Technical Battery charging

Currently reading:
Technical Battery charging

ericrw

I`m wanting to use my home battery charger but I`m not too sure if I should disconnect the Stop/Start system, from the car`s battery. If so, how do I do it ?

The stop/start system is not a module you can unplug, rather it is part of the software built into the ECU that controls the engine.

Whenever charging the car battery you should always disconnect the earth terminal, so that the battery is effectively removed from the vehicle. Charging is effected by pushing current the opposite way into the battery to reverse the chemical process that creates the power from the battery. Most electronic components and the alternator don't like this and often will not tolerate it.

If you are leaving the battery in the car while charging, ideally you should also leave the bonnet open to allow any gases to escape. During charging some hydrogen gas may be given off, which is explosive. So before disconnecting the charger, switch it off and allow any gases to blow away. Disconnecting the charger leads and reconnecting the battery earth lead may cause a spark, not a good idea if the hydrogen is still loitering.

Charging the battery should not normally be necessary, unless you've left it unused for over a month. If you are using the car regularly, you need to fix the charging fault, not just charge the battery.

The stop/start system is not a module you can unplug, rather it is part of the software built into the ECU that controls the engine.

Whenever charging the car battery you should always disconnect the earth terminal, so that the battery is effectively removed from the vehicle. Charging is effected by pushing current the opposite way into the battery to reverse the chemical process that creates the power from the battery. Most electronic components and the alternator don't like this and often will not tolerate it.

If you are leaving the battery in the car while charging, ideally you should also leave the bonnet open to allow any gases to escape. During charging some hydrogen gas may be given off, which is explosive. So before disconnecting the charger, switch it off and allow any gases to blow away. Disconnecting the charger leads and reconnecting the battery earth lead may cause a spark, not a good idea if the hydrogen is still loitering.

Charging the battery should not normally be necessary, unless you've left it unused for over a month. If you are using the car regularly, you need to fix the charging fault, not just charge the battery.
Thanks for your prompt reply Nigel; will take heed !!

I beg to differ :D

On top of the battery, there is a Bosch module and this monitors the state of the battery for the S/S. Unclipping it will prevent the start stop from working, and will also flag up an error on the dash.

Back