Technical Armrest Retrofit

Currently reading:
Technical Armrest Retrofit

Rich

Former FIAT Obsessive
Hey All

As many of you know, I like to play around with my car, as I did with my Stilo. When I took delivery of the Bravo, one of the first things I noticed was the awful centre console top, and after noting the armrest on the Dynamic models, I wanted one (Sport models with leather get one too!).

So I have ordered the parts and am going to retrofit. I shall turn this into a guide with pictures when I get time, but the basis is:

Removal of old unit
1. Remove the upper rubber pad (the small one) by using something thin like a flat knife or credit card to lift the edge. Undo the two black bolts underneath it.
2. Remove the rear airvent by gently and evenly pulling at it towards the back of the car.

Purchase new parts
You will need:
  • The updated console trim - 71748818 (£65, backordered)
  • The various locking pins and the handle (1 of each required) - 71748819 (£3, backorderd), 71748981 (£4, backordered), 71748982 (£3, backordered)
  • The top cover. Now, you can order almost any fabric, and the logical choice for me would have been red sail (i.e. whats on the doors). However, looking how the bravo does it, and indeed the Stilo did it, it uses the material from the outer edge of the seat backs, as well as the seat squab sides. This in mine is black. I realised that black would suit it far more than red too (red cloth on top of a black console would stand out too much), so I went for black. However, the choice is yours. The part number is 71748827, and it costs £60.

Once I get all the parts, I'll update with how to assemble it all.

Hey All

As many of you know, I like to play around with my car, as I did with my Stilo. When I took delivery of the Bravo, one of the first things I noticed was the awful centre console top, and after noting the armrest on the Dynamic models, I wanted one (Sport models with leather get one too!).

So I have ordered the parts and am going to retrofit. I shall turn this into a guide with pictures when I get time, but the basis is:

Removal of old unit
1. Remove the upper rubber pad (the small one) by using something thin like a flat knife or credit card to lift the edge. Undo the two black bolts underneath it.
2. Remove the rear air vent by gently and evenly pulling at it to wards the back of the car.

Purchase new parts
You will need:
  • The updated console trim - 71748818 (£65, back ordered)
  • The various locking pins and the handle (1 of each required) - 71748819 (£3, backorderd), 71748981 (£4, back ordered), 71748982 (£3, back ordered)
  • The top cover. Now, you can order almost any fabric, and the logical choice for me would have been red sail (i.e. whats on the doors). However, looking how the bravo does it, and indeed the Stilo did it, it uses the material from the outer edge of the seat backs, as well as the seat squab sides. This in mine is black. I realised that black would suit it far more than red too (red cloth on top of a black console would stand out too much), so I went for black. However, the choice is yours. The part number is 71748827, and it costs £60.
Once I get all the parts, I'll update with how to assemble it all.

Once I'm a bit more flush i think i will order the armrest same colour and do what you have done Rich, Why an earth they didn't put the armrest as standard throughout the range seems silly to me, the bit that is there already is horrible no use at all really and to low to rest your arm down.
Maybe something they will change to standard as time goes on no doubt.
Many thanks for the part numbers and price.(y)

After a lot of fuss and me nearly getting banned from my FIAT dealer due to an impending vocal outburst, I've got everything I've ordered except the fabric cover (the actual armrest has a production date sticker of 26/10/2007 - not bad seeing as it arrived last week!).

I have, however, realised that you need more parts than this - when I find them on ePER I shall let you know!

Update: Due to an error on the parts diagram, I've found out (to my expense :p) that you don't need to order 71748981 or 71749892, as they come with the main console.

However, you do need to order 735440709 (x1) and 51810310 (x1) as this is the drawer that "goes down the hole" under the armrest.

To make it easy, order the following:
  • 71748818 x1 (armrest)
  • xxxxxxxx x1 (fabric top, in my case 71748827)
  • 71748819 x1, locking pin to secure fabric top to armrest
  • 735440709 x1 ("drawer" to go inside centre console)
  • 51810310 x1 (screw for above)

Again, full fitting instructions will be posted once I get my bits!

Last edited:
Ok, the whole thing is fitted now, there was an extra bit of plastic I needed to cover the fittings which, unbelievably was instock in the UK! (unlike my electric window switch I've been waiting 3 weeks for!!!).

All fitted now, perfectly, and I love it!

Guide to follow - just without pictures I'm afraid!

Last edited:
Hi Rich,

Have just ordered my bravo (1.9 mjet sport, maserati blue, ESR, ERW, dual climate, parking sensors and auto lights / wipers). I too found the lack of an armrest disappointing. While I'm waiting for delivery, I might as well order the parts for this conversion.

When you get a chance, can you post the part number for the 'extra bit of plastic I needed to cover the fittings which, unbelievably was instock in the UK!' and the cost of the "drawer" to go inside centre console (735440709).

The promised guide would be great as well...

BTW does this give you the 'chilled compartment' that you get on the dynamic or is it just the armrest?

Cheers,

(also) Rich

Hey Rich (great name!)

Yeah I shall post the guide soon with parts and prices - maybe tomorrow. There's another part, some ducting, that I need to look into to give you the "conditioned food box", and don't want to post anything until I know what it does :).

Watch this space.

Thanks Rich...

I notice you're in Torquay - I work in Paignton - what are the dealers like up there as I've not been blown over by the Plymouth dealer...

Well they haven't impressed us recently I'm afraid and their parts guy . . . well, he's got a severe attitude problem, and one of their mechanics wanted to knock him out! He charged us for my Bravo's recall parts and then refused to refund my sister-in-law (who lives in Tiverton) until after the weekend!!

Well they haven't impressed us recently I'm afraid and their parts guy . . . well, he's got a severe attitude problem, and one of their mechanics wanted to knock him out! He charged us for my Bravo's recall parts and then refused to refund my sister-in-law (who lives in Tiverton) until after the weekend!!

Charged you for all the recall parts :eek:, they should all be done free as was done on my one.

Charged you for all the recall parts :eek:, they should all be done free as was done on my one.

They were done for free eventually - he tried to blame me, citing the reason as I'd "supplied him the part numbers so I just ordered it, hence you pay for it" - since when did I have access to FIAT's online service bulletins?

Same with the Stilo, they said that I'd diagnosed the fault, hence we were liable for the full throttle body replacement charge and no possibility of a refund, even though I'd paid them £60 for their DET to use the Examiner to find the problem. So, obviously they think I'm better than the Examiner, their DET, FIAT Technical . . . Rock on :D.

Can I just check, the dealer we are talking about is the Fiat dealer on the Brixham Road (not sure if we are allowed to name and shame here:eek:)? If it is, that's a pity 'cos it's really handy for where I work (literally at the end of the road) and was hoping for some ultra convenient servicing...

Brixham Road is their sales, and the guys in there are great. Their service is off Aspen Way on Yalberton Industrial Estate.

Back