Technical Reversing my drop?

Currently reading:
Technical Reversing my drop?

SchrodingersCar

Hi everyone,

I just picked up a used Abarth and I'm loving it so far, but unfortunately I'm not loving the ride quality. The previous owner installed the 500madness v-maxx coilovers ("autosport" variety), and the ride is just WAY too rough and low for my liking on these ****ty Chicago streets. I'm not really a diy guy, but I had a shop look the suspension over and they say the coilovers are already adjusted to their max height. So here's my question:

I'm considering swapping the suspension out for Koni yellows and H&R springs, as this seems to be the most "chill" option for ride comfort and height. Would this be worth the money? Or would I be looking at an almost as harsh ride anyway, since the car is still lowered an inch? Basically I don't want to blow all this money to find out the ride is not that different. I would even consider switch back to stock, but unfortunately finding an OEM suspension has proven to be at least twice as expensive so far.

I do like the looks of a MODERATE drop, but ride comfort is more important as this is my daily. Am I on the right track with koni/H&R?

clear.gif

Personally I am not a fan of coil overs etc. Apart from the looks.
I would try a friends standard wheels with normal profile tyres, The higher profile tyre absorbs road bumps much better as the tyre side walls flex more giving a better softer ride.
My opinion, other may differ.;)

Im also a believer in staying stock, but maybe you can let the tension off and adjust it softer rather than replacing with stock parts. The standard ride is shall we say.... 'firm' so you may be no worse off. The hard ride put me off an abarth when I bought my current Panda 4x4 which has a pretty good ride by any standards. I liked then power from its 180bhp but valued my teeth more than my desire for speed.

I have H&R springs on my 2020 Competizione and standard Koni FSD dampers, the H&R springs replaced the standard Eibach springs and to be honest there is no real difference other than maybe a 10mm drop all round. The ride is still rock hard.
I did notice the difference when I had a loan base model Abarth 595 T-Jet 145, when the car was in for a service last year. Suspension was much more forgiving, but obviously not as sharp through the bends.

Back