Bike license?

Currently reading:
Bike license?

just need a CBT mate, can't really fail it as it's not really a test, you'd have to be retarted to get denied a certificate, costs £100 ish

That's a pretty bullish statement. CBT isn't a test but it's easily possible to fail. I recently came into motorcycle ownership and having never ridden any form of motorised bike before found the CBT pretty daunting. You have about 2 hours of yard work, then 2 hours on the road, doing an assortment of driving, starting-stopping, u-turns and emergency stops. Cock these up or make a dangerous maneuver and you will be denied your certificate.

Once you get through the CBT it's just about confidence building on the road, gets a lot easier once you've done it a bit for yourself. Still building up experience but can't wait to start my direct access training.

most bike accidents are the fault of the car driver, bike lessons can't help this, nothing i learnt in my bike lessons or going through my test taught me anything i could use to be safer, it was just the stuff to please the examiner and pass to ride a bigger bike.

This couldn't be more wrong. A lot of motorcycle accidents are the fault of the driver simply because as a motorcyclist you're harder to see. But equally, a lot of motorcycle accidents are caused by the motorcyclist using excessive speed, not making the correct observations, not maintaining a safe distance, filtering through traffic or simply losing control of the motorcycle and having an off.

If you weren't able to learn anything from your lessons which makes you a safer motorcyclist you must be gifted; Use of correct lifesavers, shoulder checks learning how accidents commonly take place and what to look out for should all make you a safer rider. The swerve test sees a high failure rate because a majority are not proficient at avoiding obstacles or confident enough with their bike to get through it.

Just as an FYI if you're still thinking about getting a bike. I was in the exact same situation, no experience of bikes before. Used to go-kart when I was a kid too actually. I've spent around £2k for the bike, all the equipment, CBT and insurance. I'm considering starting the DAS soon but not right away. Have my CBT and L-plates and loving it. Disappointed by the speed of the 125 though, so if you're old enough to drive 500cc I would recommend probably going straight for the full licence. At the same time riding a 125 allows you to gain experience so you don't kill yourself. Even with L-plates I've not had any bad experiences on the road, most road users are courteous, the occassional driver will get a little closer than I would like but it's probably a perception issue.

Overall, motorcycling would be more fun on a bigger bike out on the weekends and enjoying the speed element. As a commuter vehicle it's pretty pointless, it takes so long to get dressed into the kit and pack your work clothes separately then get changed once you're at work that it's pretty pointless. Plus locking the bike up if you go anywhere with it. But they're good fun.

Last edited:
I first started riding 'bikes when I was 17 in 1974, Stop sniggering at the back! I had a series of Kwak 2-strokes starting with a S1 250, followed by a
S2 350 then a H1 500. Until that is my head was turned by.....a woman!! She was right of course there are certain things that are more comfortable in a car.

Where was I? Oh yes, I didn't actually pass a bike test at the time so it was 2001 when I eventually did. Having been a Driving Instructor I visited quite a few training establishments and spoke to staff and the Mangers. I finally went with a firm called Moto Technique in Dantzic St in Manchester. There were no smooth sales pitches and I got the clear idea that Andy the bloke in charge of training seemed to be interested in one thing only; teaching his clients to ride well and safely. During training sessions I learnt about counter-steering which is something you wouldn't normally get at that stage of the game.

The other thing is that they were Aprilia dealers until they gave the franchise up a few years ago so there's not much about RS125s they don't know.

Might be worth speaking to them.

http://www.moto-technique.co.uk/

Back