Brake drum won't go on!

Currently reading:
Brake drum won't go on!

Jimtwoshoes

I have a 1971 fiat 500. I have replaced the front shoes, wheel cylinders and shoe springs. I have set the auto adjusters to the minimum, loosened the bleed nipple and there is no lip on the drum. I still can't get the drum on! Any ideas?
Frustration!!

I have a 1971 fiat 500. I have replaced the front shoes, wheel cylinders and shoe springs. I have set the auto adjusters to the minimum, loosened the bleed nipple and there is no lip on the drum. I still can't get the drum on! Any ideas?
Frustration!!
Hi :)

Are the shoes 'centred' correctly ?

Try Twisting the drum as you offer it up..

The shoes should self.centre ;)

Thank you. I have now managed to get the drum on and off a few times, but despite the adjusters being right off the drum is still too tight to turn. I have sanded and tapered the shoes but still the same.

Thank you. I have now managed to get the drum on and off a few times, but despite the adjusters being right off the drum is still too tight to turn. I have sanded and tapered the shoes but still the same.

Is it ok the other side..?

I was thinking wrong profiles to the shoes..? but if they are fitted as a pair.. it should be 'mirrored'
;)
there must be something standing it 'open'

This is my first fiat 500, Is it normal for the shoes not to be secured in anyway to the back plate? The shoes keep on flipping forwards when I'm working on them. I've never known shoes that aren't prevented from moving away from the backplate....wondering if this is the problem. I can't get to the wheel on the other side yet as I have a small garage. Will need to complete this side then move the car ?

Hi, I tried a drum from my other fiat and it wouldn't fit either. I took about 1mm of the contact edges on the shoes and it worked a treat. The shoes I bought must have been slightly oversized I guess. Thank you for your help :)

Back