Racing License

Currently reading:
Racing License

bonkersbassist

Fight off your demons
Has anyone done their National B License? Im thinking about doing it and trying to get into motorsport in some way, shape or form. I know you have to buy the initial pack from the MSA but does any know how much it is to sit the test (preferably with a days intensive tuition).

I once met a guy called Ronnie Smith, a bike racer and journalist, perhaps most famous for his Magic Roundabout crash helmet. He told me about when he started racing and had three or four jobs, it sounded like at times he was working 23 hours a day. It taught me that if you want something enough you'll find a way to pay for it.
If you want to go racing and are prepared to make sacrifices and work hard then go for it. My parents told me it was too expensive and I couldn't afford it so I never tried.
I don't know who said it but there is a quote about it being better to regret things you've done than to regret things you haven't done.

I think you may have to look at what you want to get out of the racing. Making it your hobby or mounting an assault on the 2018 F1 World Championship. If it's the former then maybe think about going down the Top Gear route and having a bash at Rally Cross for which you'll need a reasonable sized wedge. Saloons, Ginettas or Porsche Cup you'll be wanting a lot of money. If you fancy living in Monaco and having a pop star girlfriend while earning your living at 180mph, then you'll need a **** of a lot of money.

Almost all the motor racing greats have come from a fairly wealthy background, in the UK many had motor trade backgrounds. That route is pretty much blocked now as most major motoring groups are corporate based. Jackie Stewart's family had a car dealership and he and his father built up quite a few contacts among the Gentleman Racers of the day and the Clay Pigeon shooters and land owners that he met while becoming a champion shooter.

Frank Sytner used his money from the motor trade to allow him to go racing and although he was quite talented (as well as being pretty ruthless) he never attained the higher reaches of motor sport.

If you want a hobby, then take your mates along to do some spannering while you impress a few girls as you mince around in your racing overalls and boots.

I'll come and cheer you on.

Last edited:
I was thinking of the rallycross route. Like you said, it's gunna be a hobby I'm not looking to become renowned in Motorsport. However I think you need a license for some of the rallycross races.

I think it's the National B type licence you'll be needing for that. In circuit racing I think you still need to have a yellow plate on the back with a black X on it to denote you're a novice but I'm not sure about Rally Cross. The plate is to warn anyone coming up behind to overtake that you might be a bit (lot?) unpredictable.

If you have a go at the circuits then you (used to anyway) get a number of paddock passes which you can use to encourage some useful friends to come along. You'll need a trailer to carry the race car on. A motor home is also very useful in order to a) pull the trailer, b) make the sausage/bacon/sausage&bacon /sausage and egg/bacon and egg/sausage bacon and egg sarnies * in. Oh and don't forget a kettle, coffee and tea, c) a fridge to keep the milk and food as well as (in the words of Clarkson) refreshing beverages, d) to hang an awning from in order to shelter from the inevitable rain while you replace the clutch 15 minutes before the warm up lap and e) somewhere to entertain the bevvy of attractive, scantily clad young women who will doubtless flock to offer themselves up to the god of motor racing..............actually that last one might be more of a personal fantasy than a realistic probability, but, what the hell, feel free to use any of my middle aged fantasies you like.

Ah, but not that one.

* Delete as applicable.

Last edited:
You don't need the full licence to start. You can get a "non-racing national B"
About £50 from the MSA, then you can start in sprint events, rally cross and hill climbs.

This way you can get a taste for motorsport without the full commitment of having to renew your full licence with medical. However, for club level you need the full national B or other licence (dependant on which motorsport your doing) for most of the events.

Otherwise, track days are open for drivers with just a full drivers licence.

http://www.msauk.org/ - link to the MSA website for the UK.
The website also gives links to clubs with do various events. Some do taster sessions which you can put your name down for.

hope this helps.(y)

There's plenty you can do with just a club membership and a standard car e.g. autotesting, production car trails.

Motorsport can be really expensive, but a lot of it is down to how expensive you make it.

Back