Technical Anti roll bar linkage/ suspension arm MOT advisories

Currently reading:
Technical Anti roll bar linkage/ suspension arm MOT advisories

My MOT advisories are for: Anti Roll Bar linkage ball joint has slight play offside front.
Suspension arm pin/bush worn but not excessive movement naearside front

Would the advice on here be to change both sides of each together, rather than just offside and nearside?
Any advice gratefully received.
Richard

I tend to replace both sides on any suspension component, except maybe ball joints IF they appear (solid, no cracks, not gone hard and loose) and test (lever up/down side to side), no knocking etc to be sound as I’ve often found n/s ones don’t last as well as offside ones…I know, heresy, but I’ve replaced n/s ones twice or more times before o/s ones have gone

Id test them myself. I be sprised if they need doing yet.

Advorsory are subjective. And vary from one Mot station to another. If there's a abnormal play it should fail.

Doing it yourself or paying a garage

Was it an advisory on the last Mot?

Hi Koalar
Yes, advisory on last MOT.
Trouble is I’m not an auto engineer, so not quite sure what is, or is not, an allowable tolerance.
If I leave it till next MOT and it fails I’ m stuck with the garage doing the job, or paying for retest.
I’ d rather preempt it and get it done, I have till next December, so no rush.
The biggest problem I find iin doing jobs like this is obtaining the correct items, for instance with this, is it new ball joints or complete assemblies. For the suspension arm it looks like you can only buy the whole arm with bushes fitted ?
Richard

Do a Google search for parts, lots of suppliers will come up. Shop4parts/ Euro car parts/ eBay put your reg Number in and away you go. Regarding suspension parts you mentioned your better buying a complete arm rather than trying to replace individual bushes etc. Lots of advice on this forum from people more clued up than me on the model. (y)

Anti Roll Bar linkage

Come as a complete unit

Last I bought were just over £5 each

Not easy to change without a few tools I am afraid

Easy with air tools. Home mechanic, nut splitter or hacksaw down the nut

Google

Fiat 50703296
Think there’s a European company doing anti rollbar bushes and clamps separately, but that involves cutting off your existing, so requires a bit of confidence to tackle.
Ive put poly bushes on Fiat anti-rollbar bushes before wehn I haven’t wanted to fork out for the complete bar.
I’m on the phone so not able to look for links off computer, think it’s ‘euro4x4’ but could be mistaken

I don't care too much about drop links and only change them when they start to rattle

The control arms are a different matter

The quality of the rubber varies considerably, some only lasts a year. Compared to the originals which normally last around 10

Personly I would only buy from a known supplier

Also the stiffness of the bush effects how the car grips, tyre wear and feels

On the bright side its normally only a 10 minute job (one did go south this week)

If it's you only car it's worth buying a spare pinch bolt and nut. They were very small and occasionally snap when undoing them

Last edited:
I fitted Magneti Marelli bottom arms to our 2007 1.2 when the steering started to tramline on road repair banding. When I got it apart, one rear bush was trashed the other was well on it's way. Both were original parts. It had passed an MoT with no advisories just 6 months before, so I think they go from OK to knackered very quickly.

They can be a faff to fit. I had to use red rubber grease on the sides of the front bushes because they simply would not go into place. Odd really because the rubber is bonded to a centre bush but the grease is harmless and helped the assembly. One rear bush was very hard to align for it's retaining bolt. The bolt was checked without the arm and threads were fine. I got there in the end but it took a lot of faffing to find the sweet spot.

The bolts go all the way through and the thread ends are always rusty. A smear of anti seize all the way down the threads makes sense.

Drop links may or may not come off easily. They are cheap enough to not bother fighting with. Just slip them down with a grinder and slitting disc. Cut most of the way down but take care - those discs will easily chop into the anti roll bar. Slit the nut and break it apart with a screwdriver. When you fit the new drop links, put a dab of paste into the hex end and along the threads. Next time, clean out the goo for the allen key and the nuts won't jam half way out.

I fitted Magneti Marelli bottom arms to our 2007 1.2 when the steering started to tramline on road repair banding. When I got it apart, one rear bush was trashed the other was well on it's way. Both were original parts. It had passed an MoT with no advisories just 6 months before, so I think they go from OK to knackered very quickly.

