Technical Rear brake pipe joint query…

Currently reading:
Technical Rear brake pipe joint query…

YorkshireFiat

I’m just starting to replace my rear axle (08 Multijet).

Where the rear rigid brake pipe joins the flexi (mounted on the axle), it is so rusty I can’t work out how the flexi is fastened in place…! Can anyone give me some guidance please?

My rigid pipes have unfastened easily because they are copper with brass fittings, so I don’t have that issue to solve this time. Thankfully!!

Many thanks in advance. 😊

Same fixings as the other end of flexi pipe - sliding clip holds end of flexi in bracket welded to bodyshell.
Sometimes the clip disintegrates on removal.
I usually cut the flexi pipe and spin it off the rigid pipe, but the unions on the rigid pipes are sometimes pretty bad, in which case I replace the rigid pipes from the flexi pipe joints to the joints under the passenger footwell.
A couple of times I have had to remake the body brackets too. Simple, but it all takes time.

Also be careful with the handbrake cable supports - they sometimes come away with the cables, or just fall apart. Not much of a problem if it's only the pop rivets letting go, but worse if they disintegrate.

sliding clip holds end of flexi in bracket welded to bodyshell.
Sometimes the clip disintegrates on removal.
So basically, assuming I can get replacement clips, and given that my rigid pipe is detached, I can just plan to destroy the clip / mounting point and clean up the flexi to re-fit with the new clip.

Is that right?

Any idea if the clips are available?

They are available, although fiendishly expensive for a bent bit of thin metal. They have been used on lots of models over the years.
Can be got on ebay for a slightly more reasonable price by searching "fiat brake pipe clip" and ignoring the ones that are £8+ each.

Back