Technical Seicento windscreen wash front/rear

Currently reading:
Technical Seicento windscreen wash front/rear

HenryW15

Hi,

I am new to the Fiat world having in the past few weeks bought a 2000 'X'-reg Seicento SX.

It's developed a small fault and I'd appreciate any guidance in tracking it.

Every time I pull the wiper stalk to wash the front windscreen it activates the washer jets on the rear screen. If I use the stalk to do the real action for rear windscreen wash it does the same.

It seems to have come on after a recent long drive in the rain, during which I was using the front and rear wipers a lot. I wonder if I have worn the contacts where the stalk plugs in...

I'm reasonably handy with mechanics and electricals but I'm loathe to start taking the steering wheel apart (I hate working around airbags) before I can get a good idea as to what might have gone wrong.

Thanks.

The Seicento uses the same pump for both the windscreen wash and the rear window wash.
It spins one way for the front and the opposite way for the rear by reversing the polarity of the feed.
I think you'll need to take the wheelarch liner off to get to it, but it will be worth testing the pump to see if it works both ways.
Also, with a test meter on the pump feed you'll be able to check if the stalk is sending the same polarity for both or if it changes front / rear.

The Seicento uses the same pump for both the windscreen wash and the rear window wash.
It spins one way for the front and the opposite way for the rear by reversing the polarity of the feed.
I think you'll need to take the wheelarch liner off to get to it, but it will be worth testing the pump to see if it works both ways.
Also, with a test meter on the pump feed you'll be able to check if the stalk is sending the same polarity for both or if it changes front / rear.
That's incredibly helpful, thank you. I'll give it a try.

Back