They can be a faff to fit. I had to use red rubber grease on the sides of the front bushes because they simply would not go into place. Odd really because the rubber is bonded to a centre bush but the grease is harmless and helped the assembly. One rear bush was very hard to align for it's retaining bolt. The bolt was checked without the arm and threads were fine. I got there in the end but it took a lot of faffing to find the sweet spot.

The bolts go all the way through and the thread ends are always rusty. A smear of anti seize all the way down the threads makes sense.

Drop links may or may not come off easily. They are cheap enough to not bother fighting with. Just slip them down with a grinder and slitting disc. Cut most of the way down but take care - those discs will easily chop into the anti roll bar. Slit the nut and break it apart with a screwdriver. When you fit the new drop links, put a dab of paste into the hex end and along the threads. Next time, clean out the goo for the allen key and the nuts won't jam half way out.
Many thanks for the advice.
not sure where you can buy Magnetti Morelli.
Shop4parts it’s either “original birth or FCA “ whatever they are, and Autodoc is Ridex. Autodoc seems the easiest to buy because you can get the complete package. Anybody any knowledge of Ridex, bearing in mind I have a 14 year old Panda, so not worth buying top of the range to last

Many thanks for the advice.
not sure where you can buy Magnetti Morelli.
Shop4parts it’s either “original birth or FCA “ whatever they are, and Autodoc is Ridex. Autodoc seems the easiest to buy because you can get the complete package. Anybody any knowledge of Ridex, bearing in mind I have a 14 year old Panda, so not worth buying top of the range to last
FCA is genuine FIAT.
Magneti Marelli are OEM.
Original Birth is good quality aftermarket.
Ridex is a cheap brand which I have fitted when people have supplied their own parts. Quality generally seemed lower than Original Birth but not as bad as some generic "eBay Specials". Not sure I would fit out of choice, but probably OK if working on a tight budget.

FCA is genuine FIAT.
Magneti Marelli are OEM.
Original Birth is good quality aftermarket.
Ridex is a cheap brand which I have fitted when people have supplied their own parts. Quality generally seemed lower than Original Birth but not as bad as some generic "eBay Specials". Not sure I would fit out of choice, but probably OK if working on a tight budget.
Thanks for the explanation.
Looks like I’ll stick with Shop4parts then.

A quick look on eBay, found nothing from Original Birth or Magneti-Marelli. But loads from Febi-Bilstein. They are a good brand and prices look sensible.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
A quick look on eBay, found nothing from Original Birth or Magneti-Marelli. But loads from Febi-Bilstein. They are a good brand and prices look sensible.

Are you sure that's a genuine part

Febi suspention parts normally come in a white box covered in red diagonal squares
With the copyright logo next to it. Not a cheap brown box

A high percentage of parts on ebay and amazon will not be what the advert says

Birth
OEM
FCA
Febi

And so on are only words in an advert to draw customers in

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
It's eBay impossible to know. The only way is to find a trusted supplier. But when I searched, a very large proportion were labelled as Febi.

I've just checked Autodoc. They have SKF arms for £40.84 plus delivery. It's got to be worth an extra £20 for a pair with a known good name. They also have Magneti-Marelli for £52.51 which similar to what I paid some time ago.

S4P have a no name brand. It's cheap but who knows how good it is.

Last edited:
Are you sure that's a genuine part

Febi suspention parts normally come in a white box covered in red diagonal squares
With the copyright logo next to it. Not a cheap brown box

A high percentage of parts on ebay and amazon will not be what the advert says

Birth
OEM
FCA
Febi

And so on are only words in an advert to draw customers in
I’ve had Febi stuff with the plain box but labelled like that in the advert and…
Like this with the checkered pattern…

Many thanks to everybody. Lots to look at!
As the man says” you pays your money you takes your choice”
Just one thing, when the jobs done, am I right that it would need tracking to be checked?

Many thanks to everybody. Lots to look at!
As the man says” you pays your money you takes your choice”
Just one thing, when the jobs done, am I right that it would need tracking to be checked?
If the tracking is fine before hand

Good quility parts come off and going back

The tracking does not change

I just do one side at a time, leave the anti roll bar link in place, undo the 3 bolts, drift out the pinch bolt, smash out the old part with a 5lb hammer.

Because the other sides spring is compressed and is still connected to the side you are working on via the anti-roll bar link, the Hub is raised by several inches making it easier to fit the new arm.

Final timing of the bolts that go through the rubber bushes has to be done with the Wheels on the ground

pinch bolt the nut goes to the front, no idea why

all going well it is an easy job normally about 10 minutes

Back