General X244 2006 Haynes manual and OBD reader question.

Currently reading:
General X244 2006 Haynes manual and OBD reader question.

Good morning fellow Ducato Nerds :) :)

Calling in from Denmark.
I need to do a complete service on my car - cambelt, pulleys, waterpump, oil change (engine and aut. transmission) filters etc.

I am on the lookout for the most complete workshop manual available for the x244 series.
I am aware of the ePER, but I do not have a cd-burner - I don't even have a laptop with cd - sooo... what to do?

Is the Haynes manuals in their new electronic form in combination with an OBD reader still as good as the old printed books?

Are there better manuals out there?

And could you please give me hints to which OBD reader currently is the best for my vehicle?

Thank you very much in advance for any good advice here.

Attachments

• 20230827_091910.jpg
    20230827_091910.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 65

Multiecuscan is fiat (family) software for windows laptops that speaks fiat. Unfortunately not all obddongles /adaptor also speak fiat. There are both bluetooth and usb version. Obdlink products will work out the box, many cheap elm type products will not work.

Last edited:
Good morning fellow Ducato Nerds :) :)

Calling in from Denmark.
I need to do a complete service on my car - cambelt, pulleys, waterpump, oil change (engine and aut. transmission) filters etc.

I am on the lookout for the most complete workshop manual available for the x244 series.
I am aware of the ePER, but I do not have a cd-burner - I don't even have a laptop with cd - sooo... what to do?

Is the Haynes manuals in their new electronic form in combination with an OBD reader still as good as the old printed books?

Are there better manuals out there?

And could you please give me hints to which OBD reader currently is the best for my vehicle?

Thank you very much in advance for any good advice here.
The search for a manual may be mission impossible. I am not aware of a printed manual for the x244, and my understanding is that the Haynes manuals do not relate to the x244.
ePER is mentioned, this is a parts register not amanual, but parts diagrams can be useful in showing what fits where.
Surprisingly eLearn has not been mentioned, perhaps you were referring to eLearn when you mentioned ePER?

There is an online copy of eLearn for the 2.8jtd x244 available on the Russian 4cardata website, but it suffers from cropped text on some of the descriptions, and some diagrams are obscured by oversize text. Investigate here.

A basic OBD reader will allow you to read codes, and reset alarms, for deeper investigatio you would need software such as Multiecuscan, or AlfaOBD.

For changing the 2.8jtd cambelt, I have used Freespirit's guide, to which I have added some annotations relating to spanner and guide roller sizes. The engine will need supporting during this procedure, as adequate access can only be obtained when the RH engine mounting is removed. As my vehicle has only light use, I have not attempted a water pump change. That would of course mean draining the coolant, which means via the radiator hoses, which use proprietary hose clips.

Changing engine oil and filters is fairly routine, but I do not have an automatic box.

The search for a manual may be mission impossible. I am not aware of a printed manual for the x244, and my understanding is that the Haynes manuals do not relate to the x244.
ePER is mentioned, this is a parts register not amanual, but parts diagrams can be useful in showing what fits where.
Surprisingly eLearn has not been mentioned, perhaps you were referring to eLearn when you mentioned ePER?

There is an online copy of eLearn for the 2.8jtd x244 available on the Russian 4cardata website, but it suffers from cropped text on some of the descriptions, and some diagrams are obscured by oversize text. Investigate here.

A basic OBD reader will allow you to read codes, and reset alarms, for deeper investigatio you would need software such as Multiecuscan, or AlfaOBD.

For changing the 2.8jtd cambelt, I have used Freespirit's guide, to which I have added some annotations relating to spanner and guide roller sizes. The engine will need supporting during this procedure, as adequate access can only be obtained when the RH engine mounting is removed. As my vehicle has only light use, I have not attempted a water pump change. That would of course mean draining the coolant, which means via the radiator hoses, which use proprietary hose clips.

Changing engine oil and filters is fairly routine, but I do not have an automatic box.
Yes, it was the elearn I was thinking of.🤣🤣
But Alas, no way to get it on my laptop.
Haynes DO i fact cover the x244 2.8 jtd version, but of course only digital.
But I might have found a way.
When byuing a semi professionel OBD reader at a Danish supplier, you are able to buy full access to the original workshop manuals for up to 5 makes including all their models, with license to use for a year.
Sadly, thereafter it's an annual fee.😭

Yes, it was the elearn I was thinking of.🤣🤣
But Alas, no way to get it on my laptop.
Haynes DO i fact cover the x244 2.8 jtd version, but of course only digital.
But I might have found a way.
When byuing a semi professionel OBD reader at a Danish supplier, you are able to buy full access to the original workshop manuals for up to 5 makes including all their models, with license to use for a year.
Sadly, thereafter it's an annual fee.😭
You don't need a DVD/CD drive. Download the elearn file and use a 'virtual cd' program such as Daemon tools lite, or GBurner or similar to make it into an .iso file, then mount it when starting elearn. Once the .iso file is mounted, start elearn and it will ask to insert cd, so just tell it where you have it mounted, as in which letter of the virtual drive your progaram has given it, in my case drive 'G'.

Back