Technical Uneven brake feel

Currently reading:
Technical Uneven brake feel

I have an issue when coming to a stop where there is an uneven feel in the brake pedal in my 100HP. The only way I can describe it is as if the discs are warped. Not really noticeable in any other braking, only when coming to a stop. They are Brembo discs and pads, all fairly new with plenty of life left in both. I have had the car up and taken all the wheels off, everything looks normal and the hubs rotate freely with the discs not rubbing on the pads. Is there anything else anyone can think of?

Thanks in advance.

there is an uneven feel in the brake pedal in my
At the pedal

I guess you can feel a pulsing

That slows down with road speed

If yes

Is there any vibration on the steering wheel, while braking

If yes it's likely to be the front

Somewhere safe, try slowing the car down slowly with handbrake

If it's pulsing the problem is likely at the back

If you have someone to help

Jack up each corner and have them very gently press the brakes as you turn the wheel, it should smoothly get harder to turn

It's much easier with a DTI but few people have one at home

Last edited:
Hi Koalar, thanks for the quick response.
No other symptoms from the front, so I’ll try using the handbrake to stop tonight in the company car park. I had noticed a rotational squeak when the windows were open coming from the rear n/s after braking, but as I say everything looked normal and I’d just assumed it would be the front.
Thanks again.

I have an issue when coming to a stop where there is an uneven feel in the brake pedal in my 100HP. The only way I can describe it is as if the discs are warped. Not really noticeable in any other braking, only when coming to a stop. They are Brembo discs and pads, all fairly new with plenty of life left in both. I have had the car up and taken all the wheels off, everything looks normal and the hubs rotate freely with the discs not rubbing on the pads. Is there anything else anyone can think of?

Thanks in advance.
Probably because they are! SOmetimes they just go. After a hard drive is good to give time for cooling. If you stop when teh brake are very hot the spotwhere the pads are stays hot longer and I think can be the cause of warping. In wet weather teh discs tend to rust very fast if the car is parked up with wet discs and again thh area under the pads tends to be a rusty spot. When you brake lightly there is uneven braking. My 4x4 has the same brakes as yours and I have recently been experiencing the same thing. I was cursing as the car has only done 18K. Having been for along run at speed the other day I think it was rusty spots as they seem to be back to normal. I had a set of vented discs that warped after 1 raid stop. They cast £300 as set. I hope a little firm use will clean them up and you will be sorted. Otherwise check for discs that are not true. Plenty of info on U tube on how to do this. two bits of wood and a few anils you can make a gauge to check.

Last edited:
Back