Technical Another OBD Scanner

Currently reading:
Technical Another OBD Scanner

I have the air bag light on, I'll have to send it off to Crash Data in Liverpool. But before I do that I would like an OBD Scanner, not just to see if any seat belt fault shows up before the ECU, but to use for other things on my 2016 Ducato 130.
I don't have a PC all my computers are Apple, so an alternative to Multieuscan is what I'm after. There seems to be too many Scanners that claim to be the best, can you advise me on which to choose. Thank you.

I have the air bag light on, I'll have to send it off to Crash Data in Liverpool. But before I do that I would like an OBD Scanner, not just to see if any seat belt fault shows up before the ECU, but to use for other things on my 2016 Ducato 130.
I don't have a PC all my computers are Apple, so an alternative to Multieuscan is what I'm after. There seems to be too many Scanners that claim to be the best, can you advise me on which to choose. Thank you.

Look into ALFAOBD..

It may be easier for you

I believe most programs now have a mobile phone variant..

Ok for code reading 🙂.
But a bit risky if programming over the air 🤔

see my other reply.
there is no sensible fiat friendly ap sofware for apple users the most sensible advice is forget apple and use alternative either Multiecuscan and windows laptop or an Android device phone or tablet and Alfaobd. The Apple annual subscription £50-60 is enough for most to accept windows for this application. For airbag and proxi applications usb is more appropriate (safer) than Bluetooth. I can use either with my laptop and samsung android stuff. I have both and Multiecuscan is my preference but Alfaobd and phone is always in the van. PS of no relevance to you but as a linux user I also have to capitulate and use windows albeit on a 10 year old machine.

I had the airbag light local garage found 2 error codes, low voltage seat belt switch, cleared jem and it has been fine since then (2 months)

I've managed to run MultiEcuScan on my M1 MacBook (the iPad version I think). I've not tried with a registered version as I think you would need to pay annually.

I've managed to run MultiEcuScan on my M1 MacBook (the iPad version I think). I've not tried with a registered version as I think you would need to pay annually.
The licence is 50 Euros.. And it's then yours..
Can transfer from machine to machine

So don't think there is anything more than the @£43 outlay

That’s interesting, how have you connected your Mac to the OBD port?
I've only tried with bluetooth using my OBDLink MX+ and hasn't worked so far, but that could have been my fault. It may be ok with a USB connection but I don't have a suitable OBD reader for that. I'm going to update the firmware on my MX+ and try again.

I guess I could install Windows on my Mac and then use the Multiecuscan software.
Personally, I'd not use an emulator but run it in a native Windows system. You can get a cheap Windows 7 laptop and avoid any compatibility issues. MES will likely need some adjustments to i/o parameters anyway, so my advice is to forget a Mac as it may introduce subtle problems you can do without. They may be hard to pin down, and MES deserves all the help it can get to be 100% fluent Fiat.

I guess I could install Windows on my Mac and then use the Multiecuscan software.

I run mes (free version) on windows 11 on my MacBook Air M1 it works fine but there’s no usb port on the MBA and from what I’ve read you have to tell windows to change the usb port to a serial port for the scanner and I have a usb a to usb c adapter but I’m not sure that I can change that port on the MBA via windows so I’ll probably buy a cheap windows laptop.

I run mes (free version) on windows 11 on my MacBook Air M1 it works fine but there’s no usb port on the MBA and from what I’ve read you have to tell windows to change the usb port to a serial port for the scanner and I have a usb a to usb c adapter but I’m not sure that I can change that port on the MBA via windows so I’ll probably buy a cheap windows laptop.
I’ve an adapter for my MacBook Air so I can connect to a USB device.

I’ve an adapter for my MacBook Air so I can connect to a USB device.
Thanks I’ve one too I use it to back up files so I can use it to connect the scanner to the car, don’t you have to ‘tell’ mes to use the serial port in the laptop though?

Here‘s my adapter.

image.jpg

I downloaded the free car scanner app on to my chromebook, and use it with the streetwise wifi plug from Euro Car Parts
It has picked up codes my other code readers (2 cheap Chinese code readers off ebay) missed
Gives a huge amount of info - scary the number of sensors there must be under the Ducato bonnet to read all that
Makes you realise how much there is to go wrong on Euro 6d

I see from the release notes of version 2.2 of the IOS software (1 week ago), that this latest version "fixed user interface problems when running on M1/M2 MacBooks." This implies some level of official support for MacBooks now for using the IOS version. Note I haven't yet had success linking this v2.2 running on my M1 MacBook to my bluetooth OBDLink MX+ even though I'm running the latest firmware but it may be fine with a USB link.

Multiecuscan on Macbook.jpeg

I believe most programs now have a mobile phone variant..
Ok for code reading 🙂.
But a bit risky if programming over the air 🤔

Yes I wouldn't like to do any programming with my mobile phone - fat fingers on tiny touchscreen buttons.
But the latest chromebooks do google apps - and in my experience are far quicker and far more reliable than a windows laptop because there is much less crap in them.

Back