Technical Boot Lock

Currently reading:
Technical Boot Lock

Our's is March 2004, so therefore manual only.

We had a Fiat500 Twinair a few years ago. 2011 version. That had a key fob with a "flick-knife" system to bring out the key for the ignition. The fob would lock/unlock the car including the boot lid.

We had a Renault Clio and that worked in the same way, and now a Toyota Yaris that works that way too though it's a Button start rather than a key.

The Panda has no such system other than central locking of the side doors. Rear door is manual and you need the key.
Seriously thinking of putting the spare key in the car so the ignition doesn't have to be turned off to open the boot.

Mick.

The lock seems mechanical, not electrical.
Acid test, is to disconnect the battery and try it, but that'll mean reprogramming the radio code and resetting the clock.
The key operated lock barrel is purely mechanical. It pulls a rod that operates the latch. No electrics involved.

If your hatch handle either
a) doesn't have a microswitch, or,
b) the handle/microswitch is gummed up
then disconnecting the battery won't change anything

The acid test would be to remove the interior trim panel from the hatch to see if the wiring is in place between the handle and the latch.

If the handle release is fitted, it's between the number plate lights. Does this part (C) move?

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
My brother has an early 1.2 Panda that has an electric boot release that wont operate with the car locked. It makes me think they were all built this way. I'm sure a remote push button could be wired into the circuit but you'd need to find the wires deep into the wiring loom and it would not work unless car is already unlocked - microswitch has no power when car is locked.

I tried to clean mine but it continues to stick and has to be pushed forward with your fingertips to reset the microswitch before it will release the lock.

Just occurred to me this afternoon.

The two keys we have will start the car and they use a function within the fob to talk to the immobiliser so the engine will fire up.
The boot doesn't need that function, as it's just a lock.

Therefore, we could go to a high street key cutter, and perhaps he could cut a "bare" key that we could leave in the car so we can open the boot without having to switch the car off.

Possible or not?

Mick.

Alternatively. Switch the car off as you fill the boot as then its better environmentally and then noone has to breathe the exhaust fumes as you fill the boot. That must be better for thier lungs.

Alternatively. Switch the car off as you fill the boot as then its better environmentally and then noone has to breathe the exhaust fumes as you fill the boot. That must be better for thier lungs.
That's not the issue in the slightest.
Pick someone up from the shop/station/whatever. Open the boot, put the stuff in, close, and then drive away.
Far better than switching off for ten seconds or so, then starting up again.

Mick.

If the switch continues to stick after cleaning the only option is a new rear door handle. Carp I know, but the switch can't be taken apart.

If you're not too worried about originality, it is possible to re-wire the microswitch connections into a waterproof momentary push switch (the one i used was from Amazon, think it was a pack of 5 for just over a quid). Extend the wires and fit the switch at one end of the handle on the underside.
Did this on one about 3 years ago and it's still working fine.

If you're not too worried about originality, it is possible to re-wire the microswitch connections into a waterproof momentary push switch (the one i used was from Amazon, think it was a pack of 5 for just over a quid). Extend the wires and fit the switch at one end of the handle on the underside.
Did this on one about 3 years ago and it's still working fine.
it's more work to run wires, but a similar switch by the driver's seat would be handy. I used to like the cable operated boot release on 1980's cars

We were in Tavistock today, and drove in our Yaris .......... and I took Baby Panda's key. The chap at Timpson's cut a new one. No immobiliser unit of course.

Home, and it works perfectly. It opens the central locking and also locks it centrally too, and it opens the boot when you insert the key.

Major issue with these older Pandas, is that the central locking/unlocking doesn't do anything with the boot lock. All it needs is for Fiat to have designed the thing in the first place that the central locking/unlocking worked with the boot, and that the boot had a button to open it ................ like every other car with central locking/unlocking we have ever owned.

We will keep the key inside the car somewhere, or the "non-driver" can have it so if she/he goes to load something, she/he can do it easily .................. just like every other car.

Meanwhile, the original spare key can hang on a hook at home, like we have always done. I have been owning and driving cars since 1972, and this 2004 Panda Mk3 boot lock situation is awful.

Mick.

The Panda has a solenoid operated lock on the rear door. The key unlocks it manually like the front door handles. The micro-switch "handle" unlocks it electrically. It's normally very reliable, but you can wire up a push button switch to do the job.

I come from an era owning Mk1 Cortinas/Granadas Mini's Triumph 1500's the list could go on and on, even to a couple of XJ's not forgeting a 1963 S Type
If I remember correctly nearly all these cars you had to open the boot with the key and you didn't think twice about it. My 2004 Dynamic's boot/ hatch whatever you want to call it, has to be opened by the ignition key which doesn't really bother me ( it is what it is ) I assume the older members like myself on here marvel at the simplicity of the steam engine,then the gas /diesel hit and miss engines from days gone by. Simplicity is the key here I think LEST TO GO WRONG. Although this is just probably just my outdated oppinion. :)

The Panda has a solenoid operated lock on the rear door. The key unlocks it manually like the front door handles. The micro-switch "handle" unlocks it electrically. It's normally very reliable, but you can wire up a push button switch to do the job.
The OP has a 2004 without solenoids in the boot or drivers door, and minus some of the wiring in the drivers door

It's a bit more than adding a switch to get it working in this case

My brother's 2004 1.2 Dynamic has central locking on all five doors.
Yes, same as the MK2 4x4 and cross, had central locking on hatch…if I remember rightly, if you pressed button at same time as locking, it overrides hatch ?!? Which is why, wehn missus backed into a low tree branch, and I changed hatch, it doesn’t work hatch and have a spare key to open wehn engines running

My brother's 2004 1.2 Dynamic has central locking on all five doors.
Didn't became standard until 2005/6

@Mick F has both original keys, both none remote @Yolanda striped their tailgate on their dynamic to find the microswitch missing

You could get it as an option extra which most did

But not every 2004/5 dynamic has remote locking.. Those that don't have missing parts and the tail gate can only be opened with a key

adding a switch is not a simple solution

Good morning guys.

Going back in time to all the cars I/we have ever owned, each and every one had locks on the doors and the boot. Manually operated.
When you got out in a carpark for instance, you had to lock the doors individually, and the boot lid too. Once it was all unlocked, all the key was needed for was for the ignition. You could get out and turn the boot lid handle or press the button or lift the latch to open it. All the same.

It wasn't until we bought a Clio, that we had central locking. It operated all five doors, and they all remained unlocked until you centrally locked them. All five doors. The same with the three cars we've had since ......... including the Fiat 500 Twinair.

This 2004 Panda is a very different beast with respect to the rear door. It doesn't matter now, as we have a separate key for it and we'll just have to get used to it.

Baby Panda used to belong to our daughter, and we saw her yesterday. She'd owned the car since brand new and the rear door situation drove her mad. She said it had never occurred to her to get basic key cut, and she almost kicked herself when I told her!

Mick.

I might follow your lead and get a spare blade cut for the boot :)
When airing the car out with the seats down I usually push this little lever on the latch (obviously dropping the seats and contorting through the boot isn't a sensible solution every time you want access).
In my idle moments I consider rigging up a simple lever pulled by a bicycle gear cable to prod the latch release.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    376.3 KB · Views: 31
Back