, going to leave the battery off, back to I don't know what's going on, adaptive memory is is stored in none volatile memory it doesn't matter if it's disconnected for a day, a week, a month, a year. The only way to clear is via software, I have this engine a cheap £5 dongle and free software will clear it. Along with MultiEcuScan, wow, delphi and many more

Sounds like a stalling technique so they can get to the route cause,

It's a 69HP

No oil the VVT can't work, engine check light on and limp mode, error codes present

Misfire, equals a Throttle body, back to at least being plausible if very unlikely

Can't program the new throttle body, going to leave the battery off, back to I don't know what's going on, adaptive memory is is stored in none volatile memory it doesn't matter if it's disconnected for a day, a week, a month, a year. The only way to clear is via software, I have this engine a cheap £5 dongle and free software will clear it. Along with MultiEcuScan, wow, delphi and many more

Thx for the tip about the memory, I am going to the garage in the morning I will pass that on.

It's a 69HP

It's a 69HP

Hi Porta i am from the sticks (millom cumbria) there seems to be not anyone near with the software. My mechanic has asked me to ask you do you have a link where I can buy the gadget and software to clear the engine.

Hi Porta i am from the sticks (millom cumbria) there doesn't seem to be anyone near with the software. My mechanic has asked me to ask you do you have a link where I can buy the gadget and software to clear the engine. Thx.

Hi Porta i am from the sticks (millom cumbria) there doesn't seem to be anyone near with the software. My mechanic has asked me to ask you do you have a link where I can buy the gadget and software to clear the engine. Thx.

Gendan sells the entire kit you just need a win laptop if you don’t have one you can pick one up relatively cheaply on ebay.

Know it well, I have relatives in Kirkby in Furness, Ulverston and Broughton.
I was sure there was someone on the forum map who had the software. I still haven’t updated from my original ‘universal’ one, which is well out of date…and I really didn’t want to go down the ‘microsoft’ route

Know it well, I have relatives in Kirkby in Furness, Ulverston and Broughton.
I was sure there was someone on the forum map who had the software. I still haven’t updated from my original ‘universal’ one, which is well out of date…and I really didn’t want to go down the ‘microsoft’ route
My missus works at the vets in Broughton she knows nearly everyone LOL. My mechanic now suspects the engine might have blown a ring because there is oil on the bottom of the replacement throttle body. If the reprogramming was going to be under 50 quid it was worth a gamble but if the kit is over 100 quid then he thinks it is a good money after bad scenario and I should just get a replacement engine. So got an engine of Ebay from Carlisle 2008 74k for £225 plus £75 delivery with a 30 day warranty. He will stick a new clutch in when swapping the engine as it would be daft not to he said. (Will he do the timing belt as well? I forgot to ask) I have known this lad since we were kids he really knows his stuff 99/100, salt of the earth, but this one has had him scratching his head a bit. Thx everyone for their help and input :)

Is that engine from a panda?

I guess it's this one

Screenshot_20240201_203349.jpg

Carlisle 2008 74k for £225 plus £75

It's not a 69HP

2003-2011 is wrong

There are 3 major changes in design

Some minor changes throw in

Swapping a none VVT into a car where the ECU is expecting the Cam to advance will be fun.

As in unless you have the knowledge to reconfigure the programing of the ECU it's probably a none starter

Last edited:
Is that engine from a panda?

I guess it's this one

View attachment 437629

Carlisle 2008 74k for £225 plus £75

It's not a 69HP

2003-2011 is wrong

There are 3 major changes in design

Some minor changes throw in

Swapping a none VVT into a car where the ECU is expecting the Cam to advance will be fun.

