Technical Bilstein front shocks - howto?

Currently reading:
Technical Bilstein front shocks - howto?

woj

Established member
Hi,

Actually I have only one important question that really bothers me, the rest I will figure out on the way. Original fiat shocks have this rubber thing on top of the bottom shock strut. Bilsteins don't have that. Does this mean I mount the spring directly on the strut? (I guess yes, but please assure me :confused:)

The other thing would be the tool that I am supposed to use to hold the thing right under the top nipple: how does the damn thing look like and how is it called...

Thanks in advance,

Woj

I used a pair of Stilsons to hold it and undid the nut as normal!

As for the rubber bit? you mean the bump stop?, you have to swop them over onto the new shock!

And if you mean the protector rubber than protects the stem of the shock, they can be purchased from Fiat!

Adam

No I don't mean the bump stop. I mean the thing that is on the bottom of the spring. I asked in Fiat and they don't sell that separately, it's part of the shock.

And what the hell are Stilsons (my Eng. fails me again)? Anybody got a picture?

/Woj

And one more: how to safely take off the spring without the tool to press the spring down?

/Woj

Last edited:
OK, you can forget it. I read the lowering guide and figured everything out :slayer: Will see tomorrow if I am worthy :D /Woj

Yes, I know that, thanks. I was trying to figure out how to do it without spring compressor. I guess I can:

1. Put the jack under the wish-bone/suspension.

2. Take off the top nut.

3. Lower gently the jack.

That should work for dismounting the whole thing. Whole another question is whether I can put it back (but Bilstein's are nice - they stick up, they don't fall down). What do you recon...

/Woj

I wouldnt do it without spring compressors as the spring is not under a little bit of pressure, if it slips it will take ur head off! :eek:

Silsons are a tool which looks like this.......

stilson.jpg

Great for holding that bit at the top!

Adam

Point taken and will do it the safe way, although I am still convinced it can be done safely by not removing the three small screws and using the car as the force to hold down the spring and wheel arch as a protection against jumping springs...

And of cource I knew of Stilsons I just didn't know they were called Stilsons :D

Thanks mate!

/Woj

woj said:
although I am still convinced it can be done safely by not removing the three small screws and using the car as the force to hold down the spring and wheel arch as a protection against jumping springs...

There's too much of a chance of things slipping and causing damage. Its better to be safe than sorry with stuff like this (y)

woj said:
Point taken and will do it the safe way, although I am still convinced it can be done safely by not removing the three small screws and using the car as the force to hold down the spring and wheel arch as a protection against jumping springs...

Thanks mate!

/Woj

It won't work undoing the top mount on the car. Once the spring is extended you cannot get bottom of the strut out of the upright and you will be competely stuck, needing to drop the wishbone off. I have rescued someone who did just as you propose.

Cheers

D

@ woj:

try a local car shop ( a bovag one or something like that just a local independent car shop)
and see if they will give you the tool needed to compress the springs.
Or even better go to a "do it your own car shop" we have them over here (eindhoven) they will have the tools there, wich you can rent, I bet there is one in nijmegen aswell..(y)

Please do not try it with out the coil compresion tool, and even then watch out, you will not be the first one with a fairly big hole in a wall, with a shock sticking out of it, and a big red head..:bang:

Thanks guys. I got myself the compression tool, everything went smooth apart from the fact that I managed to mess up the top nut totally and the shock thread slightly. I used the torque wrench and all, still... This is how it looks like:

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

p3.jpg

Is it usable? Help... And give me a hug...

And, I know there are workshops for rent, there is one in Arnhem, I visited it twice already.

indeed there are tools to fix that, I got one in me work tool box, but that don't help you.
But i wont risk to leave it like that and just bolting on the nut..

OK, so this is where I stand. I was not able to get my hands on a proper thread die (yet). I used a spare nut to to that (very gently). Then I did manage to screw on a nut at about 50Nm (my manual says 88Nm and this is what I did initially, but that, as you know already messed the thread up). Then I put one more nut on top of everything just to make sure it holds. Next thing I am going to do is to go to that shop in Germany where I bought the shocks and complain, because I did everything by the book (the other shock worked fine and it was the first one that I did, so something is not right here). In case bilsteins are supposed to be screwed on with less tourque some instruction should say that, but none was attached.
(BTW, what torque would you use?).

BTW, the new shocks rock :slayer:

/Woj

I have to admit when doing damper top mounts I used the british torque of 'FT'.

I am sure there is a similar Dutch term meaning 'incredibly tight', in fact if I put the full british version here you would only see a line of ****

Cheers

D

Back