Think bike and bikers think

Currently reading:
Think bike and bikers think

thanks MEP,
wasn't sure,

saw no reason to think "Must'nt go there"

seen poor driving all over,
probably worst was on M1 in Yorks,
car with snapped propshaft being towed " bumper-to-bumper" with the roped up propshaft dragging head-first along tarmac..all-set to "pole-vault" at 60MPH,

IT didn't -but somebody saw the sparks + potential for carnage + did emergency stop.., in lane 3 ( 5'o clock rush hour)..!!

needless to say - pile-up ensued,
only too easy to become involved in somebody else's accident,

Charlie

I think this thread is getting hung up on the semantics of bikers versus cars.

The video back at the beginning of the thread shows two sides to a story both of which contributed to a death

On one side we have a car driver who pulled into the path of a biker because he didn't see him

On the other side we have a biker riding well in excess of the speed limits and riding dangerously.

Change the car in this scenario for a large wild animal, then who is to blame? The resulting accident would still a skyward flying biker most likely end up in rose cottage

It really doesn't take facts and figures to show why bikers are more likely to get hurt, all their squishy bits are protected by only a thin layer of leather and the occasional piece of carbon fibre "armour" a car driver on the other hand has there nice warm comfortable tin box to protect them.

Pedestrians although not protected like bikers also aren't doing 100mph

So if something is going to happen and someone is going to get hurt that person is going to be the biker, so it's really the bikers who need to be more careful, more aware and set the example, if every biker was the model of how one should navigate the roads of Britain, then every time an accident like this happens the immediate reaction from the general public wouldn't be 'silly bikers need to be more careful'

Of the RTCs I've been directly involved with over the years which have ended in a fatality (which isn't that many) all but one where bikers, and in every one of those cases the biker had done something to contribute to the accident, that's not to say it was the bikers 100% total fault, but they had done or been doing something which had lead to the accident happening.

I think you've got a point about the semantics, and as I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I tend to be quite defensive in my riding, as I am when driving a car as well. Perhaps it's that I know that an incident can occur in a heartbeat and that the closer you are when it happens the less you can do about it, regardless of what kind of vehicle you're in or on.

I remember seeing a road safety bloke on television once who said that the best way to cut down on collisions would be to remove all the airbags, ABS and the like and stick a big steel spike in the centre of the steering wheel. Not entirely sure about that somehow, but there was a point to his comment, in as much as the safer we feel the more inclined we are to take risks. It could also be that the more equipment we have in a car the more likely we are to not see a hazard because we're concentrating on other things.

Having said that, in the video, David who didn't have any gadgets, made a big mistake (no, it wasn't riding a motorcycle) which was that he didn't see, or at least perceive, the risk from the Clio in the right turn lane. Although he was riding fast, his overtakes seemed safe, but personally, once I'd seen the Renault I'd have throttled off, lifted my head and covered the brake lever. David either didn't see the car or didn't think it would turn. But, as was mentioned in one of the attached videos that this one leads you into, had he been travelling slower but closer to the junction he could still have been killed.

I've had another look at the video and (ironically, given my earlier post about the BTP bike cop) it looks as if he may have been riding one of the aforementioned Yamaha FJR 1300s. Not only that, but it appears to have been white or silver and David seems to have been wearing a red helmet.

Last edited:
Back