As in unless you have the knowledge to reconfigure the programing of the ECU it's probably a none starter
Cheers will cancel

Cheers will cancel
No problem

For a direct swap it has to be like for like

The panda didn't get this engine till quite late on, so any from a panda will be quite expensive

Not sure if any from other models fit, possible

There normally easier, quicker and cheaper to fix

Personally an unknown, at a garage it would be worth starting with a compession test and see what we are starting with

Could this be the correct engine
No problem

For a direct swap it has to be like for like

The panda didn't get this engine till quite late on, so any from a panda will be quite expensive

Not sure if any from other models fit, possible

There normally easier, quicker and cheaper to fix

Personally an unknown, at a garage it would be worth starting with a compession test and see what we are starting with
Will ask about the compression test tomorrow. As a back up is the correct engine https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/395080445854

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-01 230619.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-01 230619.png
    113.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot 2024-02-01 232421.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-01 232421.png
    528.8 KB · Views: 14
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
As a back up is the correct engine https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/395080445854
It could be; this is the Euro5 69HP 1.2 engine fitted to the Panda from around mid-2010.

BUT

this engine is going to need a bit of work before being refitted. Just from a superficial look at the photos:

- the sump is seriously corroded and may even be leaking already; it should be replaced
- there is a missing exhaust manifold attachment stud; it's impossible to see if it's broken inside the head, or if the threads are in good order
- the external coolant pipe from the water pump is seriously corroded and needs replacing

Add to that, a new cambelt, water pump, clutch, auxiliary belt, and fixing anything else that's broken that I haven't spotted .....

Nothing particularly difficult for someone with strong DIY skills, but if someone else is doing the work, it all adds up.

The garage you're proposing to use doesn't appear to have any Fiat specific knowledge; they don't even have FIAT diagnostic software. I wonder just how capable they are going to be at sorting out the inevitable issues that are going to arise when fitting this.

So you've paid for the engine, and they spend a day (or two) messing about with it, and they can't make it work. You're down the cost of the engine + delivery, and then who pays for their time, and just how much hassle is it going to be to sort things out?

If I were to list all the possible ways this could go wrong, I'd exceed the forum's limit for the post length.

Go back and read my previous post again, and think carefully if it's worth the risk of going down this route.

It could be; this is the Euro5 69HP 1.2 engine fitted to the Panda from around mid-2010.

BUT

this engine is going to need a bit of work before being refitted. Just from a superficial look at the photos:

- the sump is seriously corroded and may even be leaking already; it should be replaced
- there is a missing exhaust manifold attachment stud; it's impossible to see if it's broken inside the head, or if the threads are in good order
- the external coolant pipe from the water pump is seriously corroded and needs replacing

Add to that, a new cambelt, water pump, clutch, auxiliary belt, and fixing anything else that's broken that I haven't spotted .....

Nothing particularly difficult for someone with strong DIY skills, but if someone else is doing the work, it all adds up.

The garage you're proposing to use doesn't appear to have any Fiat specific knowledge; they don't even have FIAT diagnostic software. I wonder just how capable they are going to be at sorting out the inevitable issues that are going to arise when fitting this.

So you've paid for the engine, and they spend a day (or two) messing about with it, and they can't make it work. You're down the cost of the engine + delivery, and then who pays for their time, and just how much hassle is it going to be to sort things out?

If I were to list all the possible ways this could go wrong, I'd exceed the forum's limit for the post length.

Go back and read my previous post again, and think carefully if it's worth the risk of going down this route.
Thx for the advice. The cost (IF it goes well) will be, 300 engine delivered, engine will be fitted for 300 to 400 cash depending on what issues arise. Plus a new belt, clutch etc and the other things you mentioned but some bits will be taken off the old engine. Probably looking at a grand is what I am basing my decision on. Talked to a couple of other mechanics (without specific fiat knowledge) and petrol heads and they all say more or less the same that it is basically a crystal ball job.

The sump not weeping yet
Coverd in muck with a few scabs, you will not know until it's cleaned up

The coolant pipe looks fine, it's 10 years old, it's in better condition than most, it's just not hidden away under the heat sheild

The exhaust stud is a slight worry, good spot @jrkitching 👍 if you look at the photo of the engine number it looks empty, but you can't tell if the threads are okay
I suspect the nut and stud came out together, which is pretty normal

You will recuperate some of the money back as you will have

2x throttle body
1x ECU
1x coil pack, authough I would keep this as a spare while you still have the car

To sell

@47k I would have left the clutch alone, but if you are paying a garage its silly not to included at the same time, the pressure plate fingers are quite worn, probably someone resting there foot on the clutch pedal

But am surprised a garage can't fix the original,

Back