Audio from PC

Currently reading:
Audio from PC

psychofox

Legend
Not sure if this is the right place for my question, but
I currently have the audio from my PC connected to my TV, my surround sound amp, the PC speakers, and a pair of headphones all via splitters (I think there is about four used, this was the only way I could think of doing it at the time). It goes: splitter to headphones and splitter, then that to PC speakers and a splitter, then that to TV and splitter, etc. rinse, repeat....
This all works fine except when I need to get to the back of my PC, sometimes a cable will be pulled out, etc, it is a mess, and lately I have noticed that sometimes I have to fiddle about with the connections to get the sound working propery.

Is there an easier way to do this 'ahem' properly? Is there such a thing as an audio router?

I think the problem with the most off-the-shelf splitters is that they're mono, so you lose a lot of otherwise good signal. I've just had a quick look at Maplin and I can't see anything that fits your problem, unless you want to buy all the components and build it yourself (perfectly do-able by the look of it).

External sound cards im sure is what you want but they are expensive.
I dont know much about audio output of computers so it will be interesting to see peoples replies.

I have to admit, I'm a little surprised your PC only has one output, most these days will have at least green (front), black (back) and a front panel connection (also green) for headphones (as well as of course pink for your mic and blue for line in). I think mine also has orange for side and one other for a sub but I only have the front speakers connected atm.

Actually, maybe it does.
Its a Creative Audigy 2. I have a Creative front panel for it but I cannot for the life of me make the damn thing work (ironically i got it to make the headphones connect to the front). It is connected internally to the soundcard via a floppy drive cable. I have read on other forums/google searching that it should be compatable, i can hear a buzzing sound when headphones are connected to it, but thats it.

The plugs/sockets at the front of the case normally have a cable coming out of the back of them so why you'd need to use a floppy drive cable I've got no idea. I've noticed in Win7 though you have to tell Windows what output you want to use - front speaker/headphones/front+rear etc so it might be worth checking in your control panel for that. Other than that, RTFM for the soundcard and see if any of the outputs can be used for outputting to other sources :)

The plugs/sockets at the front of the case normally have a cable coming out of the back of them so why you'd need to use a floppy drive cable I've got no idea.

Its what the manual says, otherwise there is no connection between the front I/O port and the soundcard.

Didnt realise you could change the other ports, I thought they were set to L R Front Rear. Will take a look.

I think the problem with the most off-the-shelf splitters is that they're mono, so you lose a lot of otherwise good signal. I've just had a quick look at Maplin and I can't see anything that fits your problem, unless you want to buy all the components and build it yourself (perfectly do-able by the look of it).

Really? how?

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Maplin do a lot of components - plugs, sockets etc - so if I needed to build one I'd get a single 3.5mm stereo jack plug and 3xsockets, a small enclosure to contain all the wiring and a few connecting blocks. The sockets/plugs should come with details of what connects where so just split the relevant wires off and job should be a good'un. Difficult to explain and if I was at home I'd knock up a wee picture to illustrate ;)

Maplin do a lot of components - plugs, sockets etc - so if I needed to build one I'd get a single 3.5mm stereo jack plug and 3xsockets, a small enclosure to contain all the wiring and a few connecting blocks. The sockets/plugs should come with details of what connects where so just split the relevant wires off and job should be a good'un. Difficult to explain and if I was at home I'd knock up a wee picture to illustrate ;)

This sounds like fun
Do you mind doing the picture when you get home?

Crap, sorry, forgot to make up the picture - it'd be pretty crude if I'm honest but if you insist I'll do it tonight. I will admit though, ben's idea of RCA's might actually be your best option...

No worries, thats for the idea though. I think I will go with Ben's idea, seems easier. Although I do like the idea of building one myself :chin:

Back