General Bit of fun - help me name my car

What should I name my car?

• Neitzsche / Nada

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • (Gucci) little piggy

• Black Number 1

• The Abarth (like I call it at the moment, very original)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's about time I moved my Abarth project (here) into the 'garage' section since I've pretty much done everything I need to for the moment on it, and there's very little chance it's original owner will recognize it, even if they do pop up. But I need a name for it since otherwise it'll be Abarth #195600 or whatever in the garage.

Normally naming a car comes quite easy to me (Scrapper / Scrapper2 for rescued Subarus, Poverty Spec for my last Legacy since it started out as the cheapest UK model, Rattus for a car with a particularly ratty interior when I got it, etc) or I can get some sort of a name from the car's "favorite" song; some tracks sound better in certain cars than they do in others, and some suit a car's feel as well, e.g. I ended up with a Capri called Leila (it's number plate had LLE in it, and a certain Eric Clapton song sounded rather good).

But I'm really struggling with the Abarth, I normally call it just "the Abarth" but that doesn't distinguish it much from all the other Abarths :D

I was thinking "Disaster Area" bearing in mind what condition the car was in when I got it, and bearing in mind it's all-black interior / exterior; to quote Douglas Adams (on the ship Zaphond Beeblebrox 'borrowed' from the plutonium rock band Disaster Area):

“It’s the wild colour scheme that freaks me,” said Zaphod whose love affair with this ship had lasted almost three minutes into the flight, “Every time you try to operate on of these weird black controls that are labelled in black on a black background, a little black light lights up black to let you know you’ve done it."

But that makes the car seem like, well, a disaster area :D

Song-wise Dandy Warhol's Neitzsche sounds great in the Abarth, but that's not much help either - "I want a god who stays dead, not plays dead". Er...

Only other option is calling it something to do with it's interior and a song which sounds OK in it. It's part 500 GQ edition inside (which shares some stuff with the Gucci edition) but "Gucci little piggy" (from Radiohead's Paranoid Android) or "Black Number 1" (Type O Negative amiably poking fun at a goth) aren't terribly nice either :D

I'm tending towards "Little black piggy" but there has to be something better, that just sounds plain daft!

Some pics to stir the creative juices...

7bSYk1.jpg

lhLmFl.jpg
fIUdmU.jpg

Last edited:
Ooh, just thought of another option - "little sunshine" after that air freshener which has been dangling incongruously from the rear view mirror ever since it's shattered remains were first dragged off the low loader; given the rest of the car's demeanor that has a certain irony to it :D

I thought all 500s were girly mobiles, arbarth or otherwise.... So needs a girly name.

I thought all 500s were girly mobiles, arbarth or otherwise.... So needs a girly name.

Thought you owned a 500.

Actually that's not as dumb as it sounds, I still don't know if I'd describe this car as 'male' or 'female' and Nyx (Greek goddess of darkness) is a nice, girly name, and strangely appropriate since I can't find the car in a dark car park...

Thought you owned a 500.
My daughter does, I just get to fix it, and service it, and cover any non-petrol running costs....
(actually, I have to fill it up sometimes too)

My daughter does, I just get to fix it, and service it, and cover any non-petrol running costs....
(actually, I have to fill it up sometimes too)

Which Fiat do you own then?

Actually I do quite like the idea of calling it Nyx (or maybe Nyxie) but that might be a trifle pretentious for a little black 500. Would have been a great rebrand for Lucas though, given they were known as the 'lord of darkness' in the 70s for the quality of their BL lighting components

Last edited:
Last fiat I owned was about 20 years ago, Tipo diesel

3 days to go and it's looking like I'll be driving a little black piggy, save me, someone! 🤣

(think I might carry on referring to it as "the Abarth" to my family, otherwise they'll think I've taken leave of my senses, even more than they do already...)

Back