Bike license?

Currently reading:
Bike license?

Yazza54

Established member
Was wondering if there are any bikers on here.... I has a query!

I've never had a bike before, couple of mates had scooters at 16 but that never appealed to me. Always raced karts from being 8 - 17 then started driving and didn't really have enough time for it anymore with starting work etc.

Basically I have a major lack of 2 stroke in my life now! I really miss them, and always liked bikes but never wanted a scooter.

At 19 now how would I go about being able to ride a little two stoke bike, like a rs125 or a cagiva mito 125? Have I made it harder for myself by never having a scooter or at 19 would something like a rs or a mito 125 be suitable as a first time learner bike??

I don't know much about bike licenses etc so some info would be great!:eek:

Last edited:
Two stroke sports bikes are :slayer: My last bike was a Yamaha RD 350 YPVS 2 stroke twin. Wished I'd never sold it now :(

If you've never had much experience of bike riding be very wary of going from a car to a sports 125, especially if it's unrestricted (it will be illegal on 'L' plates if so) as they are surprisingly quick and can can catch out the inexperienced. Also, you may have been accustomed to the stability of a car along with luxuries such as anti-lock brakes and traction control. A small bike will have none of these and can be unforgiving in the wrong hands.

Might be worth getting some training just to be on the safe side? I'd also suggest waiting for the summer as it's not a good time of year to start learning on a bike with wet and greasy roads and the dark cold nights!

is the rs125 a geared bike?

If so you wont have lost out on much scooter wise, all the modern ones are auto

your driving licence covers bikes up to 125cc or restircted to 11kw power output so in theroy you can buy pretty much any bike you want and restrict it

you just need to get a CBT wich wont expire coz you got a car licence and slap L plates on your bike

you just need to get a CBT wich wont expire coz you got a car licence and slap L plates on your bike

thats wrong

a CBT expires after 2 years regardless of what liscence you hold, you dont need a CBT once bike liscence has been obtained

And if you hold a car liscence you dont need to have L plates

I've been thinking of getting a bike (Kinda like the look of the RS125).

Am I right in thinking, that I can get a 125cc once I've passed my CBT? I have a full driving license for 2 years if that makes any difference.

I was after either a Cagiva Mito 125 or a RS125 Aprilia, although I think the mito is a much nicer bike. I have ridden bikes before just not on the road and to be honest I've an idea how fast they will be so that won't be a shock, I raced 125 ICC Gearbox Karts for 2 years kicking out 45bhp and weighing a fair bit less than any 125cc sports bike, so de-restricted or not I don't think it'll shock me! I think it's more the torque I'd struggle getting used to on a bike so thats why I wanted a 2 stroke, plus the fact I just love them in general.

So at my age I could go straight onto a Mito or Rs125 with a CBT?

Thanks for the help :)

I was after either a Cagiva Mito 125 or a RS125 Aprilia, although I think the mito is a much nicer bike. I have ridden bikes before just not on the road and to be honest I've an idea how fast they will be so that won't be a shock, I raced 125 ICC Gearbox Karts for 2 years kicking out 45bhp and weighing a fair bit less than any 125cc sports bike, so de-restricted or not I don't think it'll shock me! I think it's more the torque I'd struggle getting used to on a bike so thats why I wanted a 2 stroke, plus the fact I just love them in general.

yeh you can, it's shouldn't be more than 12 or 14bhp, most de rezzed are kicking over 25bhp easily, i don't know anyone that has a 2 stroke sports bike and keeps it restricted though

proballey an unnessecary warning but be carefull of the weather in these times of the year specially if your learning on the roads for the first time, things like drain covers can eb a death trap and then theres the general idiots that are on the road

I was after either a Cagiva Mito 125 or a RS125 Aprilia, although I think the mito is a much nicer bike. I have ridden bikes before just not on the road and to be honest I've an idea how fast they will be so that won't be a shock, I raced 125 ICC Gearbox Karts for 2 years kicking out 45bhp and weighing a fair bit less than any 125cc sports bike, so de-restricted or not I don't think it'll shock me!

It's not the speed that will necessarily shock, more the instability and unforgiving nature of two wheels over four. A handful of throttle, wet roads and rear wheel drive can quickly have you headbutting the road :eek:

I think it's more the torque I'd struggle getting used to on a bike so thats why I wanted a 2 stroke, plus the fact I just love them in general.

Two strokes have POWERBANDS, especially sports two strokes :slayer: Constant torque is much easier to control than a powerband that comes in hard at 6 - 7K, which is why a peaky two stroke can catch out the unwary. In restricted form a 125 will be quite manageable, but unrestricted you'll likely have an all or nothing powerband. Get used to a restricted 2 stroke for a few months first before contemplating de-restricting it. Don't forget the legality issues also...

If it's restricted to approx. 12 - 13 bhp - yes. (y)

It's not the speed that will necessarily shock, more the instability and unforgiving nature of two wheels over four. A handful of throttle, wet roads and rear wheel drive can quickly have you headbutting the road :eek:

Two strokes have POWERBANDS, especially sports two strokes :slayer: Constant torque is much easier to control than a powerband that comes in hard at 6 - 7K, which is why a peaky two stroke can catch out the unwary. In restricted form a 125 will be quite manageable, but unrestricted you'll likely have an all or nothing powerband. Get used to a restricted 2 stroke for a few months first before contemplating de-restricting it. Don't forget the legality issues also...

If it's restricted to approx. 12 - 13 bhp - yes. (y)

I'm more than aware two strokes have powerbands, having raced them for 10 years..I understand the engines and know how to use them in terms of power delivery etc, and build them (although theres not really much to them). To be honest I just wanted another two stroke in my life, really not bothered at the moment about what else is about. Obviously it'd take time to get used to it with the low levels of grip etc, but I am aware of all this. I just wanted to know the legalities of it all as I don't have any previous experience with bikes on the road. But thanks for the advice nonetheless.

Last edited:
You should'nt be worried about what bike your getting or how fast or not it is. Riding a geared bike is nothing like a moped or a car, it's much harder, there's so much more to think about. As i'm sure you know, most 125's are small un-noticeable bikes and you'll just get kncked about by cars all day long. If your going to ride a bike your best off getting your CBT straight away, and getting lessons straight away and trying to pass your bike test, they teach you things youdont learn in a car and if you dont do it, you'll pay the price coz you'll just get hit. Trust me i know, i'm speaking from experience (unfortunately)

hmm yeah, i got hit on my 50cc geared bike, some d!ck tried to beat me accross a roundabout, most bike accidents are the fault of the car driver, bike lessons can't help this, nothing i learnt in my bike lessons or going through my test taught me anything i could use to be safer, it was just the stuff to please the examiner and pass to ride a bigger bike.

Back